University Hospital Greifswald
Department of Hand Surgery and Functional Microsurgery (568608)
Specialized in: hand surgery, functional microsurgery
About the department
The Department of Hand Surgery and Functional Microsurgery at the University Hospital Greifswald offers the full range of services in these fields. In addition to all modern interventions on the hand, the department specializes in plastic surgery for the closure of skin and tissue defects by means of microsurgical tissue transplantation, as well as reconstructive microsurgery of the peripheral nerves. Depending on the clinical indications, the operations can be performed both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Andreas Eisenschenk.
Since 2013, the department is the certified Hand Injury Center (certification of the Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand).
The department's specialists work in the state-of-the-art operating rooms. The advanced surgical systems, monitoring devices, computer equipment provide the most accurate interventions with minimal trauma. Also, the decisive role in hand surgery is played by the professionalism of the department's doctors, since such operations require deep expert knowledge and extensive experience.
The service range of the department includes:
- Conservative and surgical treatment of hand and wrist fractures, including the high-severity injuries
- Replantation surgery of the upper limbs (round-the-clock service)
- Treatment of tendon injuries and tendon diseases, including reconstructive hand tendon surgery
- Treatment of peripheral nerve damages and nerve compression syndromes in the upper and lower limbs
- Correction of bone and joint defects (for example, after fractures)
- Treatment of degenerative joint diseases (arthrosis) and rheumatic hand diseases
- Treatment of soft tissue disorders of the hand (for example, Dupuytren's contracture, ganglion)
- Cancer surgery
- Reconstruction and closure of soft tissue defects of the upper and lower limbs by means of tissue transplantation
- Surgical treatment of the upper limb paralysis
- Treatment of hand inflammatory processes
- Other therapeutic options
- 1977 - 1984 Study of Human Medicine at the Free University of Berlin.
- 16.10.1984 Admission to medical practice, Free University of Berlin.
- 01.01.1985 - 31.12.1986 Research Fellow in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Göttingen (Prof. Dr. med. E.R. de Vivie).
- 29.11.1985 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, Department of Orthopedics, Free University of Berlin. Subject: "Thermographic assessment of the changes in blood circulation in the forearm in the treatment using the physiotherapeutic measures".
- 01.01.1987 - 31.10.1997 Research Fellow, Medical Specialist and Senior Physician, Department of Orthopedics, Free University of Berlin (Prof. Dr. med. G. Friedebold, Prof. Dr. med. U. Weber).
- 1991 - 1997 Head of the Replantation Unit, Department of Orthopedics, Free University of Berlin, Oskar-Helene-Heim Hospital.
- Since 01.11.1997, Head of the Section of Surgery, Hand Replantation and Microsurgery, Trauma Hospital Berlin (Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin).
- Lectures and internships at the Faculty of Medicine of the Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald (since 1998), at the Faculty of Medicine of the Free University of Berlin (since 1997) and at the Faculty of Medicine of the Humboldt University of Berlin (since 2002).
- 2006 - 2008 Additional academic education and cooperation with the Faculty of Medicine of the Humboldt University of Berlin (Prof. Dr. med. U. Weber).
- Head of the Center for Specialized Rehabilitation Medicine at the Trauma Hospital Berlin (Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin).
- Since 16.04.2012, Head of the Department of Hand Surgery and Functional Microsurgery at the University Hospital Greifswald.
- Since May till July 1990, Scientific Guest Lecture in the Department of Hand Surgery and Reconstructive Microsurgery, Toronto, Canada, General Hospital.
- 1995 Guest Lecture at the University of Ioannina, Greece.
- 2007 Guest Lecture at the University of Larissa, Greece.
Professional Сertification and Additional Qualifications (Berlin Medical Association)
- 02.04.1991 Medical Specialist in Orthopedics.
- 28.04.1992 Additional qualifications in Sports Medicine.
- 26.11.1996 Optional advanced training in Special Orthopedic Surgery.
- 26.11.1996 Additional qualifications in Hand Surgery.
- 09.10.2007 Medical Specialist in Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 10.21.2008 Additional qualification in Radiodiagnostics (in the field of specialization).
Membership in Scientific Societies and Organizations
- Since 1988, Member of the Section for Hand Surgery and Microsurgery of the German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (DGOT).
- Since 01.10.1989, Member of the German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (DGOT).
- Since 1992, Associate Member of the German-speaking Working Group on Microsurgery of Peripheral Nerves and Vessels (DAM).
- Since 1992, Associate Member of the German Working Group on Hand Surgery (DAM).
- Since 1992, Associate Member of the German Society for Hand Surgery (DGH).
- November 1993 Founding Member of the Working Group on the Osteosynthesis of the Hand of the German Section of the International Working Group (IAO).
- Since June 1995, Member and Head of the Section for the Treatment of Injuries, Soft Tissue Damage, Microsurgery and Replantation Surgery of the German Society of Orthopedic Foot Surgery (DEGOF).
- 13.06.1997 Appointed as a Member of the German-speaking Association for Microsurgery of the Peripheral Nerves and Vessels (DAM).
- 08.10.1997 Appointed as a Member of the German Society of Hand Surgery (DAH).
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Department of Hand Surgery and Functional Microsurgery.
University Hospital Greifswald:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.