University Hospital Freiburg
Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (467402)
Specialized in: general pediatrics, adolescent medicine
About the Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of various diseases in children and adolescents, from chronic pathologies to rare diseases. The department has a specially trained team working around the clock for young patients with clinical conditions that require emergency care. Intensive research activities of the department allows to improve the existing and develop innovative therapeutic techniques. All therapeutic measures comply with international guidelines in the field of pediatric medicine. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ute Spiekerkötter.
It should be noted that first-class doctors and specially trained nursing staff who get along well with children and know everything about the needs of children of different age groups work in the department. Psychologists, teachers, physiotherapists and specialists from other areas are also involved in the therapy, which provides comprehensive medical care.
The department has excellent diagnostic capabilities: an in-house Molecular Genetic Laboratory, Laboratory of Infectious Diagnostics and Laboratory for Infectious Immunological Testing, Laboratory of Pulmonary and Allergic Diagnostics, Laboratory for the Diagnosis of Metabolic Disorders.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric genetic diseases (including rare diseases)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric infectious diseases
- Congenital infections, (especially HIV/AIDS, infectious hepatitis, toxoplasmosis, cytomegalovirus)
- Rare and chronic infections (for example, tuberculosis, nontuberculous mycobacteriosis)
- Extremely resistant, persisting or recurrent infections caused by common pathogens (for example, osteomyelitis, meningoencephalitis, abscesses, sepsis, toxic shock syndrome)
- Infections caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria
- Tropical infections and their prevention (vaccination), individual consultations on vaccination
- Other infectious diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases in children
- Inflammatory diseases of the joints and bones (infectious or autoimmune diseases, for example, Lyme arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, chronic non-bacterial osteomyelitis)
- Inflammatory vascular disease (vasculitis)
- Inflammatory diseases of the skin or connective tissue (collagenosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, juvenile dermatomyositis)
- Inflammation of the eye (uveitis)
- Other rheumatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric endocrine disorders
- Diseases of the thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, pituitary, gonads
- Type I and II diabetes mellitus
- Growth disorders (for example, hereditary short stature, excessive growth, premature and delayed development, syndromic and disproportionate short stature)
- Disorders of puberty and sexual differentiation
- Obesity in children
- Genetic syndromes (for example, Ullrich-Turner syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome)
- Other diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric gastrointestinal diseases
- Celiac disease
- Chronic inflammatory bowel disease (for example, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Inflammatory and cholestatic diseases of the liver
- Other diseases
- Pediatric intensive care
- Diagnostics and treatment of preterm birth and congenital malformations in neonates (neonatology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric kidney and urinary tract diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic lung diseases (for example, cystic fibrosis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic diseases (for example, atopic dermatitis, food allergies, allergies to insect venom)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pediatric psychosomatic disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of metabolic disorders (carbohydrates, proteins or fats)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in children and adolescents
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Ute Spiekerkötter
- 1986 - 1992 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Aachen, Göttingen and Muenster.
- 1985, 1989 - 1990, 1993, 2001 Medical activities in Zimbabwe, India and Nepal.
- 1994 -1995 Internship, Department of General Pediatrics, University of Essen.
- 1995 Admission to medical practice.
- 1995 - 2001 Assistant Physician, Department of General Pediatrics, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 2000 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics.
- Since 2005 Senior Physician, Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- Since 2008 Head of the Section for Metabolic Disorders in Children (W2 Professor specialized in metabolic disorders in children).
- 2008 Additional qualification in Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology.
- Since 1.10.2012 Head of the Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 1994 Doctoral degree.
- 2001 - 2003 University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA (Prof. Dr. W. Strauss).
- 2004 - 2005 Casimir-Ziegler Research Fellowship of the Academy of Sciences of North Rhine-Westphalia, University of Amsterdam (Netherlands), Prof. Dr. R. J. A. Wanders.
- 2005 Habilitation. Subject: "Congenital disorders of fatty acid oxidation: molecular and pathophysiological studies."
- 2008 - 2012 W2 Professor (metabolic disorders in children), Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- Invitation to the position of the W3 Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Bonn.
- W3 Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Freiburg.
- Congenital disorders of fatty acid oxidation: pathophysiology and new therapies.
- Mitochondrial morphology and function in genetic enzyme defects of energy metabolism.
- Interprofessional education, training of medical students and nursing students (IPA Päd).
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.