University Hospital Mainz
Department of Pulmonology (500993)
Specialized in: pulmonology
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology at the University Hospital Mainz offers the prevention, diagnostics and treatment of the full range of diseases of lungs, bronchi, mediastinum and pleura. The department specializes in lung and pleural tumors, obstructive respiratory diseases, including bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), interstitial diseases, pulmonary fibrosis, etc. It is also one of the largest Lung Transplantation Centers in Germany. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Roland Buhl.
The department offers all diagnostic and therapeutic options for patients with lung and pleural diseases. Also, thanks to cooperation of the specialists in internal medicine, pulmonology and oncology, there is provided optimal treatment for all stages and forms of pulmonary diseases. It should also be noted that the department performs a large number of lung transplantations every year and it is one of the leaders in lung transplantation in Germany.
According to the FOCUS magazine, the Chief Physician of the department Prof. Buhl, has been among the best German doctors in the treatment of bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and pulmonary emphysema for more than 20 years.
The service range of the department includes diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Lung and pleural tumors
- Obstructive respiratory diseases
- Bronchial asthma
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, including complications of emphysema
- Interstitial lung diseases and pulmonary fibrosis
- Pleural diseases
- Pneumonia (lung inflammation)
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Sleep apnea syndrome
- Pulmonary embolism
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases and pathologies of the respiratory system
Education, Professional Experience
- 1975 - 1981 Study of Medicine at the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- 1983 Doctoral thesis defence (magna cum laude).
- 1982 - 1984 Institute of Immunology and Serology at the University of Heidelberg.
- 1984 Lung Clinic Heckeshorn, Berlin.
- 1984 - 1987 Department of Pulmonology at the Center for Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1988 - 1989 Member of the International Foundation for Molecular Medicine, Department of Pulmonology, Bethesda National Institute of Health, Maryland, USA.
- 1990 - 1994 Department of Pulmonology at the Center for Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1993 Physician in Internal Medicine.
- 1994 Doctoral thesis defense in Internal Medicine.
- 1995 - 1997 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1996 Invitation to the position of University Professor in Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Hamburg.
- 1997 Specialization "Pulmonology".
- 1997 Invitation to the position of University Professor in "Pulmonology", Department of Internal Medicine, Rhenish Friedrich Wilhelm University of Bonn.
- 1997 University Professor in "Internal Medicine and Pulmonology", Department of Medicine III, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1998 Allergology.
Collaboration in Scientific Communities
- Chairman of the Board, Mainz Working Group on Pulmonology and Allergology.
- Chairman of the Board, Rhineland-Palatinate Cancer Center.
- 1998 - 2002 Member of the Board, Rhineland-Palatinate and Saar Professional Association of Pulmonologists.
- 1998 - 2000 Scientific Council of the Journal Pneumologie, German Society of Pneumology.
- Member of the Working Group on Bronchoalveolar Lavage, German Society of Pulmonology.
- 1998 - 2000 Deputy Chairman of the Department of Cell Biology, German Society of Pneumology.
- Scientific Council, Society for Study of Lung and Breath.
- Board Member, German Respiratory Tract League.
- Medical Research Council, German Allergy and Asthma Association.
- Scientific Secretary of the Medizinische Klinik Journal, German Society of Internal Medicine.
- National Representative of the American Thoracic Society.
- Member of the Long Range Planning Committee, European Respiratory Society.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Pulmonology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.