University Hospital Greifswald
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery (568626)
Specialized in: oral and maxillofacial surgery, facial plastic surgery
About the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery at University Hospital Greifswald
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery at the University Hospital Greifswald offers the full range of treatment of maxillofacial diseases and defects, modern plastic and reconstructive surgical interventions, all the possibilities of cosmetic facial surgery, as well as the installation of dental implants of the latest generation. The department also specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of tumors, chronic wounds of the maxillofacial area, chronic pain while chewing due to the temporomandibular joint pain dysfunction syndrome. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr. med. dent. Hans-Robert Metelmann.
The department is certified by the German Cancer Society for the treatment of head and neck tumors. The high-tech equipment, in-depth expertise combined with the doctors' long experience form a solid basis for the successful clinical work.
The department’s specialists mostly have to deal with the treatment of the following pathologies:
- Actinic keratosis
- Alveolar ridge atrophy
- Eyebrow asymmetry (for example, eyebrow ptosis)
- Eyelid tumors and defects
- Basal carcinoma
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Facial nerve paralysis
- Fractures and malformations in the maxillofacial area
- Front teeth damage
- Maxillofacial pain
- Facial skin lesions
- Temporomandibular joint diseases
- Maxillary sinus diseases
- Diseases of the lips
- Diseases of the oral mucosa
- Bleeding after tooth extraction and other oral surgical procedures
- Odontogenic, purulent infections
- Protruding ears
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Salivary gland tumors
- Salivary gland stones
- Abnormally increased lacrimation
- Oral and maxillofacial tumors
- Head and neck tumors
- Abnormal alignment of teeth
- Tooth loss
- Other diseases
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes:
- 3D volumetric tomography
- Search for pathological focus
- Functional diagnostics
- Endoscopy and arthroscopy of the temporomandibular joint
- Laboratory testing
- Analysis of pain sensation
- Eyelid reconstructive surgery
- Jawbone augmentation
- Treatment of chronic wounds
- Body lift
- Botulinum toxin therapy
- Surgical navigation
- Endoscopic interventions on the temporomandibular joint
- Endoscopic forehead and eyebrow lift
- Face lift
- Wrinkle treatment with fillers
- Temporomandibular joint surgery
- Mentoplasty (chin plasty)
- Filling of bone tissue deficit with artificial materials
- Complex surgical reconstruction of the maxillofacial defects
- Flap plasty (transplantation of free flaps with a microsurgical vascular connection)
- Laser therapy
- Installation of mini dental implants
- Osteosynthesis using mini- and microplates
- Necrotic tissue sanitation
- Scar revision
- Nerve reconstruction (including nerve transplantation)
- Plastic reconstructive facial interventions
- Installation of port systems
- Periprosthetic surgery
- Sinus lifting (external, internal)
- Wisdom tooth extraction
- Wound debridement
- Root apex resection
- Imposition of special dressings containing medications (for example, iodine-containing dressings)
- Dental implant installation
- Dental sanation under general anesthesia
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck tumors (within the specialized center)
- Classic X-ray examinations
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Bone scan (skeletal scintigraphy)
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Surgical treatment using the most modern technologies (in particular, laser techniques, surgical navigation, neuromonitoring)
- Drug therapy (for example, chemotherapy, targeted therapy with antibodies)
- Reconstructive plastic surgery of the head and neck using microvascular free flaps
- Treatment within the framework of the national and international clinical trials
- Phoniatric and logopedic rehabilitation
- Psycho-oncological care, self-help groups
- Other diagnostic and treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. med. dent. Hans-Robert Metelmann
- Board certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery.
- Since 1993, Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery and Professor of the University of Greifswald.
- 1998 - 2000 Vice Rector, and since 2000 - 2002 Rector of the University of Greifswald.
- 2002 - 2006 Minister (independent) of Education, Science and Culture of the Land Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in the Cabinet of Ringstor.
- Study of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Human Medicine at the Free University of Berlin.
- 1980 - 1981 Research Fellowship at the Cancer Research Center of the University of Texas, USA.
- Training for a Medical Specialist in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Free University of Berlin (under the direction of R. Stelmach).
- 1987 Member of the American Society of Cancer Research (First German Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon admitted).
- Since 1990, Visiting Professor at the University of Alabama, USA (Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery).
- 1995 - 1997 President of the German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Oral and Maxillofacial Tumors.
- 1998 Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
- 1997 - 1998 Spokesperson of the German Cancer Society (Association of Otolaryngology, Oral and Maxillofacial Cancer Surgery).
- 2007 Observer at the Stanford University, Faculty of Medicine.
- President-elect of ScanBalt.
Awards and Honors
- 1988 Martin Wassmund Prize for Cancer Research.
- 1989 Johann Georg Zimmerman Prize for Experimental Oral Surgery.
- 1990 Konrad Morgenroth Prize for Preventive Medicine (Community Medicine).
- 1982 Research Grant from the Anne Guttentag Memorial Research Foundation, Texas.
- 1989 International Prize of the Ministry of Health of India for Reconstructive Surgery.
- 2006 Minerva Medal of the Max Planck Society.
Areas of Interests
- Cancer research.
- Cancer politics.
- Creation of the first advanced university training course in Aesthetic Medicine.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery.
University Hospital Greifswald:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.