University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy (487985)
Specialized in: psychiatry, psychotherapy
About the department
According to the Focus magazine of 2018, the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the University Hospital Freiburg ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of mental disorders!
The department offers the full range of treatment services for patients with mental disorders, which are a big problem not only for the patient himself, but also for his relatives. With a vast clinical experience and the latest achievements of modern medicine, the doctors of the department conduct comprehensive examinations in order to confirm a diagnosis, after which they select an individually adapted therapy. The department is engaged in active research activities allowing the doctors to develop new types of therapy and to provide a complete recovery for the patient. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. Dr. med. Katharina Domschke. She is one of the best specialists in the field of her specialization. She has excellent qualifications and the highest rates of successful treatment.
It should be noted that the department belongs to the leading German medical institutions in the treatment of a depression (one of the most common mental disorders). The unique techniques against this problem are available here. They guarantee optimal results.
The department provides diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Affective disorders (depression and bipolar disorders)
- The combination of pharmacological and psychotherapeutic procedures
- Interpersonal psychotherapy
- Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy (for the treatment of chronic depression)
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Individual drug therapy
- Sleep disorders (for example, insomnia, hypersomnia, obstructive sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome)
- Special consultations
- Video recording of the breathing act and periodic leg movements
- Anxiety disorders (for example, panic disorders, social phobia, anxiety disorder accompanied by depression)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders (obsessive thoughts, tick disorders, Tourette syndrome, trichotillomania, etc.)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Drug therapy (psychotropic drugs)
- Psychotherapy of acceptance and responsibility
- Borderline personality disorders
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (in some cases in combination with individually adapted drug therapy)
- Alcohol and medication addiction, nicotine addiction, drug addiction (specially developed types of therapy)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adulthood
- Psychotraumatology (posttraumatic stress disorder/anxiety disorders)
- Mental disorders in old age
- Psychotic disorders (schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders)
- Diagnostics, including neuropsychological diagnostics
- Differentiated drug therapy
- Social counseling
- Concomitant therapy (for example, ergotherapy, music therapy, physiotherapy)
- Asperger's syndrome and high functioning autism in adults
- Immunological encephalopathy
- Other mental disorders
- 1997 - 2004 Study of Medicine, Westphalian Wilhelm University, Trinity College in Dublin (Ireland).
- 2001 - 2002 Study of Psychology, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2002 Master of Arts in Psychology.
- 2004 Admission to medical practice.
- 2004 Doctoral thesis defense (Dr. med.), Westphalian Wilhelm University.
- 2005 Assistant Physician, Department and Polyclinic of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Bonn.
- 2005 - 2009 Assistant Physician, Department and Polyclinic of Psychiatry, University Hospital Muenster.
- 2006 State American Examination (ECFMG).
- 2008 Habilitation, Westphalian Wilhelm University.
- 2009 - 2010 Assistant Physician, Department and Polyclinic of Neurology, University Hospital Muenster.
- 2010 Doctoral thesis defense, Maastricht University, Netherlands.
- 2010 Medical Specialist in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy.
- 2010 Visiting Professor, Westphalian Wilhelm University.
- 2010 - 2011 Senior Physician in the Department and Polyclinic of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Muenster.
- 2012 - 2016 W2 Professor in Psychiatry, Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg.
- 2012 - 2014 Managing Senior Physician, Head of the Department of Clinical Psychology, Department of Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 2013 Certificate "Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics in Counseling and Liaison Service", German Society for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Psychosomatics and Neurology (DGPPN).
- 2014 - 2016 Deputy Head of the Department of Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 2015 Certificate "Psychosomatics in Psychiatry", German Society for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Psychosomatics and Neurology (DGPPN).
- Since 2016, Adjunct Professor in Psychiatry, Medical University of Vienna, Austria.
- Since 2016, Professor (W2) in Psychiatry and Head of the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the University Hospital Freiburg.
Main Clinical and Research Focuses
- Diagnostics and treatment of all mental illnesses, in particular, anxiety disorders, depression, stress-related diseases, and obsessive-compulsive disorders.
- Prognosis determination, prevention and personalized therapy.
- Genetics, epigenetics, imaging genetics, therapeutic epigenetics.
Prizes and Scholarships
- 1997 - 2004 German Foundation Scholarship (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes).
- 2005 Award for the doctoral thesis defense, Westphalian Wilhelm University.
- 2007 - 2009 "Fast Track" Young Scientists Advanced Training Program, Robert Bosch Foundation.
- 2009 Research Fellow Scholarship of the World Psychiatric Association (WPA).
- 2009 Scientific Prize of the German Medical Association (DÄB).
- 2011 Scientific Prize of the World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP).
- 2011 Ingrid zu Solms Scientific Prize.
- 2011 - 2016 Member of the Academy of Juniors Leopoldina and the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences (BBAW).
- 2013 Research Fellow Scholarship of the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP).
- 2014 Research Prize of the German Society of Biological Psychiatry (DGBP).
- 2015 Prize for the Study of Mental Illness of the German Society for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Psychosomatics and Neurology (DGPPN).
- 2016 Albert Kolliker Award of the Medical Faculty of the University of Würzburg.
- Since 2017, Member of the German Academy of Naturalists "Leopoldina".
Membership in the Professional Societies
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP).
- European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP).
- International Society of Psychiatric Genetics (ISPG).
- Society of Biological Psychiatry (SOBP).
- German Society for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Psychosomatics and Neurology (DGPPN).
- German Society of Biological Psychiatry (DGBP).
- Society of Anxiety Research (GAF)
- German Society for Compulsive Diseases (DGZ).
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.