University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Infectology (464396)
Specialized in: infectology
About the Department of Infectology at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of Infectology at the University Hospital Freiburg offers outpatient and inpatient treatment of all infectious diseases. The department specializes in the treatment of pathologies, such as tuberculosis, AIDS and HIV-related diseases, malaria and other tropical diseases, osteomyelitis, endocarditis, meningitis, etc. The department also offers counseling to patients from other clinics. The department is an Expert Center for Clinical Infectology certified by the German Society of Infectology (DGI). The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Winfried Kern.
Along with the general infectious outpatient clinic, the department has a number of specialized ambulatories, which provide care to patients with HIV infection and concomitant diseases, mycobacterial infections, asplenia, invasive staphylococcal infections, diseases caused by multiresistant pathogens, echinococcosis, etc. The department’s patients receive medical care from an experienced team of 10 highly specialized doctors and 25 paramedical staff.
In addition, the department is a Center for Treatment and Prevention of Tropical Diseases and Travel Medicine. As part of the consultation, the patients of the department can obtain comprehensive information on health risks of overseas travel and the necessary preventive measures, as well as vaccinations.
The service range of the department includes the following options:
- Diagnostics and treatment of AIDS or HIV-related diseases
- Treatment of methicillin-resistant Enterococcus, Staphylococcus, Echinococcus, asplenia
- Prevention, diagnostics and treatment of tropical diseases (tropical medicine), for example, malaria
- Diagnostics and treatment of tuberculosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of osteomyelitis, endocarditis, meningitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of other infectious and tropical diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Winfried Kern
- 1976 - 1983 Study of Medicine at the Universities of Bordeaux, Erlangen, Heidelberg.
- 1983 - 1984 Assistant Physician, Institute of Tropical Diseases, University of Heidelberg.
- 1984 - 1987 Assistant Physician, University Hospital Ulm.
- 1987 - 1988 Internship, Providence (Brown University) and San Francisco (University of California).
- 1989 - 1993 Assistant Physician, University Hospital Ulm.
- 1994 - 2001 Senior Physician, University Hospital Ulm.
- Since 2002 University Professor and Chief Physician of the Department of Infectology at the University Hospital Freiburg.
Selected Memberships in Professional Societies and Positions
- Since 1999 Board Member of the German Society of Infectology, since 2007, First Chairman.
- Since 2002 National Representative of the European Surveillance of Antimicrobial Consumption Network (EU project).
- Since 2003 Board Member of the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS), Department of Infectology.
- Since 2006 Board Member of the German Society of Infectology.
- Since 2006 Board Member of the Quality Assurance Commission.
- Since 2007 German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Since 2007 Member of the Committee of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Since 2007 Member of the Educational Committee of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.
- Since 2007 Co-Publisher of the magazine "Infection".
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Infectology.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.