University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Nephrology (462173)
Specialized in: nephrology
About the Department of Nephrology at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of advanced diagnostic and therapeutic services in the treatment of all kidney diseases and arterial hypertension. The department is one of the leading medical institutions in Germany, which deals with treatment of hereditary kidney diseases (especially polycystic kidney disease). In addition, the department has a reputation of one of the largest German Transplant Centers specializing in monitoring patients after kidney transplantation. The outpatient clinic for care after kidney transplantation serves more than 1,200 patients every year. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Gerd Walz.
The medical team of the department consists of highly competent specialists with deep expertise and excellent qualifications. The department is proud of its unique experience in diagnosing and treating diseasesб such as polycystic kidney disease, von Hippel-Lindau disease, pheochromocytoma, glomerulonephritis and kidney lesions in systemic diseases (for example, plasmacytoma, lupus erythematosus).
Renal replacement therapy (dialysis) is performed in a modern station designed for 18 treatment beds. Patient care is provided around the clock. The doctors and nursing staff of the dialysis station provide patients with quality individualized care.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of all kidney diseases of any severity
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial hypertension
- Living-donor kidney transplant
- Patient care after kidney transplantation (in a specialized outpatient clinic)
- Renal replacement therapy (dialysis)
- Peritoneal dialysis (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
- Continuous arteriovenous hemodialysis
- Continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration
- Immunoadsorption (removal of antibodies from plasma)
- Lipid apheresis
- Liver dialysis (MARS technique)
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Gerd Walz
- Since 1999 Professor (C4) of Nephrology, University Hospital Freiburg.
- Since 1999 Head of the Department of Nephrology at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 1995 - 1999 Attending Physician and Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 1992 - 1995 Training for Medical Specialist, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 1992 Habilitation, Free University of Berlin.
- 1987 - 1992 Postdoctoral training at Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 1984 Doctoral degree, Free University of Berlin.
- 1983 - 1987 Assistant Physician, Faculty of Medicine, Free University of Berlin.
- 1976 - 1983 Study of Medicine at the Free University of Berlin and the University of Tuebingen.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Committees
- Since 2006 Academic Consultant, Institute of Nephrology, Changzheng Medical University, Shanghai, China.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- 2011 Lilian Jean Kaplan International Prize for Advancement in the Understanding of Polycystic Kidney Disease.
- Since 2009 Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2008 Ernst Jung Award.
- 1991 Special Fellowship, Leukemia Society of America, USA.
- 1989 Transplantation Award, ASTP.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Nephrology.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.