University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics (488810)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent psychiatry, psychotherapy, psychosomatics
About the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics at University Hospital Freiburg
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics at the University Hospital Freiburg offers the full range of services in these fields. The doctors of the department specialize in the diagnostics and treatment of various diseases in children and adolescents, ranging from depression and anxiety disorders, eating disorders, serious addictions and personality disorders to severe life crises. Since trustful cooperation between the doctor, the patient and his family plays a key role in the success of the therapy, there are conducted comprehensive consultations with the participation of a little patient and his parents, after which the treatment strategy is determined. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Eberhard Schulz.
All specialists of the department are highly competent professionals in their field. The doctors know how to find an approach to children, as well as cooperate well with their parents for a clear understanding of the specific clinical situation and the selection of the optimal treatment program.
The main clinical focuses of the department include the diagnostics and treatment of the following disorders in children and adolescents:
- Eating disorders (anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa)
- Behavioral disorders
- Psychosomatic disorders
- Severe developmental disorders (for example, early childhood autism)
- Hyperkinetic disorders
- Combined disorders of social behavior and expression of the emotions
- Tic and obsessive-compulsive disorders
- Chronic forms of enuresis and encopresis
- Adjustment disorders
- Other mental and psychosomatic disorders
Classical methods of psychotherapy are complemented with the following methods:
- Dialectic behavioral therapy. The technique assumes that children and adolescents with mental problems cannot control their emotions and cope with the stress, and they also experience the negative influence of the social environment. During the treatment, patients learn to look for solutions in stressful situations, comprehend and control their emotions, as well as communicate with their peers. This technique helps children and adolescents with behavioral disorders, depression and suicidal behavior, drug addiction.
- Ergotherapy (individually or in groups). The technique helps patients to develop their decision-making skills, take responsibility, improve self-assessment, accurately perform clearly set tasks.
- Music therapy. This therapy is aimed at improving child’s motor and emotional development, increasing cognitive indicators, developing communication skills and behavior in society.
- Motopedics helps patients with the motor skill disorders and pathological perception of their own body.
- Other methods of therapy.
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Eberhard Schulz
- 1976 - 1983 Study of Human Medicine, University of Giessen.
- 1983 - 1997 Assistant Physician and Research Fellow, Department of Neurochemistry and Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Marburg.
- 1995 Habilitation, Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Marburg.
- Since 1998, C4 Professor and Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics at the University Hospital of Freiburg.
Main Research Focuses
- Research activities in psychotherapy.
Unterrainer JM, Rauh R, Rahm B, Hardt J, Kaller CP, Klein C, Paschke-Muller M, Biscaldi M. Development of Planning in Children with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders and/or Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Autism Res. 2016; 9(7):739-751.
Biscaldi M, Rauh R, Irion L, Jung NH, Mall V, Fleischhaker C, Klein C. Deficits in motor abilities and developmental fractionation of imitation performance in high-functioning autism spectrum disorders. Eur Child Adoles Psy. 2014; 23(7): 599-610.
Herpertz-Dahlmann B, Schwarte R, Krei M, Egberts K, Warnke A, Wewetzer C, Pfeiffer E, Fleischhaker C, Scherag A, Holtkamp K, Hagenah U, Bühren K, Konrad K, Schmidt U, Schade-Brittinger C, Timmesfeld N, Dempfl e A. Day-patient treatment after short inpatient care versus continued inpatient treatment in adolescents with anorexia nervosa (ANDI): a multicentre, randomised, open-label, noninferiority trial. Lancet. 2014; 383(9924):1222-9.
Fleischhaker C, Bohme R, Sixt B, Bruck C, Schneider C, Schulz E. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy for Adolescents (DBT-A): a clinical Trial for Patients with suicidal and self-injurious Behavior and Borderline Symptoms with a one-year Follow-up Child and Adolescent. Psychiatry and Mental Health. 2011; 5(1):3-10.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.