University Hospital Greifswald
Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Internal Intensive Care (568617)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology, pulmonology, internal intensive care
About the department
The Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Internal Intensive Care at the University Hospital Greifswald offers the full range of services in diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the heart, blood vessels, and lungs. Of particular interest is the treatment of coronary heart disease, acute and chronic heart failure, arterial hypertension and heart arrhythmias. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Felix.
On the basis of the department, there are 2 modern Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories, which perform such procedures as balloon dilatation, vascular stenting, laser angioplasty and other advanced interventions. The department has 108 beds. The Intensive Care Unit, designed for 12 beds, is equipped with state-of the-art mechanical ventilation systems and offers all the possibilities of modern intensive care.
The service range of the department includes:
- Electrophysiological methods of diagnostics and therapy
- Non-invasive diagnostics of heart arrhythmias
- ECG at rest
- Exercise ECG
- 24-hour ECG monitoring
- Cardiac event recorder
- Passive orthostatic test (tilt table test)
- Ajmaline testing to diagnose Brugada syndrome
- Cardiac catheterization to detect heart arrhythmias or assess the risk of heart arrhythmia development
- Atrial fibrillation
- Typical and atypical flutter
- Atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome
- Focal atrial tachycardia
- Ventricular extrasystoles
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Non-invasive diagnostics of heart arrhythmias
- Implantation of the mechanical heart support systems
- Cardiac event recorders
- Catheter Laboratory
- Imaging of coronary vessels (coronary angiography), most often through radial access in the wrist area
- Coronary angioplasty (PTCA) and stent implantation in coronary heart disease
- Fractional flow reserve measurement
- Intracoronary tomography using intravascular ultrasound and optical coherence tomography
- Re-opening of chronic coronary occlusion
- Treatment of highly calcified and prolonged vascular stenosis (rotablation)
- Right heart catheterization at rest and after exercise with invasive pressure measurement in the pulmonary circulation
- Pericardial puncture (for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes)
- Myocardial biopsy for the differential diagnostics of heart failure
- Treatment of structural heart diseases
- Closure of patent foramen ovale/atrial septal defect
- Treatment of mitral valve defects using the MitraClip method
- Atrial appendage occluder device implantation
- Innovative therapy of heart muscle weakness and inflammation (immunoadsorption)
- Functional diagnostics
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Electrocardiography and blood pressure measurement
- ECG at rest and 24-hour ECG monitoring
- Long-term blood pressure measurement
- Ergometry and spiroergometry
- Control and reprogramming of a pacemaker, defibrillator
- Spirometry, body plethysmography, diffusion ability testing
- Right heart catheterization for measuring pressure in the pulmonary and systemic circulation
- Pulmonary function tests and right heart catheterization
- Vascular diagnostics with the examination of vascular functionality
- Duplex sonography of the cerebral vessels
- Duplex sonography of the limb arteries
- Duplex sonography of the renal arteries
- Duplex sonography of the abdominal aorta
- Compression ultrasonography of the leg veins
- Angiography, balloon dilatation, stenting, laser angioplasty of blood vessels supplying the brain, peripheral vessels (including small vessels of the lower extremities), as well as renal arteries
- Re-opening of dialysis shunts using catheter techniques
- Obstructive respiratory diseases (asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Endoscopic lung volume reduction (for example endoscopic valve implantation, implantation of coils)
- Diagnostics and treatment of interstitial lung diseases (within the specialized center)
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary hypertension (including special consultations)
- Diagnostics and treatment of bronchial carcinoma (in collaboration with the Departments of General and Thoracic Surgery, Radiation Therapy)
- Clinical infectology
- Clinical allergology
- Weaning, including specialized consultations (within the specialized center)
- Invasive and non-invasive studies to determine the possibility of switching to home-based mechanical ventilation
- Pulmonary endoscopy
- Flexible and rigid bronchoscopy, including all diagnostic and interventional procedures
- Sonography of the lungs and respiratory tract
- Pulmonary function testing
- Lung function tests, including provocative tests, diffusion measurement, assessment of the respiratory muscle function
- Cardiopulmonary examinations (spiroergometry)
- Examination in long-term oxygen therapy
- Right heart catheterization at rest and after exercise (including with simultaneous spiroergometry and echocardiography)
- Special diagnostics of sleep disorders (for example, hypoventilation syndromes)
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal and thoracic organs
Internal intensive care
- Intensive care for the treatment of patients with impaired function of one or several vital organs
- Mechanical ventilation (invasive, for example, through a tracheostomy tube, and non-invasive, for example, through various masks)
- Renal replacement therapy (for example, dialysis, hemofiltration)
- Liver function support therapy (for example, MARS)
- Innovative methods of intensive care (for example, special ventilation methods, new medications, new blood purification techniques)
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (within the specialized center)
- Other disorders, diagnostic and treatment methods in the field of cardiology, angiology, pulmonology and internal intensive care
- 1976 - 1982 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Free University of Berlin, Technical University of Munich.
- 1983 - 1984 Service in the German Bundeswehr as a Medical Officer (15 months).
- 1984 - 1990 Specialist training in Internal Medicine at the Department of Internal Medicine I, Technical University of Munich.
- 1985 Doctoral degree (summa cum laude).
- 1990 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1991 Habilitation.
- 1992 Sub-specialization in Cardiology.
- 1992 - 2000 Leading Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine I at the Charité Hospital, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- 1995 Appointed as С3 Professor of Internal Medicine/Cardiology, Humboldt University of Berlin.
- Since April 2000, Full Professor of Cardiology and Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology, and Internal Intensive Care at the University Hospital Greifswald.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Internal Intensive Care.
University Hospital Greifswald:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.