University Hospital Mainz
Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, Internal Intensive Care (501950)
Specialized in: general and interventional cardiology, internal intensive care
About the department
The Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, Internal Intensive Care at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The department enjoys an excellent reputation at the national and international levels. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Münzel, an eminent specialist, who ranks among the top German doctors listed in the prestigious Focus magazine rating of 2018.
The specialists of the department serve about 11,000 inpatients and 20,000 outpatients annually, and also perform about 600 heart valve implantations. In addition, the department implements a special preventive program, within which patients undergo a comprehensive examination of the cardiovascular system (2-3 days complex of individually selected examinations).
The department has 135 beds. Also, the department has an Intensive Care Unit, a specialized station for the diagnostics and treatment of coronary pathologies, a Chest Pain Unit, a Unit for Heart Valve Implantation, and four Heart Catheterization Laboratories. Such a rich infrastructure combined with the high professionalism of doctors allows the department to provide optimal therapy results.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Coronary heart disease
- Subacute myocardial infarction
- Heart failure
- Inflammatory heart diseases (pericarditis, endocarditis)
- Heart muscle diseases
- Heart valve diseases
- Thromboembolism, leg vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism
- Arterial hypertension
- Violations of water, electrolyte and acid-base balance
- Peripheral vascular diseases
- Other cardiac pathologies
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Coronary angiography and angioplasty/stent implantation
- Patient care before and after heart valve surgery, coronary artery bypass grafting
- Intensive therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of chest pains
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart valve diseases (most often – minimally invasive methods of therapy)
- Invasive cardiac procedures
- Right and left heart catheterization
- Balloon dilatation
- Stent implantation
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty
- Myocardial biopsy
- Treatment of congenital heart defects in adults
- Catheter procedures for the treatment of valve diseases
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Mitral valve therapy (MitraClip, annuloplasty, valve replacement)
- Care for patients with prosthetic heart valves (Valve-in-Valve, Valve-in-Ring, MitraClip-in-Ring)
- Tricuspid valve therapy
- Echocardiography (including transesophageal echocardiography, stress echocardiography)
- Cardiac CT and MRI (in collaboration with the Department of Radiology)
- Cardiac functional diagnostics
- Stress electrocardiography (on a stationary bike or a treadmill)
- Resting electrocardiography
- Long-term electrocardiography
- Consultations on all cardiological issues
- Heart disease prevention
- Other medical services
- 1979 - 1985 Study of Medicine at the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg.
- 1985 State examination and doctoral thesis defense (Dr. med.).
- 1985 - 1987 Scholarship of the German Cardiac Society at the Institute of Applied Physiology (Prof. Bassenge), Freiburg.
- 1988 - 1993 Research Assistant at the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg.
- 1993 - 1995 Doctoral Scholarship of the German Research Foundation at the Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- 1995 Habilitation at the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg.
- 1995 - 2004 Senior Physician at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2003 Invitation to the position of C3 Professor in Internal Medicine, Medical Faculty of the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2004 Invitation to the position of C4 Professor in Internal Medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- Co-initiator of the Gutenberg Health Study Project (currently the world's largest prospective cohort study).
- 2007 Initiator and Board Member of Stiftung Mainzer Herz.
- Since 2008, Chairman of the Committee for Certification of Chest Pain Units in Germany
- 2009 Initiator and Board Member of Integrated Research and Treatment Section (IFB) of the Center for Thrombosis and Hemostasis of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
- 2010 Press Secretary of the Center for Translational Vascular Biology (CTVB) at the University Hospital of Mainz.
- New England Journal of Medicine.
- J. Clinical Investigations.
- European Heart Journal.
- Circulation Research.
- Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- J Am College Cardiol.
- 1990 Paul Boskamp GmbH & Co. Prize, Hamburg.
- 1992 Paul Martini Prize of Medical and Pharmaceutical Research Foundation.
- 1995 Paul Martini Prize of Medical and Pharmaceutical Research Foundation.
- 1998 Albert Fraenkel Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2003 Arthur Weber Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2014 Paul Morawitz Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2014 Order of Merit of the Rhineland-Palatinate.
- 2015 "Mainzer Pfennig" (Order of Merit of the City of Mainz).
Editorial Board Activities
- J Am College Cardiol.
- Hypertension, Arterioslerosis, Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- European Society of Cardiology.
- American Heart Association (AHA).
- German Society of Cardiology.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Member of the Steering Committees of Various Studies.
- Member of the Steering Committee of Gutenberg Heart Study.
- Reviewer of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of General and Interventional Cardiology, Internal Intensive Care.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.