University Hospital Mainz
Department of Pediatric Surgery (502673)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the Department of Pediatric Surgery at University Hospital Mainz
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases in infants, young children and adolescents. The highly competent surgeons, including from other countries of the world, work in the department, which ensures cooperation with other Pediatric Surgery Clinics. Due to this, patients are provided with medical care at the most modern scientific level. The department has all the conditions for a comfortable stay of the child and his parents, the doctors get along well with the young patients and do everything possible to maintain their positive attitude. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Oliver Muensterer.
The service range of the department includes:
- Surgical correction of congenital malformations
- Esophageal atresia
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Median and lateral neck cysts
- Congenital thoracic deformities
- Bladder exstrophy
- Anal atresia
- Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation
- Hernia repair
- Inguinal hernia
- Umbilical hernia
- Femoral hernia
- Abdominal hernia
- Incisional hernia
- Surgical treatment of bowel diseases
- Mechanical and paralytic intestinal obstruction
- Intestinal perforation, intestinal damage
- Duodenal atresia and stenosis
- Small intestine atresia and stenosis
- Anal atresia and stenosis
- Intestinal malrotation, intestinal inversion
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Short bowel syndrome
- Meckel diverticulum
- Meconium bowel obstruction
- Hirschsprung’s disease
- Rectal prolapse
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Digestive tract polyps
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- Foreign bodies in the digestive tract
- Surgical treatment of esophageal diseases
- Esophageal atresia
- Esophageal fistula
- Esophageal stricture and stenosis
- Chemical burn of the esophagus
- Surgical treatment of diseases and abnormalities of the body, cardia and pylorus
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Sliding hiatal hernia
- Achalasia cardia
- Stomach ulcer
- Stomach perforation
- Hypertrophic pyloric stenosis
- Pyloric atresia
- Surgical treatment of diseases of the liver, spleen, pancreas and gallbladder
- Liver cysts (including hepatic echinococcus cyst)
- Biliary atresia
- Choledoch cysts
- Portal hypertension
- Cholelithiasis, cholecystitis (gallstones)
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Pancreatic pseudocysts
- Malformations of the pancreas
- Pancreatic cancer
- Spleen cysts
- Surgical treatment of lung diseases, thoracic malformations
- Keel-shaped chest
- Funnel breast
- Lung cysts
- Congenital lung sequestration
- Foreign body aspiration
- Hyperhidrosis (thoracoscopic sympathectomy)
- Plastic reconstructive surgery
- Benign skin and subcutaneous tissue tumors (dermoid cysts, pilomatrix, lipoma)
- Congenital nevi
- Flap plastic surgery
- Correction of all types of scars
- Gynecomastia (enlarged breast in boys)
- Reconstructions in conventional and chemical burns
- Skin graft
- Laser surgery of hemangiomas and vascular malformations
- Hemangioma cryosurgery
- Surgical treatment of tumors in children
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Lung tumors
- Ewing's sarcoma
- Ovarian tumors
- Endocrine surgery in children
- Thyroid diseases
- Adrenal diseases
- Pancreatic diseases
- Surgical treatment of diseases of the urogenital system in children
- Undescended testicles
- Testicular torsion
- Orchitis (inflammation of the testicles), epididymitis
- Phimosis (foreskin narrowing)
- Testicular cysts
- Labia synechiae
- Uterine malformations
- Endoscopic procedures
- Pediatric traumatology
- Malformations of the hands and feet
- Skeletal malformations
- Dull thoracic injuries (for example, pneumothorax)
- Bone fractures
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Oliver Muensterer
- 11/2006 Habilitation, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 03/1995 Doctoral dissertation defense with honors, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 12/1994 State Medical Exam, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Admission to Medical Practice (Approbation)
- 05/1996 Admission to medical practice, German Bavarian Ministry of Health.
- 11/2011 New York Medical License No. 260252 (inactive).
- 04/2004 Alabama Medical License No. 26008 (inactive).
- 01/1999 North Carolina Medical License No. 99-00106 (inactive).
Medical Specialist and Additional Qualifications
- Pediatric Surgery, European Commission of Pediatric Surgery, Part I (12/2007), Part II (10/2008).
- 10/2005 Pediatric Surgery, Bavarian Medical Association.
- 10/1999 Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics (recertified 9/2008 and 10/2017).
- 03/2004 Sports Medicine (advanced qualification), Bavarian Medical Association.
- 05/1995 General Medicine (Medicina General, Spain, EU).
- 08/05 - 02/06 Pediatric Surgery, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Dr. von Haunersches Pediatric Clinic at the University of Munich.
- 07/04 - 07/05 Fellow, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children's Hospital of Alabama, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama.
- 08/99 - 10/00, 06/01 - 06/04 Pediatric Surgery, Department of Pediatric Surgery, Dr. von Haunersches Pediatric Hospital at the University of Munich.
- 11/00 - 05/01 General Surgery, Surgical Clinic Nussbaumstrasse at the University of Munich.
- 06/96 - 06/99 Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Duke University medical Center, Durham, North Carolina.
- 07/95 - 05/96 General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Washington Medical Center, Washington, DC.
- 02/95 - 05/95 Radiology (Intern), Department of Radiology, University of Munich.
- 05/2014 - 09/2014 Pediatric Surgeon, Associate Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics, Head of the Pediatric Stimulation Program, Department of Surgery, Children’s Hospital in Montefiore (CHAM), Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
- 06/2013 - 03/2014 Pediatric Surgeon, Mary Fareri Children’s Hospital, Westchester Medical Center, New York Medical College.
- 10/2013 - 03/2014 Pediatric Surgeon, Phelps Memorial Hospital Center, Sleepy Hollow, New York.
- 10/2013 - 03/2014 Pediatric Surgeon, Northern Westchester Hospital, Mount Kisco, New York.
- 01/2011 - 05/2013 Associate Professor in Pediatric Surgery, Head of the Department of General Pediatric Endosurgery, Head of the Educational Section of the Skills Acquisition and Innovation Lab (SAIL), Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Cornell Medical College, New York.
- 03/2011 - 05/2013 Associate Professor of Surgery, Head of the Department of Pediatric Minimally Invasive Surgery, Columbia University College of Doctors and Surgeons, Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital.
- 12/11 - 09/2014 Visiting Consultant Surgeon, Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Memorial
- Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. New York.
- 12/11 - 05/13 Pediatric Surgeon, Lincoln Medical & Mental Health Center, Bronx, New York.
- 05/11 - 05/2013 Pediatric Surgeon, Brooklyn Hospital Center, Brooklyn, New York.
- 05/08 - 01/11 Assistant Professor in Pediatric Surgery, Head of Traumatology and Burns, University of Alabama, Birmingham.
- 03/06 - 03/08 Pediatric Surgeon, Senior Physician (since 01/07 PD), Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Leipzig.
- Since 01/2017 Honorary Member of the German Society for Burn Medicine (DGV).
- Since 12/2015 German Society for Perinatal Medicine (DGPM).
- Since 01/2014 Senior Member of the Association for Academic Surgery (AAS).
- Since 11/2013 Corresponding Member (since 10/2014, Member) of the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
- Since 05/2010 American Pediatric Surgical Association (APSA).
- Since 10/2005 Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES).
- Since 09/2005 International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (IPEG).
- Since 09/2003 German Society of Surgery (DGC).
- Since 05/2003 European Association of Pediatric Surgeons (EUPSA).
- Since 09/2000 German Society for Pediatric Surgery (DGKC).
- Since 05/1998 Academic Pediatric Association (APA).
- Since 09/1996 Fellow at the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.