University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Neuropediatrics and Muscular Diseases (467429)
Specialized in: neuropediatrics, muscular diseases
About the department
The Department of Neuropediatrics and Muscular Diseases at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of services in the treatment of children and adolescents with injuries, developmental defects and pathologies of the brain, nerves and muscles. In addition to the treatment of acute diseases, in which a full recovery of the child is possible, one of the department’s priorities is the diagnosis of developmental disorders and chronic diseases in children and adolescents, as well as their optimal treatment. The department has innovative methods of therapy and maintains close cooperation with the specialists from related fields and pediatricians from private practices, which guarantees a comprehensive approach. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Janbernd Kirschner.
The department has a Social and Pediatric Center staffed by competent psychologists, educators, social teachers, speech therapists and physiotherapists. The main task of the center is to take care of children and adolescents with complex and chronic diseases, developmental problems and disabilities. Thus, all the necessary specialists, but not only neurologists, work with the child and his parents, which contributes to an optimal therapy result.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Counseling on all issues of neuropediatrics and muscular diseases in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors (in collaboration with the Department of Oncology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of lysosomal storage diseases (substrate reduction therapy, enzyme replacement therapy)
- Fabry disease
- Gaucher disease
- Pompe disease
- Niemann-Pick disease
- Wolman disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders (cerebral palsy)
- Diagnostics and treatment of muscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of spina bifida
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Consultations "Parents-baby" (for parents with children aged 0 to 3 years)
- Sleep disorders
- Eating disorders
- Increased anxiety
- Reluctance to play
- Restless behavior
- Other medical services
Education and Professional Experience
- Study of Medicine at the University of Freiburg.
- Internship at the University of Newcastle (England) and the University of Bern (Switzerland).
- Specialization in Pediatrics (Doctor in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine) at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- Specialization in Pediatric Neurology (Neuropediatrics) at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- Two-year Research Internship with a Scholarship of the German Research Foundation at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (USA).
- Head of the Laboratory of Myology at the Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Doctoral dissertation defense and Venia Legendi in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Neuropediatrics.
- Since 2017 Acting Medical Director of the Department of Neuropediatrics and Muscular Diseases at the University Hospital Freiburg.
Responsibilities and Positions
- Speaker of the Center for Neuromuscular Diseases and Head of the European Reference Network for Neuromuscular Diseases (EURO-NMD) at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- Leader of the Working Group on Neuromuscular Diseases. The main research focuses include: treatment of neuromuscular diseases within the framework of clinical trials, differential diagnosis and pathological physiology of myopathies and muscular dystrophies in childhood.
- Active collaboration with the European research communities MD-NET, TREAT-NMD and Neuromics.
- Head of the CARE-NMD project to improve treatment of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy in Europe, created by the European Union in 2010.
- 2011 Felix Jerusalem Award of the German Society for Muscular Disorders.
- 2016 German Duchenne Foundation Award for Research.
Membership in Societies
- Steering Committee Member of TREAT-NMD (Deputy Chairman) and EURO-NMD.
- Member of the German Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Member of the Society of Neuropediatrics.
- Member of the World Muscle Society.
- Member of the American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine.
- Member of the Society of Neurogenetics.
- Honorary Member of the Chilean Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry and Neurology.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Neuropediatrics and Muscular Diseases.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.