University Hospital Mainz
Department of Neurology (519584)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Mainz offers the diagnostics and treatment of all neurological diseases at the very latest scientific level. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Frauke Zipp.
The department employs highly qualified specialists, who are focused on an individual approach to each patient in order to provide optimal medical care. Many neurological disorders are treated in the specialized certified centers that operate on the basis of the department, for example, the Stroke Unit, the Epilepsy Center.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Doppler ultrasound
- Continuous wave Doppler ultrasound of the cervical vessels
- Transcranial Doppler ultrasound
- Duplex sonography
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Non-invasive EEG video monitoring
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Nerve conduction velocity test
- Registration of evoked potentials (VEP, AVP, SEP, MEP)
- Registration of brain stem reflexes
- Orthoptic studies
- Neurophysiological studies
- Other diagnostic services
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute stroke (within the Stroke Unit), subsequent care and assessment of risk factors using ultrasound diagnostics of cerebral vessels
- Conventional and differential diagnostics of inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system, in particular, multiple sclerosis, counseling on the treatment of this diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of epileptic seizures (within the specialized outpatient clinic), inpatient video EEG monitoring
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders (botulinum toxin therapy)
- Parkinson's disease
- Multisystem atrophy
- Focal dystonia
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the nervous system (within the interdisciplinary Neurological and Neurosurgical, Neuro-Oncological Outpatient Clinic)
- Diagnostics and treatment of neuropathic pain, complex regional pain syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute, chronic dizziness, eye movement disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological diseases
- Study of Medicine in Germany, USA, Canada and England.
- 1989 - 1992 Neurology, University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1993 - 1995 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Neuroimmunology, Max Planck Institute, Martinsried (Prof. H. Wekerle and Prof. R. Hohlfeld).
- 1995 - 1998 Scholarship and Habilitation (Neurology), Department of Neurology at the University of Tübingen (Prof. J. Dichgans).
- 1996 Visiting Scientist, National Institute of Health, Division of Neuroimmunology, Bethesda, USA (Prof. H. Mc Farland).
- 1998 - 2002 Senior Physician, Department of Neurology, Charité, Berlin.
- 2002 - 2006 C3 Professor, Head of the Institute of Neuroimmunology, Charité, Berlin.
- 2006 - 2009 W3 Professor at the University Hospital Charité, Berlin.
- Since 2009, W3 Professor and Head of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Mainz.
- Since 2012 Spokesperson/Co-Spokesperson of the Transregio Collaborative Research Center on Multiple Sclerosis (CRC TR 128; DFG).
- Since 2013 Executive Board Member of the Competence Network for Multiple Sclerosis (KKNMS, Federal Ministry of Research and Education, BMBF).
- Since 2016 Council Member of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS).
Awards and Honors
- 1983 Scholarship of the German Foundation Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes.
- 1998 Langheinrich Prize for Multiple Sclerosis Research.
- 1999 Research Award of the Academy of Clinical Diagnostics.
- 2003 Nils Ilja Richter Prize.
- 2005 Pette Prize from the German Society of Neurology.
- 2011 Alexander Karl Prize.
- 2011 Member of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2014 President of the International Society of Neuroimmunology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.