University Hospital Mainz
Department of Neonatology (501032)
Specialized in: neonatology
About the department
The Department of Neonatology at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of newborns and premature babies with various diseases. The department has the very latest therapies that allow for a full recovery even for very small premature and newborn babies with severe pathologies. The department treats about 75 children with birth weight less than 1500 g every year. Of particular interest is the treatment of newborns with malformations, who in most cases require early intensive or surgical care. The outstanding quality of medical services is confirmed by the status of the Level I Perinatal Center. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Eva Mildenberger.
All specialists of the department work in close cooperation with doctors from the Department of Obstetrics and Perinatal Diagnostics, the Department of Pediatric Surgery, as well as with other necessary disciplines. A highly qualified medical team consisting of experienced doctors and specially trained nursing staff works with young patients.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Neonatological intensive care and monitoring of premature and newborn babies
- Counseling services for parents in the care of healthy newborns
- Diagnostics and treatment of respiratory diseases, congenital malformations, infections, and early eating disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of various diseases in newborns and premature babies in collaboration with other pediatric departments
- Heart diseases
- Endocrine disorders
- Kidney diseases
- Urologic diseases
- Neurologic disorders
- Respiratory diseases
- Genetic disorders
- Neurosurgical pathologies
- Maxillofacial defects
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- Other focuses
The service range of the department includes:
- Care for babies in incubators
- Mechanical ventilation
- Non-invasive ventilation
- Parenteral nutrition
- Breast feeding
- Hemodynamic support
- Hypothermia treatment
- Pain therapy
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Echocardiography (ECG)
- Heart rate analysis, 24-hour ECG
- Hearing testing (computer brainstem audiometry)
- Pulse oximetry
- Sonography of the skull, abdominal organs and hip joints
- Screening of metabolic disorders
- Percutaneous measurement of oxygen and carbon dioxide partial pressure
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Neonatology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.