University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery (459047)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric thoracic surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of lung, thoracic and mediastinal diseases. The department is one of the largest specialized institutions in the field of thoracic surgery and thoracic endoscopy in Germany. Its operating rooms are equipped with the state-of-the-art equipment to provide optimal medical care before, during and after surgery. Preference is given to minimally invasive interventions, laser techniques that contribute to minimal damage of healthy tissues and ensure rapid recovery of the patient. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Bernward Passlick, an outstanding physician with a worldwide reputation. According to the Focus magazine 2018, he is included in the rating of top German physicians!
Lung tumor treatment is one of the clinical priorities of the department. In this field, doctors use a variety of innovative therapies available only here. Since the department regularly demonstrates a high rate of successful lung cancer treatment, it was certified as the Lung Cancer Center (by the German Cancer Society).
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Chest wall tumors
- Tracheal stenosis
- Diseases of the mediastinal organs, including cancers
- Pulmonary emphysema
- Lung cancer
- Lung metastases
- Benign lung tumors
- Pleural effusion
- Pleural mesothelioma
- Non-cancerous pleural diseases
- Funnel-shaped chest
- Other diseases and pathological conditions
The service range of the department includes:
- Bronchial interventions (most often, in lung cancer)
- Bronchoscopy (one of the most important diagnostic techniques for the diagnosis of respiratory diseases and lung diseases)
- Surgery to treat pulmonary emphysema
- Endoscopic interventions to reduce lung volume
- Management of airway stenosis (for example, tracheal stenosis)
- Laser surgical interventions
- Tracheal surgery (for example, in benign and malignant tumors)
- Lung surgery
- Radical removal of malignant lung tumors
- Sparing lung surgery (removal of lung areas affected by a tumor, with reconstruction of the bronchi and vessels to maintain intact parts of the lung)
- Lung transplantation (for example, in progressive cystic fibrosis, emphysema, COPD)
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery
- Installation of catheters, for example, for chemotherapy
- Pediatric thoracic surgery (all thoracic interventions in infants, young children and adolescents under the age of 18)
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery
- Other medical services
- 1982 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine at Università Abruzzese degli Studi, George August University of Göttingen, and Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- Internships abroad: Harvard Medical School in Boston, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Montefiore Clinic, Pittsburgh, USA.
- 1989 Dissertation defense. Subject: "Identification and Characterization of a Previously Unknown Subpopulation of Monocytes", Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (with honors).
- 1986 American State Examination (ECFMG), Part 1.
- 1989 American State Examination (ECFMG), Part 2.
- 1997 Habilitation. Subject: "Tumor Cell Dissemination in Bronchogenic Lung Carcinoma: Aspects of Tumor Biology, Clinical Relevance and Significance for Surgical Intervention."
- 1989 - 1990 Department of Surgery, Innenstadt Hospital at the University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. L. Schweiberer) and Department of Thoracic Surgery of the Central Hospital Gauting (Head: Prof. Dr. O. Thetter).
- 1991 - 1992 Department of Surgery, Innenstadt Hospital at the University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. L. Schweiberer).
- 1993 - 1994 Department of Surgery, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf (Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. Ch. E. Broelsch).
- 1995 - 1999 Department of Surgery, Innenstadt Hospital at the University of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. L. Schweiberer) and Department of Thoracic Surgery, Central Clinic Gauting (Head: Prof. Dr. O. Thetter), Vascular Surgery (Head: Prof. Dr. B. Steckmeier).
Medical Specialist Certifications
- 1995 Medical Specialist in Surgery (Bavarian State Medical Association).
- 1997 Medical Specialist in Thoracic Surgery (Bavarian State Medical Association).
- 1999 Medical Specialist in Vascular Surgery (Bavarian State Medical Association).
- 01.03.1990 Dr. med. (Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich).
- 22.01.1997 Dr. med. habil. (Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich).
- 21.02.1997 PD with teaching licence in Surgery, University of Munich (Bavarian Ministry of Education, Culture, Science and Art).
- 02.06.2003 Appointed as a Visiting Professor (Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich).
- 15.04.2004 Appointed as University Professor, Thoracic Surgery (Albert-Ludwig University of Freiburg).
Academic Awards and Scholarships
- 1993 Poster Prize of the Austrian Society of Surgery.
- 1994 Georg Ernst Konjetzny Award of the Hamburg Cancer Society.
- 1995 Award for the Best Paper in Oncology, International H.P.B. Association.
- 1995 Otto Goetz Award of the Association of Bavarian Surgeons.
- 1995 Publication Award, German Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- 1996 Johann Nepomuk von Nussbaum Award, Association of Bavarian Surgeons.
- 1996 Poster Prize of the Association of Bavarian Surgeons.
- 1997 Mikulicz Award of the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- 1997/98 Scholarship of the German Society of Surgery for Advanced Studies in American Thoracic Surgery Centers: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Surgical Oncology, New York (Prof. Robert Ginsberg) and Massachusetts General Hospital: Surgical Oncology, Tracheal Surgery, Boston (Prof. Douglas Mathisen, Prof. Hermes Grillo).
- 1999 Scholar Award in Clinical Research of the American Cancer Research Association.
- 2000 Poster Prize of the German Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- 2001 Brompton Award of the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Review Activities in Scientific Journals
- Annals of Thoracic Surgery
- Annals of Hematology
- British Journal of Cancer
- British Journal of Surgery
- Clinical Cancer Research
- Der Chirurg
- European Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- European Respiratory Journal
- International Journal of Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Research in Experimental Medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
- The Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon
- Zentralblatt für Chirurgie
Membership in Professional Societies
- 1993 German Society of Surgery (DGCH).
- 1994 German Cancer Society (DKG).
- 1994 Working Group on Surgical Oncology (CAO).
- 1994 Association of Bavarian Surgeons.
- 1995 Project group "Lung and Mediastinal Tumors", Cancer Center Munich.
- 1995 Project group "Early Metastasis of Epithelial Tumors", Cancer Center Munich.
- 1995 German Society of Thoracic Surgery (DGT).
- 1995 Professional Association of German Surgeons (BDC).
- 1998 German Society of Pulmonology (DPG).
- 1999 German Society of Vascular Surgery.
- 2000 European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS).
- 2001 International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC).
- 2004 Association of Surgeons of the Middle Rhine.
- 2006 Founding Member of the Working Group on Surgical Treatment of Respiratory Diseases of the German Cancer Society.
- 2008 Founding Member of the Working Group on Thoracic Surgery.
- 2009 European Thoracic Oncology Platform (ETOP).
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.