University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Cardiac Surgery (459512)
Specialized in: cardiac surgery
About the Department of Cardiac Surgery at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of services in this field and specializes in the surgical treatment of patients with all diseases of the cardiovascular system. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Friedhelm Beiersdorf, a top expert with a worldwide reputation, who has saved thousands of lives.
The experienced surgeons of the department perform about 4,500 surgical interventions annually. For each patient, an individual, most sparing treatment is selected, for example, heart valve surgery is performed minimally invasively, whereas implant placement in aortic aneurysms is performed using endovascular techniques. In addition, the department is proud of the successful indicators in the field of bypass surgery, which is performed using the very latest methods, including endovascular techniques.
The service range of the department includes:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (arteries of the thoracic wall, superficial veins of the lower limb, radial arteries can be used)
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass
- Minimally invasive direct coronary artery bypass
- Heart valve surgery (minimally invasive techniques are mostly used)
- Surgery in acquired heart valve disease
- Surgery in mitral valve disease
- Surgery in tricuspid valve disease
- Aortic or mitral valve replacement with artificial valves or bioprosthetics
- Reconstructive surgery in valvular heart disease
- Other therapeutic options
- Open vascular and endovascular surgery
- Surgical treatment of artery stenosis (cerebral arteries, arteries of pelvic organs and lower limbs)
- Surgical treatment of aneurysms of the aorta, femoral artery, popliteal artery and iliac artery)
- Surgical treatment of other vascular pathologies
- Heart transplantation (only in patients under the age of 65)
- Implantation of heart support systems
- Left ventricular assist device (Heart Mate II, Heart Mate III)
- Biventricular assist device (HeartWare, Thoratec Levitronix, Cardiowest TAH)
- Surgery in cardiac arrhythmias (atrial fibrillation)
- Medication therapy
- Cardiac catheterization treatments
- Surgical ablation
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant cardiac tumors
- Open-heart surgery
- Minimally invasive interventions
- Heart reconstruction by cardiac muscle replacement with an artificial heart or heart transplantation after tumor removal
- Other surgical treatments of cardiovascular diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Friedhelm Beyersdorf
- 1975 - 1981 Study of Human Medicine at the Goethe University Frankfurt, Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, USA) and Thomas Jefferson University (Philadelphia, USA).
- 10/1981 Admission to medical practice.
- Carl Duisberg Scholarship.
- Dissertation: "Determination of maximal ischemic tolerance of the human heart with the use of ultrastructural and biochemical methods for the detection of preischemic myocardial hypertrophy and degeneration", defense with honors (summa cum laude).
- 1982 Award of the Association of Friends of Paul Ehrlich (Preis der Gesellschaft der Freunde Paul-Ehrlichs) for the best dissertation of the Medical Faculty of the University of Frankfurt.
- November 10, 1981 Awarding of the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
- American State Medical Examination: July 23, 1980 National Board, 1st part (ECFMG).
- September 9, 1982 National Board, 2nd part (VQE).
- December 1981 - February 1983 "Pathology", Center for Pathology at the Goethe University Frankfurt (Prof. Dr. K. Hübner).
- December 1981 - February 1983 "General Surgery", Department of General Surgery, Thoracic, Cardiovascular Surgery, Traumatology, Urology and Neurosurgery, Surgery Center at the Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 1984 - 1985 "Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery" and "Vascular Surgery", Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the Goethe University Frankfurt, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California (Los Angeles, California, USA).
Medical Specialist Certifications
- August 8, 1990 Medical Specialist in Surgery (Medical Association of the State of Hesse).
- January 29, 1992 Medical Specialist in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (Medical Association of the State of Hesse).
- September 21, 1994 Medical Specialist in Vascular Surgery (Medical Association of the State of Hesse).
- 1994 Vascular Surgery (Medical Association of the State of Baden-Württemberg).
- 1995 Heart Surgery (Medical Association of the State of Baden-Württemberg).
Other Activities and Achievements
- 1995 Optional advanced training, Special Intensive Care in Cardiac Surgery (Medical Association of the Land of Baden-Württemberg).
- 1997 Laboratory research (Medical Association of the State of Baden-Württemberg).
- June 1990 Habilitation in Surgery. Subject: "The principle of controlled reperfusion in cardiovascular interventions", Faculty of Medicine, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- September 1992 PD.
- May 1992 University Lecturer (C2), Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- October 17, 1994 Acting Head of the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- January 1995 University Professor (C4), Cardiovascular Surgery, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg, Ministry of Science and Research of the State of Baden-Württemberg, Stuttgart.
- 10/1997 - 10/2001 Managing Director of the Department of Surgery, Ministry of Science and Research of the State of Baden-Württemberg, Stuttgart.
- 1999 Appointed as a Member of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- November 2000 Professor honoris causa, University of Marilia, Brazil.
- May 16, 2001 First permanent Jarvik-2000 left ventricular assist device implantation in Germany.
- 2002 Board Member of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- 2002 Foundation of the association "Kinderherzen retten e.V."
- 2004 Establishment of the patient-funded research laboratories (at the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery).
- May 5, 2005 First total artificial heart CardioWest (Jarvik 7) implantation in Baden-Württemberg.
- March 2006 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor, Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg.
- May 2006 Head of the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- February 2007 Elected as the first Vice President of the German Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- March 2008 Awarded an Honorary Doctoral Degree from the National University of Laos in Vientiane.
- June 2008 First simultaneous heart-lung transplantation in Baden-Württemberg.
- February 2009 Elected President of the German Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- May 2010 Founding of the "ResuSciTec" project, University Hospital Freiburg.
- September 2010 Elected Editor-In-Chief of European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- 2011 Fritz Acker Award of the German Society of Cardiology.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Cardiac Surgery.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.