University Hospital Greifswald
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (568605)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology, head and neck surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the University Hospital Greifswald offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment in these fields. The department has an excellent infrastructure for carrying out the otolaryngological functional diagnostics in adults and children, the cutting-edge operating rooms, in which both simple and extremely complex surgical interventions are performed. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Werner Hosemann.
The department houses the Sleep Laboratory, which specializes in the detection and treatment of sleep disorders. Also, an important clinical focus is the hearing screening in newborns and cochlear implantation. The department has 30 beds for inpatient treatment.
The department’s diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum of services includes:
- Endoscopic and microscopic surgery of the nose and paranasal sinuses (including lacrimal duct surgery and endonasal laser surgery)
- Ear surgery
- Closure of the eardrum defects
- Sanitation in inflammatory processes
- Surgery to improve hearing
- Restoration of the auditory ossicle function
- Implantation of hearing aids
- Semi-implantable hearing aids (Vibrant Soundbridge)
- Cochlear implantation
- Laser surgery
- Diode laser treatment (endonasal surgery of the nose and paranasal sinuses, treatment of Osler's disease and nasal hemorrhages, telangiectasia of the face)
- CO2 laser treatment (laryngeal and cancer surgery)
- Plastic, reconstructive and functional aesthetic surgery of the head and neck (for example, nose or auricle reshaping, treatment of tissue defects, improvement of nasal breathing)
- Skull base surgery (navigation-assisted interventions)
- Surgical oncology (including the functional laser surgery)
- Treatment of injuries (head and neck injuries, in collaboration with the Departments of Neurosurgery, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ophthalmology)
- Laryngeal (including the phonosurgery) and tracheal surgery
- Phoniatrics (voice disorders, speech problems, swallowing disorders (for example, after a stroke), examination and treatment of hearing impairments in children of all age groups, stuttering, disorders of perception and information processing in children)
- Diagnostics and therapy of sleep apnea (impaired respiratory regulation during sleep, snoring)
- Diagnostics and treatment of dizziness (in interdisciplinary collaboration)
- Newborn hearing screening
- Other medical services
Professor Hosemann studied medicine at the University of Freiburg. The first stage of his education was the subject Pathology (Volker Becker), University of Erlangen. He was habilitated upon the order of his teacher Malte Erik Wigand. The work was devoted to the research of wound healing after paranasal sinus surgery.
The doctor has repeatedly acted as the Main Speaker of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (Medical and Legal Problems in Sinus Surgery (1992), Chronic Sinusitis and Obstructive Respiratory Diseases (2000), Interdisciplinary Treatment of Injuries (2004)). Since 2014, Professor Hosemann has been the President of the German Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
The doctor worked at the University Hospital Erlangen, which was followed by the position of the Leading Senior Physician at the University Hospital Regensburg. In 2001, the doctor was invited to the University Hospital Greifswald, where he became the successor of Eberhard Werner.
The professor is a well-known author of more than 100 articles in German on acute and chronic maxillary sinusitis, its drug and surgical treatment. In particular, special attention should be given to paranasal sinus surgery with the research of wound healing and the development of special techniques.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
University Hospital Greifswald:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.