University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Sports Traumatology (459527)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedics, traumatology, sports traumatology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Sports Traumatology at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Sports Traumatology at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of services in these areas at the highest level of university medicine. As a leading German medical institution in traumatology, the department provides round-the-clock emergency care for patients with accident and other injuries of any severity. In addition, the department's scope of activities includes treatment of sports injuries, diseases, malformations and injuries of the entire musculoskeletal system in patients of all age groups. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Norbert Südkamp.
The department performs about 22,000 outpatient emergency interventions, 25,000 planned surgical interventions, more than 5,000 inpatient operations annually. Surgical care is provided by a qualified experienced medical team consisting of 45 doctors and 79 nursing staff.
The department offers the following therapeutic services:
- Severe spinal injuries
- Pelvic injuries
- Bone fractures
- Other types of injuries
- Sports traumatology
- Comprehensive medical examination and counseling
- Doppler ultrasound (ultrasound examination of tendons, muscles and joints)
- Manual therapy
- Shockwave therapy
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Recommendations for the use of aids, bandages, orthopedic shoes, etc.
- Other services
- Pediatric orthopedics
- Foot deformities (for example, club foot, flat feet, heel foot, hollow foot)
- Hip joint diseases (for example, Perthes disease, hip joint dysplasia, hip joint dislocation, inflammatory diseases of the hip joint, osteochondritis dissecans)
- Neuro-orthopedic diseases (for example, infantile cerebral palsy, spina bifida, muscular dystrophy (in close collaboration with the Departments of Pediatrics and Neuropediatrics))
- Treatment of all pediatric musculoskeletal tumors (in collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Oncology)
- Conservative and surgical treatment of scoliosis in children
- Defects and malformations of the musculoskeletal system in children (for example, axis misalignments, leg length discrepancy)
- Other diseases and developmental disorders
- Pediatric traumatology
- General pediatric injuries
- Severe injuries
- Joint injuries (knee and shoulder joints)
- Cruciate ligament injuries
- Other types of trauma
- Knee surgery and operations for knee cartilage injuries
- Hip and knee arthroplasty (including minimally invasive and other modern techniques)
- Shoulder surgery
- Shoulder instability
- Pathologies of the long biceps tendon
- Rotator cuff tear
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Forearm calcification
- Shoulder osteoarthritis
- Fractures of the humerus, scapula and clavicle
- Recent and chronic dislocations of the shoulder and sternoclavicular joints
- Tendon rupture
- Congenital and acquired defects of the shoulder
- Other diseases of the shoulder
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Congenital and acquired foot deformities
- Foot fractures and dislocations
- Flat foot
- Hollow foot
- Ankle impingement syndrome
- Cartilage damage in the upper ankle joint
- Injuries of ligaments and tendons, as well as ankle ligament instability
- Sports-related foot injuries
- Ankle osteoarthritis
- Acute and chronic Achilles tendon injuries
- Diabetic foot syndrome
- Spinal surgery (conservative and surgical treatment)
- Special medication therapy
- Pain therapy (for example, infiltration, epidural injections, facet joint blockade)
- Manual therapy
- Microscopic and open surgery (decompressions) for spinal stenosis
- Microsurgery for herniated intervertebral discs of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine
- Spinal fusion surgery in spinal instability, spondylolisthesis and post-nucleotomy syndrome
- Intervertebral disc prosthesis (in degenerative diseases)
- Corrective interventions, for example, in scoliosis (corrective spinal fusion)
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty in vertebral osteoporotic fractures (stabilization of the affected vertebral bodies with special cement)
- Surgical treatment of spinal tumors
- Dorsal and ventral surgical techniques for the treatment of spinal trauma
- Other treatment methods
- Diagnostics and treatment of osteoporosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant bone and connective tissue tumors, as well as bone metastases
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Norbert Südkamp
- 1969 - 1976 Study of Electrical Engineering at the Leibniz University Hannover.
- 1976 Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 1975 - 1981 Study of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1981 State Examination.
- 1982 Title of Candidate of Medical Science.
- 1990 Doctoral dissertation defense.
- 1976 - 1980 Research Fellowship at the Institute of Engineering and Telecommunications, Department of Telecommunications, University of Hannover.
- 1981 - 1988 Internship, Municipal Clinic Heidehaus, Hannover, Department of Traumatology, Hannover Medical School, Department of General Surgery, Municipal Clinic Salzdalumer Strasse, Braunschweig.
- 1988 Visiting Doctor at the University of Mississippi, Jackson, MS, USA. Internship in the field of Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery.
- 1988 Senior Physician in the Department of Traumatology, Hannover Medical School.
- 1993 Invitation to the position of the University Professor.
- 1991 - 2001 Deputy Director of the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology; Professor (C3) of Traumatology at the Charité University Hospital Campus Virchow Clinic, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 2000 - 2001 Act. Medical Director of the Department of Traumatology at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2001 - 2005 Medical Director of the Department of Traumatology, Professor of Traumatology, Sports Traumatology at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- Since 2005 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology; Professor of Traumatology at the University Hospital Freiburg.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society of Traumatology, Presidium Member.
- German Society of Surgery.
- German-speaking Professional Association for Arthroscopy (AGA).
- German Society of Sports Medicine.
- European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and the Elbow (SECEC).
- German Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and the Elbow.
- Corresponding Member of the North American Orthopedic Trauma Association.
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA).
- Chairman of the AO/ASIF Expert Group.
- American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS).
- Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the AO/ASIF Expert Group.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedics, Traumatology, Sports Traumatology.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.