University Hospital Freiburg
Department of Radiation Therapy (488819)
Specialized in: radiation therapy
About the department
According to the results of an independent evaluation of the Focus magazine, the Department of Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Freiburg ranks among the top German Radiation Therapy Centers!
The department offers the full range of modern therapies in this field. The department specializes in stereotactic radiation therapy, which allows to determine the precise coordinates and sizes of tumors for further irradiation. Stereotactic radiation therapy is successfully used in the treatment of brain, lung, liver, kidney tumors and bone metastases. The doctors have at their disposal state-of-art devices and technologies, including the Varian TrueBeam STX Novalis linear accelerator. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Anca-Ligia Grosu.
The department offers the following therapeutic options:
- Stereotactic radiation therapy / radiosurgery
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Imaging-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT)
- Interstitial hyperthermia
- And other diagnostic and therapeutic methods
The department also specializes in intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). The indication for its usage is the location of the tumor near or inside the organs with a high sensitivity to radiation or irregular structure. This method ensures the exact correspondence of the beam shape to the tumor volume by modulating and controlling the intensity of radiation, as well as makes it possible to focus a high dose of a radiation on the certain areas of the tumor while minimizing the influence on the surrounding healthy organs.
Another key option of the department is the intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT). In particular, an innovative organ-preserving treatment of breast cancer has become possible thanks to the usage of this technique. At the same time, the state-of-art Intrabeam device is used for irradiation, which makes it possible to aim the rays on the tumor bed during the surgical intervention and reduce the risk of carcinoma relapse in the future. It should be also noted that the combination of intraoperative radiation therapy and hyperthermic irradiation (tumor overheating) significantly reduces the duration of the treatment course.
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Tumors of the eye and its appendages
- Skin tumors
- Benign and malignant breast tumors
- Tumors of the female genital organs
- Head and neck tumors
- Ear tumors
- All oncological diseases
- Cancers in children and adolescents
- Benign and malignant brain diseases
- Diseases of the brain membranes
- Diseases of the synovial membrane of the joint and tendons
- Osteopathy and chondropathy
- Tumors of the musculoskeletal system
- Diseases of the male genital organs
- Other diseases of the urinary tract
- Other diseases
Education, Training, Professional Experience
- 1981 - 1989 Medical School, University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
- 1990 - 1991 Department of Neurology, Harlaching Hospital, Munich.
- 1992 - 1995 Department of Radiology, Neuroradiology, Rechts der Isar Hospital, Technical University of Munich.
- 1995 - 2000 Department of Radiation Therapy, Rechts der Isar Hospital, Technical University of Munich.
- 2000 Board Certification, Radiation Therapy.
- 2003 Habilitation (Postdoctoral lecture qualification) Department of Radiation Therapy, Rechts der Isar Hospital, Technical University of Munich "Innovative techniques for high precision radiotherapy in brain tumours".
- 2000 - 2006 Assistant Medical Director (Senior Physician), Department of Radiation Therapy, Rechts der Isar Hospital, Technical University of Munich.
- 2006 - 2007 Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Radiation Therapy, Proton Therapy Center, Boston, USA.
- 2007 Professor and Medical Director of the Department of Radiation Therapy, University Hospital Freiburg.
Academic and Professional Appointments
- Vice Dean, Faculty of Medicine, University of Freiburg, Germany.
- Adjunct Professor, Ohio State University, USA.
- Member of the Executive Committee German Neurooncology Working Group (NOA).
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- Chair of the Hanns Langendorff Committee.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Department of Radiation Therapy.
University Hospital Freiburg:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.