University Hospital Mainz
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolic Disorders, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine (500987)
Specialized in: endocrinology, metabolic disorders, diabetology, nutritional medicine
About the department
The Department of Endocrinology, Metabolic Disorders, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Matthias Weber.
The department specializes in the treatment of all hormonal and metabolic disorders, diabetes mellitus and its complications, such as diabetic foot syndrome, diseases of the pituitary gland, thyroid and parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, sex glands. In addition, the department's scope of tasks includes the treatment of osteoporosis and lipid metabolism disorders, endocrine and neuroendocrine tumors. All therapeutic measures meet the highest standards of modern university medicine.
The department is the national certified Diabetes Center for the treatment of type I and II diabetes mellitus, diabetic foot syndrome (certificate of the German Diabetes Society), as well as part of the certified Vascular Center of the University Hospital Mainz, the certified Center of Excellence for Neuroendocrine Tumors of the European level.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of the thyroid diseases
- Hyperthyroidism (thyroid gland hyperfunction)
- Functional autonomy of the thyroid gland
- Diffuse toxic goiter (Basedow's disease)
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis
- Endocrine ophthalmopathy
- Thyroid cancer
- Diagnosis and treatment of adrenal diseases
- Adrenal tumors
- Cushing's syndrome
- Conn's syndrome
- Addison's disease
- Adrenal cortex congenital dysfunction (adrenogenital syndrome)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pituitary diseases
- Pituitary tumors
- Cushing's disease
- Pituitary failure
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Diabetes insipidus
- Diagnostics and treatment of the metabolic bone disorders
- Parathyroid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders in women
- Puberty disorders
- Menstrual disorders
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Androgenetic alopecia
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders in men
- Puberty disorders
- Erectile dysfunction
- Fertility disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of hereditary diseases
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia
- Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome
- Hereditary pheochromocytoma – paraganglioma syndrome
- Congenital dysfunction of the adrenal cortex (adrenogenital syndrome)
- Polyglandular autoimmune syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders in elderly people
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Secondary arterial hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of other endocrine diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuroendocrine, endocrine tumors (within the interdisciplinary center)
- Ultrasound examinations (including contrast-enhanced ones)
- Endoscopic diagnostics of the digestive tract (esophagoduodenoscopy and ileocolonoscopy), also, if necessary, in combination with endosonography
- Classical and capsule endoscopy
- Computed tomography (with and without contrast enhancement)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (if necessary with a special contrast agent for liver)
- Somatostatin receptor scintigraphy with radioactive isotopes similar to somatostatin (111-Indium Octreotid)
- Metaiodobenzylguanidine scintigraphy (MIBG)
- Ga68-DOTATO PET-CT
- 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) PET
- Cardiac functional diagnostics
- Other services
- Diagnostics and treatment of type I and II diabetes mellitus
- Diagnostics and treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus
- Insulin pump therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypoglycemia
- Islet cell transplantation
- Artificial pancreas implantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetic foot syndrome
- Nutrition counseling in diabetes
- Special courses for diabetes patients
- Other services
- Medical care for malnutrition
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy
- Nutrition through the probe
- Parenteral nutrition
- Additional nutrition
- Development of special diets and nutritional recommendations for specific diseases and clinical conditions (for example, after gastrointestinal surgery, in chronic kidney, liver diseases, food intolerance, allergies, etc.)
- Recommendations for nutrition in type I and II diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes
- Other medical services
- 1980 - 1986 Study of Human Medicine at the Ruhr University in Bochum and Rhenish Friedrich-Wilhelm University of Bonn.
- 1987 - 2000 Admission to medical practice, doctoral thesis defense, training for getting the title of Doctor of Medicine in Internal Medicine (Endocrinology, Metabolic Disorders, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine), Department of Internal Medicine II, Grosshadern Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1990 - 1992 German Research Foundation Scholarship for training abroad, Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, University of California, Los Angeles.
- 1998 Habilitation, Internal Medicine, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 2000 - 2002 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Cologne.
- Since 2002 Invitation to the position of Professor and Head of the Department of Endocrinology, Metabolic Disorders, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine (successor of Prof. Beyer) at the University Hospital Mainz.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolic Disorders, Diabetology and Nutritional Medicine.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.