University Hospital Mainz
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology (520136)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric urology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at University Hospital Mainz
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital Mainz offers the full range of services in this field. The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the kidneys, urinary tract and genital organs in men and boys. The doctors of the department have excellent qualifications and easily cope with both functional disorders, inflammatory diseases, and complex developmental defects in boys, severe forms of prostate cancer in adult men. About 4,500 inpatients and 10,000 outpatients are treated here every year. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Axel Haferkamp.
It should be noted that the department performs all modern surgical interventions for the treatment of urologic diseases. In particular, prostatectomy, kidney surgery, bladder removal, kidney transplantation and reconstructive surgery, as well as surgical treatment of urinary incontinence. In addition, new surgical systems are available in the department, for example, the Da Vinci system for high-precision robotic surgery, extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy to remove kidney stones, organ preservation techniques for the removal of urinary tract tumors, etc.
The diagnostic options of the department include:
- Prostate biopsy
- Ultrasound examinations
- Urological X-ray diagnostics
- Endoscopic diagnostics
- Urodynamic studies
- Laboratory tests (within an inhouse laboratory)
- Other diagnostic studies
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following urologic diseases:
- Oncological diseases
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Renal pelvis and ureteral cancer
- Testicular cancer in adulthood
- Penile cancer
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Bladder dysfunction and urinary incontinence
- Weak bladder and pelvic floor muscles
- Urinary incontinence
- Neurogenic bladder
- Sphincter and detrusor dysfunction
- Urogenital fistulas
- Interstitial cystitis
- Urinary tract infections
- Stones in the kidneys, ureters, bladder
- Erectile dysfunction (impotence)
- Pediatric urologic diseases
- Bladder exstrophy
- Duplex kidney
- Urethral stricture
- Undescended testicles
- Megaureter (congenital ureteral expansion)
- Neurogenic bladder in meningomyelocele
- Stenosis of the pelvic-ureteric segment
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Oncological diseases in children
- Testicular tumor
- Nephroblastoma (Wilms’ tumor)
- Other urologic diseases in adults and children
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Axel Haferkamp
- 10/87 - 07/91 Study of Medicine, Rhine-Westphalian Technical University Aachen.
- 10/91 - 05/94 Study of Medicine, Philipps University of Marburg.
- 29.09.1989 Preliminary Medical Examination.
- 19.09.1990 First State Exam.
- 15.04.1993 Second State Exam.
- 02.05.1994 Third State Exam.
- 03/90 Traumatology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
- 03/91 Internal Medicine, General Hospital of the spa town of Baden, Austria.
- 07 - 08/91 Neurology, Neurosurgery, Neuroradiology, University of Newcastle, England.
- 03 - 04/92 Urology, Gynecology, St. Barbara Hospital Gladbeck.
Professional Career (admission to medical practice)
- 06.05.1994 Permission to work as an Intern.
- 08.03.1995 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, RWTU Aachen (research of linear and volumetric indices of brain ventricles).
- 08.01.1996 Admission to medical practice.
- 30.08.2001 Medical Specialist in Urology (Medical Association of North Rhine-Westphalia).
- 08.06.2002 Recognized as a Fellow of the European Board of Urology (FEBU).
- 15.07.2005 Habilitation, Heidelberg University.
- 01.10.2008 Optional advanced training, Special Urologic Surgery.
- 15.08.2009 Optional advanced training, Drug Therapy for Tumors.
Professional Career (Positions)
- 07/94 - 09/95 Civil Service: Intern, Department of Urology, Heidelberg University (Head: Prof. Dr. med. G. Staehler).
- 10/95 - 12/95 Intern, Department of Urology, Heidelberg University.
- 01/96 - 04/96 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, Heidelberg University.
- 05/96 - 04/97 One-year surgical practice, Assistant Physician, Department of Surgery, Heidelberg University (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. C. Herfarth).
- 05/97 - 04/98 Assistant Physician, Neuro-Urological Ambulatory, Department of Urology, Foundation of the Orthopedic University Hospital (Head: Prof. Dr. med. H.J. Gerner).
- 05/98 - 03/99 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, Heidelberg University.
- 04/99 - 04/00 Kurt-Engelhorn Research Fellowship, Department of Pathology, State University of New York, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse.
- 05/00 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, Heidelberg University.
- 08/00 - 12/01 Assistant Physician, Department of Urology, University of Bonn.
- 01/02 - 10/03 Senior Physician, Department of Urology, University of Bonn.
- 01/02 - 10/03 Laboratory Head (Orthopedics, Cardiac Surgery, Urology), University of Bonn.
- 01/02 - 10/03 Kidney Transplant Specialist, Department of Urology, University of Bonn.
- 10/03 - 03/10 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Urology, Heidelberg University.
- 07/05 - 03/10 Member of the Advisory Board of the National Cancer Center.
- Since 30.03.2007 Deputy Chairman of the Working Group "Urological Functional Diagnostics and Urology of a Woman" of the German Society of Urology.
- Since 19.04.2010 Head of the Department of Urology, University Hospital Frankfurt.
- Since 2016 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital Mainz.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsmedizin der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology.
University Hospital Mainz:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.