University Hospital Mainz
Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery (502085)
Specialized in: general, abdominal and transplant surgery
About the department
The Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of surgical treatment of the gastrointestinal organs, endocrine and transplant surgery. Surgical interventions are performed in the modern operating rooms equipped with the state-of-art technology. The outstanding quality of medical services is confirmed by prestigious certificates of the German Society for General and Abdominal Surgery, German Cancer Society. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hauke Lang.
It should be noted that the doctors of the department have in their arsenal many sparing minimally invasive techniques, which allow to perform surgeries through the minimal skin incisions. Due to this, the hospitalization period is reduced. There is practically no blood loss, the patient experiences minimal pain and quickly returns to his usual way of life.
The service range of the department includes:
- Surgery of the upper gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, duodenal, stomach)
- Surgery of the lower gastrointestinal tract (small and large intestines, rectum, anus)
- Surgical treatment of sarcomas
- Surgical treatment of peritoneal cancers (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion)
- Endocrine surgery (interventions on the thyroid, adrenal glands)
- Surgery of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas
- Surgical treatment of the oncological diseases of liver, intestines and other organs of the gastrointestinal tract
- Surgical treatment of reflux disease
- Surgical treatment of achalasia cardia
- Surgical treatment of hernias (umbilical hernia, abdominal white line hernia, inguinal hernia)
- Liver transplantation from a closely related donor
- Pancreatic transplantation from a closely related donor
- Comprehensive consultations before liver and pancreas transplantation
- Other therapeutic options
Prof. Dr. med. Hauke Lang studied Human Medicine at the Philipps University of Marburg. In 1982, he became a Member of the Corps Teutonia Marburg. After military service, the doctor began his work at the Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg. In 1990, he passed the Medical Examination, while in 1990 and 1991, he was an Intern at the Polyclinic of Internal Medicine at the University of Munich and in the Department of Abdominal and Transplant Surgery at the Hannover Medical School. He continued his work at the Hannover Medical School, where he received the title of Doctor of Medicine in 1992. In 1999, he was habilitated and became a Senior Physician and a Medical Specialist in Surgery. In the same year he began his work at the Essen University Hospital. In 2002, the professor received specialization in Abdominal Surgery, and in 2004 he was appointed as a Visiting Professor at the University of Duisburg-Essen. At the same time (2003 - 2006), he received a Master Degree in Health and Social Services Management, Technical University of Kaiserslautern and the University of Witten/Herdecke.
On December 1, 2007, Dr. Hauke Lang accepted the offer to hold the position of Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Mainz and he became the Head of the Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of General, Abdominal and Transplant Surgery.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.