University Hospital Mainz
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology (501020)
Specialized in: pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Mainz is one of the leading Pediatric Centers for Pediatric Gastroenterological and Liver Diseases in Germany. The department specializes in the treatment of diseases and pathologies of the upper gastrointestinal tract, inflammatory bowel diseases (for example, Crohn's disease), pancreatic diseases, etc. Another focus of the department is on the treatment of cholestatic, inflammatory liver diseases, etc. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Stephan Gehring.
The department widely conducts endoscopic examinations to diagnose and treat gastroenterological diseases. In addition, it also installs percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG). The diagnostics covers the whole range of procedures, including laboratory and ultrasound diagnostics, respiratory tests, pH measurement, etc.
The hepatologists of the department, who treat all liver diseases and associated pathologies, enjoy an excellent reputation. An active research (for example, molecular genetic studies and research on hepatitis B and C) contributes to the early introduction of the latest medical advances in clinical practice. It goes without saying that the hepatologists have in their arsenal an exhaustive range of diagnostic options.
The gastroenterological spectrum of the department includes the treatment of the following diseases:
- Food intolerance
- Cow's milk protein intolerance
- Lactose / fructose intolerance
- Celiac disease
- Enzyme deficiency (sucrase and isomaltase deficiency)
- Other types of pathology
- Diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Gastroesophageal reflux, including that complicated by reflux esophagitis
- Gastritis (for example, associated with Helicobacter pylori)
- Gastric and duodenal ulcers
- Intestinal bleeding, for example, in esophageal varices
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Crohn's disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Other types of colitis / proctitis
- Diagnosis of intestinal bleedings (polyps, hemangiomas)
- Pancreatic diseases
- Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (cystic fibrosis, Shwachman syndrome)
- And other gastrointestinal diseases
The hepatologic spectrum covers the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- Congenital metabolic disorders
- Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Fructose intolerance
- Gierke disease (impaired glycogen metabolism)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Wilson's disease
- Cholestatic disease
- Biliary tract atresia / hypoplasia
- Hereditary liver diseases (Byler disease, Alagille syndrome, etc.)
- Inflammatory liver diseases
- Hepatitis due to infection with hepatotropic viruses (HBV, HCV, EBV, HIV, CMV, etc.)
- Bacterial and parasitic hepatitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- And other liver diseases and pathologies
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.