University Hospital Mainz
Department of Angiology (501953)
Specialized in: angiology
About the Department of Angiology at University Hospital Mainz
The Department of Angiology at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the arteries, veins and lymphatic vessels. Medical care is provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. In particularly complex clinical cases, specialists from the related fields are involved. The highly qualified doctors with a long clinical experience work with patients. They select an individual course of therapy, thereby guaranteeing optimal treatment results. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christine Espinola-Klein. According to the Focus magazine, she ranks among the top doctors in Germany.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics of circulatory disorders
- Duplex ultrasonography of vessels of the uterus, abdomen and extremities, including duplex ultrasound of the deep and superficial veins
- Peripheral arterial pressure measurement in the upper and lower extremities
- Continuous-wave Doppler of the arteries and veins in the arms and legs
- Electronic arterial oscillogram
- Venous occlusive plethysmography
- Capillary microscopy
- Percutaneous oxygen partial pressure measurement
- Provocative testing (for example, treadmill ergometry)
- Special studies to detect circulatory disorders in the fingers and toes
- Determination of the carotid artery intima-media complex thickening
- Treatment of peripheral arterial occlusive disease
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (interventional therapy)
- Elimination of risk factors (smoking cessation, control of blood glucose, cholesterol levels, blood pressure)
- Drug therapy
- Structured exercise
- Diagnostics and treatment of venous diseases (for example, deep vein thrombosis, varicose veins)
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial circulatory disorders in the fingers and toes
- Special infusion therapy
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Christine Espinola-Klein
- 1988 - 1994 Study of Human Medicine at the Saarland University.
- 1990 - 1994 Friedrich Ebert Foundation Fellow.
- 1994 Medical exam and admission to medical practice.
- 1994 Title of Doctor of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine III, Saarland University.
- 1994 - 2002 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- Since 2003, Senior Physician, Department and Polyclinic of Internal Medicine II, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2002 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 2003 Medical Specialist in Angiology.
- 2004 Medical Specialist in Cardiology.
- 2003 Habilitation and Venia Legendi (Internal Medicine).
- Since 2007, Permission for advanced training in Angiology.
- 2008 Invitation to the position of W2 Professor in Angiology, Faculty of Medicine, Carl Gustav Carus Technical University of Dresden (rejection).
- 2009 Invitation to the position of W2 Professor in Internal Medicine with a focus on Angiology, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2012 Chairman of the Congress of the Annual Meeting of the German Society of Angiology.
- 2014 - 2016 Vice President of the German Society of Angiology.
- 2015 Additional qualifications in the field of interventional therapy of arterial diseases.
- 2016 Additional qualification in Hemostaseology.
Peer Review Activities (selected)
- Circulation Research.
- European Heart Journal.
- American Heart Journal.
- American Journal of Cardiology.
- Clinical Research in Cardiology.
- 1998 and 2000 Werner Forssmann Prize, Dresden Symposium on Invasive Cardiology.
- 2002 Young Investigators Award in Angiology, German Society of Internal Medicine.
- 2002 Dagmar Eissner Award for Young Researchers, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 2007 Educational Award of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate.
- 2008 Schwarz Monheim Prize of the German Society of Angiology.
Memberships in the Professional Societies
- Board Member of the German Society of Angiology (DGA) and Chairman of the Commission for Research, Teaching and Promoting Young Researchers, Delegate of the Working Group of the Medical Scientific Professional Societies (AWMF).
- Representative of the Working Group on Angiology, German Society of Cardiology (DGK).
- Deputy Commission for Science and Support of Young Researchers, German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM).
- Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis (GTH).
- Member of the Working Group on Vascular Ultrasound Diagnostics, President of the Meeting of the Summer Academy of the Working Group on Ultrasound Diagnostics (2015), German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DGUM).
- European Society of Cardiology (ESC), Member of the Core Working Group on Peripheral Circulation.
- German Society of Atherosclerosis.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Angiology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.