University Hospital Mainz
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery (502670)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric cardiothoracic surgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at University Hospital Mainz
According to the prestigious Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Mainz is regularly ranked among the best medical institutions in Germany in its area of specialization!
The department offers the full range of surgical treatment of cardiovascular diseases and thoracic operations. The department is one of the leading medical institutions in Germany, which introduces the very latest treatment methods. In particular, the specialists of the department are among the first in the field of minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting and minimally invasive aortic valve surgery. Also, the department’s priorities include heart valve reconstruction in case of their insufficiency and aortic aneurysm treatment.
The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Christian-Friedrich Vahl. Dr. Vahl is an outstanding professional in his field, who has repeatedly been on the rating of the top physicians in the Focus magazine. In addition, according to a special survey of patients at the forum, he is among the top 10 surgeons in Germany in the field of cardiothoracic surgery for two years in a row. All these achievements are an indisputable confirmation of the highest professionalism of the professor.
The service range of the department includes:
- Surgical treatment of vascular diseases (all open and endovascular surgical methods are available)
- Open and endovascular techniques for the treatment of all parts of the aorta and abdominal arteries
- Revascularization in case of occlusive peripheral arterial disease (including revascularization in diabetic foot syndrome – pedal bypass surgery)
- Carotid artery reconstruction
- Dialysis access surgery (arteriovenous fistula, Demers catheter)
- Venous surgery
- Thoracic surgery (treatment of all diseases of the lungs, pulmonary vessels and thoracic organs)
- Diagnostic interventions for
- Tumors and lymphadenopathy of the thoracic organs
- Pathological changes in the lungs of unknown origin
- Diseases of the pleura and chest wall
- Minimally invasive interventions
- Sparing thoracotomy
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery
- Video-assisted mediastinoscopy
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant thoracic diseases
- Pleural empyema
- Tracheal stenosis
- Surgical treatment of malignant thoracic diseases
- Lung cancer
- Lung metastases in primary tumors of other localizations
- Malignant pleural mesothelioma
- Mediastinal tumors
- Chest wall tumors
- Tracheal tumors
- Surgical treatment of lung diseases in terminal stages
- Lung resection
- Lung transplantation
- Treatment of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary endarterectomy
- Diagnostic interventions for
- Treatment of ischemic heart disease
- Conservative drug therapy
- Balloon dilatation (PTCA)
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Postoperative therapy (selection of diet, drugs, smoking cessation, etc.)
- Aortic surgery
- Pediatric cardiac surgery (surgical treatment of congenital heart defects in children of all ages)
- Medical care in urgent clinical cases
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Christian-Friedrich Vahl
Prof. Dr. med. Christian-Friedrich Vahl studied medicine, art history, philosophy, and sociology. After studying medicine (1975 - 1981), he was an Intern at the University Hospital Göttingen and Heidelberg. Dr. Vahl was a Fellow of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes. Then, he completed a one-year study at the Complutense University of Madrid (1979 - 1981). In 1986, he defended his doctoral thesis and received the title of Doctor of Medicine. From 1981 to 1984, the doctor underwent the initial scientific training at the Institute of Physiology, University of Hamburg. Later he underwent clinical training at the German Heart Center Munich and at the Augsburg Clinic. There he worked on the project "Quality Assurance in Cardiac Surgery". In 1988, Dr. Vahl began working at the University Hospital Heidelberg, where he was had his habilitation (1995). Since 2004, he has been holding the position of Head of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Mainz. In 2002, he was appointed as a Visiting Professor at the University of Heidelberg.
- Fellow of the German Foundation Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes.
- Fellow, Colegio Mayor "Diego de Covarrubias", Complutense University of Madrid.
- Ernst Derra Prize of the German Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Board Member of the German Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery (DGTHG).
- Presidium of the German Society of Surgery.
- Admission to the European Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Board Member of the German Society of Surgery.
- German Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery (DGTHG).
- German Society of Cardiology (DGK).
- Academy of Sciences.
- Association of German Surgeons (BDC).
- German Society of Thoracic Surgery (DGT).
- European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery (EACTS).
- German Society for Vascular Surgery (DGG).
- European Society of Vascular Surgery (ESVS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Adult and Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.