University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology (464399)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric pulmonology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of services in the field of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the respiratory tract, lungs and the pulmonary circulation. The department also has a modern Sleep Laboratory, where the causes of sleep disorders associated with pathology of the respiratory system are identified and treated. Other clinical priorities of the department include weaning, preparation for lung transplantation and follow-up care, as well as the possibility of participation in clinical trials. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Müller-Quernheim.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency (a genetic disease that can cause pulmonary emphysema, liver cirrhosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchial asthma
- Respiratory therapy in following diseases:
- Neurological diseases of the peripheral nerves and muscles (for example, muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
- Chronic lung diseases (for example, pulmonary emphysema)
- Diseases of the central respiratory tract causing respiratory disorders in sleep
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchial carcinoma
- Individual therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Diagnostics and treatment of interstitial lung diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare lung diseases
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Interstitial lung diseases in rheumatic diseases
- Lung diseases in vasculitides
- Other rare diseases
- Patient care before and after lung transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of cystic fibrosis in adults and children
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders (obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, central sleep apnea syndrome, sleep disorders due to neuromuscular diseases)
- Full range of diagnostic tests in a special modern Sleep Laboratory
- CPAP therapy
- Maintenance therapy (breath control)
- Non-invasive methods for diagnostics of pulmonary diseases
- Pulmonary function testing
- Invasive methods for diagnostics of pulmonary diseases
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Lymphocyte proliferation test
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Müller-Quernheim
- Study of Medicine in Frankfurt and Mainz.
- 1980 Doctoral dissertation defense at the University of Mainz.
- Training in Immunology at the Joint Research Center, "Mechanisms for immune response realization", Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1982 - 1990 Work in the Department of Internal Medicine III (Internist, Pulmonologist and Allergist) at the University of Mainz.
- 1984 - 1986 Research Internship in the Department of Pulmonology at the US National Institute of Health, work on immunological and molecular biological studies in the field of sarcoidosis.
- 1990 Habilitation, Internal Medicine. Subject: "Immunopathogenesis of sarcoidosis".
- 1992 - 2002 Head of a laboratory research group at the Research Center Borstel and Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine of the Borstel Hospital (work on the immunological and genetic factors of sarcoidosis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis).
- 2002 Acceptance of the offer to fill a position in the Chair of Internal Medicine (Pulmonology), Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg, as well as the position of the Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- Since 1987 Research on sarcoidosis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, berylliosis, and participation in pharmacological studies of drugs for the treatment of respiratory diseases and parenchymal lung diseases.
- European Respiratory Journal.
- Respiration und Pneumologie (1990 - 2010).
- Scientific Advisory Board Member of Journals
- American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.
- Vasculitis and Diffuse Lung Diseases.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Adult and Pediatric Pulmonology.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.