University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Immunology (467432)
Specialized in: pediatric hematology, oncology, immunology
About the department
The Department Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Immunology at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of treatment of benign and malignant hematologic diseases, as well as oncological pathology in children and adolescents. The required specialists from the related areas are actively involved in the treatment, close contact with the child’s parents is maintained. In addition, the department has extensive experience in the field of bone marrow transplantation and stem cell transplantation. It also deals with the treatment of immunological diseases in children. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Charlotte Niemeyer.
The specialists of the department pay great attention not only to high-quality medical care, but also to the daily care of young patients. They advise the parents of the child on all issues of interest, strongly support them at all stages of treatment. In addition to specialized doctors, the treatment process involves psychologists, teachers, psychotherapists, educators, and physiotherapists. Individual approach is preferred.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostic options
- Ultrasound examinations
- Other studies
- Diagnostics and treatment of oncological diseases of various organs (in collaboration with other departments of the hospital)
- Radiation therapy
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation
- Psychological support
- Other treatments
- Diagnostics and treatment of myelodysplastic syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia
- Diagnostics and treatment of secondary leukemia (recurrence of blood cancer)
- Diagnostics and treatment of hemangiomas and vascular malformations
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the immune system
- Congenital and acquired immunodeficiencies
- Fever or inflammatory processes of unclear origin
- Increased susceptibility to infectious diseases
- Clinical trials
- Psychosocial support for patients and their relatives
- Experimental laboratory tests (within a special laboratory)
- Other medical services
- Scholarship of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes.
- 1972 - 1975 University of Kiel, 1st Medical Exam.
- 1975 - 1976 University of Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- 1976 - 1980 University of Freiburg, 2nd and 3rd state exam.
- 10/1980 Admission to medical practice.
- 06/1981 Dissertation. Subject: "On pharmacokinetics of hydrochlorothiazide in kidney failure", University of Freiburg (Prof. Dr. med. H. Knauf).
- 11/1980 - 06/1983 University Hospital Kiel, Department of General Pediatrics (Prof. Dr. med. J. Schaub), creation of an interdisciplinary Group on Bone Marrow Transplantation.
- 07/1985 - 06/1987 Physician, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Boston Brigham Medical Center Children's Hospital and Women's Clinic in Boston.
- 07/1986 - 06/1988 Instructor, Podiatry, Harvard Medical School.
- 07/1987 - 11/1988 Clinical Fellow with active personal privileges, Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston.
- 12/1988 - 07/1990 Assistant at the University, Hannover Medical School, Department of Pediatrics (Oncology and Hematology), Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. H. Rihm.
- 10/1989 Medical Specialist in Pediatrics.
- 08/1990 - 08/2002 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatrics, University of Freiburg.
- 11/1993 Habilitation and Venia legendi in Pediatrics, University of Freiburg. Subject: "Approaches to the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children".
- Invitation to the position of Full Professor of Pediatrics, Leopold Franzens University Innsbruck (03/01 refused).
- Invitation to the position of C3 Professor of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Freiburg (03/01 accepted).
- 08/2002 Appointment as Head of the Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Immunology at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 01/2012 Appointment as a Representative of the Center of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Freiburg.
Main Research Focuses
- Hereditary and acquired bone marrow diseases.
- Juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia and other rare myeloproliferative neoplasias in children.
- Myelodysplastic syndrome and secondary leukemia in children and adolescents.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Immunology.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.