University Hospital Mainz
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology (500981)
Specialized in: rheumatology, clinical immunology
About the department
The Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology at the University Hospital Mainz offers modern diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases causing pain and functional disorders in the musculoskeletal system. The experienced specialists of the department select the most effective drug therapy for each patient and complement it with the appropriate types of physiotherapy. All the therapeutic measures are aimed at improving patient's health and quality of life. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Schwarting.
It should be noted that one of the important focuses of the department is the improvement of treatment methods, therefore the patients have the opportunity to take part in the clinical trials that are carried out here on a regular basis. The main priorities of the trials are the improvement of therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and psoriatic arthritis.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Medical history gathering and physical examination
- Examination and consultation (by one medical specialist)
- Long-term blood pressure monitoring
- Sonography of the internal organs
- Sonography of all joints
- Joint puncture and synovial fluid testing
- Capillary microscopy
- Special laboratory tests
- Bone mineral density measurement (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Prolonged electrocardiography and transthoracic echocardiography (in collaboration with the Department of Cardiology)
- Pulmonary function testing with blood gas analysis (in collaboration with the Department of Pulmonology)
- Radiological examinations (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Other diagnostic services
The main clinical focuses of the department include the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Inflammatory joint diseases (arthritis)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (especially chronic polyarthritis)
- Seronegative spondyloarthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis (Bechterew's disease)
- Reactive arthritis
- Reiter's syndrome
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Enteropathic arthritis
- Connective tissue inflammatory diseases (collagenosis)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Lupus nephritis
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Polymyositis and dermatomyositis
- Progressive systemic scleroderma
- Sjogren's syndrome
- Mixed connective tissue disease
- Inflammatory vascular diseases (vasculitides)
- Wegener's granulomatosis
- Churg-Strauss syndrome
- Microscopic polyarteritis
- Polyarteritis nodosa
- Kawasaki disease
- Temporal arteritis
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Horton's disease
- Takayasu’s disease
- Care for the pregnant patients with rheumatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other rheumatic diseases
- 1984 - 1991 Study of Human Medicine at the Rhenish Friedrich-Wilhelm University of Bonn, Karolinska Institute (Stockholm) and Uppsala University (Sweden).
- 1987 - 1989 Medical practice (while studying) in Bonn, Berlin, Munich, Stockholm, Uppsala.
- 1990 - 1991 One-year practice, Ostersund Regional Hospital (Uppsala University) and Mechernich Regional Hospital (University of Bonn).
- 1991 Intern, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz (Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. h.c. Meyer zum Buschenfelde).
- 1992 Doctoral thesis defence, Institute of Neurobiochemistry, University of Bonn (magna cum laude).
- 1992 - 1996 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz.
- 1996 - 1997 Research Fellow, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston (Director: Prof. Dr. Barry Brenner).
- 1997 - 1998 Research Fellow, Harvard Institute of Medicine, Harvard University, Boston.
- Since 1998 Establishment of a Research Group on Nephrology, Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology at the Department and Polyclinic of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Mainz.
- 1999 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 2001 Additional qualification in Nephrology.
- Since 2001 Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine I (Rheumatology, Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, Intensive Care, Clinical Immunology).
- Since 2001 Venia Legendi, Internal Medicine.
- Since 2002 Head of the Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology.
- 2005 Additional qualification in Hypertensiology (German Hypertension League).
- 2005 - 2006 Advanced training in Rheumatology, Department of Rheumatology at the Charite Hospital.
- 2006 Additional qualification in Rheumatology.
- 2006 W2 Professor and Head of the Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology at the University Hospital Mainz.
- Since 2006 Director of the ACURA Rheumatology Center (previously: Rheumatology Center Sana Bad Kreuznach).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.