University Hospital Greifswald
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (568632)
Henry W. S. Schroeder
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Greifswald offers the full range of neurosurgical methods for the treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, spine and nerves in patients of all age groups. The department has gained a reputation as a Center for Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery. The focus is on endoscopic surgery, surgical treatment of disorders of the skull base, pituitary, epilepsy, deep brain stimulation, treatment of vascular malformations, surgery of spine and peripheral nerves. Many neurosurgical diseases are treated within the highly specialized centers that operate on the basis of the department.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Henry W.S. Schroeder. According to the Focus magazine, the physician ranks among the top German experts specializing in the treatment of brain tumors.
The department has two state-of-the-art operating rooms equipped with the advanced microsurgical instruments (surgical microscopes, ultrasonic aspirators, electrophysiological monitoring systems, instruments for measuring cerebral perfusion, ultrasound devices, neuronavigation systems). More than 1,600 interventions of various degrees of complexity are performed here annually.
In September 2016, the department became the only institution in Northern Germany that was certified by the German Cancer Society (DKG) as a Neuro-Oncology Center. At present, there are only 27 centers of this kind in Germany. In July 2018, the Section of Pediatric Neurosurgery also received this certification. Currently, only 19 children's hospitals in Germany can boast of having such a certificate. Thus, the department offers highly professional, modern and individualized treatment of cancers of the nervous system in adult and young patients.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Endoscopic endonasal skull base surgery
- Treatment of spinal disc herniations (cervical and lumbar spine)
- Epilepsy surgery
- Functional stereotaxy (for Parkinson's disease, dystonia, tremor)
- Hemifacial spasm treatment
- Treatment of cerebrovascular diseases
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Dural arteriovenous fistula
- Cerebral hemodynamic ischemia
- Treatment of Chiari malformation
- Treatment of hydrocephalus
- Navigation-assisted surgery
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Nerve damage
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Treatment of syringomyelia
- Treatment of traumatic brain injuries
- Pain therapy
- Treatment of trigeminal neuralgia
- Treatment of tumors
- Brain tumors
- Acoustic neuroma (vestibular schwannoma)
- Epidermoid cyst
- Brain tumors in children
- Intraventricular tumors
- Pineal tumors
- Trigeminal neuroma
- Orbital tumors
- Pituitary tumors
- Cushing's disease
- Hormonally inactive pituitary tumors
- Peripheral nerve tumors
- Spinal tumors
- Brain tumors
- Treatment of cysts
- Arachnoid cyst
- Colloid cyst
- Pineal cyst
- Spinal surgery
- Spinal injuries
- Craniovertebral joint instability
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Meningocele, lipomyelomeningocele, spinal cord tension syndrome
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Intraventricular hemorrhage in premature infants
- Arachnoid cysts, ependymal cysts
- Head, spinal and peripheral nerve injuries due to an accident
- Surgical treatment of other neurosurgical diseases in adults and children
- 1983 - 1989 Study of Human Medicine at Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald.
- 26.08.1989 Admission to medical practice.
- 09.01.1990 Doctoral thesis defense with honors. Subject: "Effect of sodium thiocyanate on the humoral immune response in the splenectomized guinea pig".
- 01.09.1989 - 04.09.1996 Research Fellow of the Department of Neurosurgery, Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald.
- 04.09.1996 Board certification.
- 03.07.2001 Habilitation on the subject: "Neuroendoscopic therapy of arachnoid cysts, intraventricular processes and CSF pathway stenosis."
- 16.05.2001 Venia legendi and appointment as a Senior Physician.
- 01.02.2003 - 01.12.2004 Acting Head of the Department.
- 08.06.2004 - 01.12.200 Extraordinary Professor.
- Since 01.12.2004, C4 Professor and Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Greifswald.
- 12.03.1997 Theoretical basis of the speciality, Radiation Protection in accordance with the provisions of the Radiological Protection Ordinance.
- 11.01.2006 Special Neurosurgical Intensive Care.
- 1990 Internship under Prof. Hermann, Department of Neurosurgery, Hamburg.
- 1991 Internship under Prof. Millezi, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, University Hospital Vienna.
- 1992 Internship under Prof. Berger, Department of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery, Hannover.
- 1992 Internship under Prof. Samii, Department of Neurosurgery, Nordstadt, Hannover.
- 1996 Internship under Prof. Manwaring, Phoenix Children's Hospital, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- 1998 Internship under Prof. Spetzler, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- 2000 Internship under Prof. Jho, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- 2005 Internship under Prof. Spetzler, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- 2005 Internship under Prof. Fukushima, Duke University, North Carolina, USA.
- 2005 Internship under Prof. Berger, UCLA, San Francisco, California, USA.
- 2005 Internship under Prof. Fukushima, Japan.
- 1992 - 1997 Associate Member of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- Since 1997, Full Member of the German Society of Neurosurgery.
- 1997 - 2001 Secretary of the German Society for Endoscopic Neurosurgery and Neuronavigation.
- Since 1998, International Member of the Congress of Neurosurgeons (USA).
- Since 2006, International Member of the American Association of Neurosurgeons (USA).
- Since 2009, Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German Society of Skull Base Surgery.
- Since 2009, Corresponding Member of the South Cone Society of Neurological Surgeons.
- Since 2011, Member of the German Academy of Neurosurgery.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
University Hospital Greifswald:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.