University Hospital Mainz
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology (500966)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hepatology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of gastrointestinal and liver diseases. The priorities of the department include the treatment of the gastrointestinal cancer, chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), pathologies of the liver and bile ducts. The specialists of the department also specialize in caring for patients before and after liver transplantation. The department has high-precision diagnostic examinations and all modern types of therapy, which guarantee the optimal results. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Peter Galle.
The key focus of the department’s clinical activities is the detection and treatment of gastrointestinal cancers, including the pancreas, biliary tracts and liver. Since the department is a part of the Interdisciplinary Cancer Center Mainz, the treatment is provided in close cooperation with the specialists from related fields. Each clinical case is considered at the regular tumor boards, during which the optimal treatment strategy is selected. The main therapeutic options include chemotherapy and radiation therapy, as well as the participation in clinical trials. Surgical treatment is carried out in collaboration with the Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pancreatic diseases
- Acute pancreatitis
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Autoimmune pancreatitis
- Hereditary pancreatitis
- Pancreatic cysts
- Pancreatic tumors
- Exocrine and endocrine pancreatic insufficiency
- Pancreatic pseudocyst
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers
- Tumors of the esophagus, stomach, intestines, pancreas, gallbladder and bile ducts
- Tumors of the immune system in the gastrointestinal tract (MALT lymphomas)
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors
- Hormonal (neuroendocrine) tumors, carcinoids
- Metastases in cancer of unknown primary
- Abdominal metastases of other tumors (especially liver metastases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of the liver diseases
- Liver damages due to malnutrition and toxic effects (alcoholic liver disease, fatty hepatosis, toxic influence of drugs)
- Autoimmune liver diseases (autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, cross syndrome)
- Genetic and congenital liver diseases (hemochromatosis, Wilson's disease, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, liver damage in cystic fibrosis)
- Viral hepatitis and secondary hepatitis in infectious diseases
- Liver diseases during pregnancy
- Enlarged liver of unknown origin
- Cirrhosis and its complications
- Patient care before and after liver transplantation
- Various consultations, including nutrition
- Other medical services
- 1978 - 1980 Study of Human Medicine at the Free University of Berlin.
- 1980 - 1983 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Marburg.
- 1982 Clinical practice abroad (while studying), Internal Medicine and Surgery, Hammersmith Hospital and Ealing Hospital (London, UK).
- 1983 - 1984 Graduate Student, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Texas, Houston, USA (Fulbright Scholar Program).
- 1984 - 1985 One-year practice for Medical Students at the University Hospitals Heidelberg and Mannheim.
- 1981 - 1985 Doctoral thesis. Subject: "Induction of the DNA replication in primary culture of rat liver cells with the help of epidermal growth factor, cyproterone acetate and hepatocyte growth factor", Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Marburg (Prof. Dr. R. Schulte-Hermann).
- 25.11.1985 Admission to medical practice.
- 1985 - 1988 Research Fellow at the Center for Molecular Biology Heidelberg in the working group of Prof. Dr. H. Schaller.
- 1988 - 1998 Research Fellow, Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 03.03.1993 Specialization in Internal Medicine.
- 01.10.1993 Senior Physician.
- 28.10.1993 Habilitation. Subject: "About the replication of hepatitis B viruses in vitro".
- 08.02.1994 Venia Legendi in High School.
- 28.11.1996 Specialization in Gastroenterology.
- 01.05.1998 Head of the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Mainz.
- 12.01 - 03.05 Member of the Supervisory Board of the University Hospital Mainz.
- 04.05 - 04.08 Leading Chief Physician and Chairman of the Board at the University Hospital Mainz.
- German Research Foundation.
- Dr. Mildred Scheel Foundation.
- German-Israeli Foundation.
- Wilhelm Sander Foundation.
- 1991 Adolf Kussmaul Prize of the South-West German Society of Gastroenterology.
- 1991 Encouraging Award of the Bavarian Society of Gastroenterology.
- 1995 1st Prize (Posterpreis) of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- 1997 Thannhauser Award, German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
- The American Journal of Physiology: Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology.
- German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS)
- Board Member of the South-West German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Board Member of the Working Group on Gastroenterology in Rhineland-Palatinate and Saarland (GARPS).
- Board Member of the German Society for Internal Medicine in Mainz.
- Society for Internal Medicine Rheinland-Pfalz (SPIG).
- German Society for Internal Medicine (DGI).
- German Cancer Society.
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD).
- European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.