University Hospital Greifswald
Department of Neurology (569772)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Greifswald offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves and muscles. The main department’s areas of specialization include the treatment of vascular diseases and strokes, all forms of epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, motor disorders, etc. The department offers the very latest diagnostic and treatment methods, including video EEG monitoring and invasive diagnostics of epilepsy, deep brain stimulation, etc. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Agnes Flöel.
The department is the recognized Center for Movement Disorders. These include diseases, such as Parkinson's disease, essential tremor, generalized and focal forms of dystonia, neurological gait abnormalities and spastic paralysis, etc. The department offers the comprehensive treatment programs, including neuropsychological counseling, occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech therapy as part of the holistic treatment. The therapeutic options include standard and invasive drug therapy (for Parkinson's disease), as well as deep brain stimulation.
The department has long experience in the diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy and is one of the leading centers in Germany. The doctors have at their disposal the state-of-art equipment for the diagnostics of all forms of epilepsy, including non-invasive and invasive preoperative diagnostics. This allows the department's physicians to classify various forms of epilepsy and, if necessary, make a decision on surgical treatment. The therapeutic spectrum includes all modern methods, ranging from drug therapy to surgical treatment and vagus nerve stimulation (VNS therapy). Thanks to close cooperation with other German and international Epilepsy Centers, there are provided top-class medical services.
The department also boasts of its advanced experience in treating dementia, headaches, neuromuscular diseases, infectious diseases of the nervous system, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases of the central and peripheral nervous systems (neuroimmunology), as well as neuro-oncological disorders. In addition, special attention is paid to the treatment of vascular diseases and post-stroke neurological deficit. The department is a certified Stroke Unit. The offered range of services is complemented by modern telemedicine capabilities.
The department’s spectrum of services includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Motor disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Essential tremor
- Focal and generalized dystonias
- Neurological gait abnormalities and spastic paralysis
- Extrapyramidal disorders
- Other motor disorders (ataxia, Wilson's disease, Huntington's disease, Tourette syndrome, etc.)
- Vascular neurology
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Diseases of the meninges of the brain and spinal cord
- Other neurovascular disorders
- Dementia states
- Drug and surgical treatment of all forms of epilepsy
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Polyneuropathies and other diseases of the peripheral nervous system
- Lesions of the neuromuscular synapses and muscle dysfunction due to this condition
- Cerebral palsy and other forms of paralysis
- Infectious diseases of the CNS
- Multiple sclerosis
- Inflammatory diseases of the CNS
- Diseases of the nerves, nerve roots and plexuses
- Malignant brain diseases
- Benign brain tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological diseases
- 2015 Specialist Exam in Geriatrics, Germany.
- 2007 Specialist Exam in Neurology, Germany.
- 1999 Final Exam in Medicine, University of Hannover, Germany.
- 2008 Postdoctoral thesis (Habilitation), Department of General Neurology, University hospital Muenster, Germany.
- 1999 Doctoral thesis, Dr. med., University of Hannover, Germany (Advisor: PD Dr. D. Lazovic).
Professional Career after Completing Medical Degrees
- 2013 - 2017 Professor of Cognitive Neurology at the NeuroCure Clinical Research Center, University Hospital Charite Berlin, Germany.
- 2009 - 2013 Professor of Pathophysiology of Cerebrovascular Diseases at the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charite Berlin, Germany (Institute Head: Matthias Endres).
- Since 2009, Senior Attending Neurologist, Head of Memory Clinic, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charite Berlin, Germany.
- Since 2010, Principal Investigator at the Center for Stroke Research Berlin, University Hospital Charite Berlin, Germany.
- Since 2011, Principal Investigator at the Berlin School of Mind & Brain, Cluster of Excellence NeuroCure, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany.
Awards and Honors
- 2012 Heinrich Pette Prize of the German Neurological Society.
- 2010 Damp Prize for Rehabilitation, Germany.
- 2007 - 2009 Member of the Young Scientists at the Academy of Sciences.
- 2006 - 2007 Lise Meitner Habilitation Scholarship of North-Rhine Westphalia.
- 2000.02.04 Poster Prize at the conference Human Brain Mapping.
- 2003 Fellowship Award of the National Institutes of Health, USA.
Other Professional Activities
- 2007 - 2010 Project Leader in Collaborative Project "Exercise-induced learning facilitation via up-regulation of dopamine" (BMBF).
- 2010 - 2013 Coordinator of Collaborative Project "Effects of Dietary Interventions on the Brain in Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)" (BMBF).
- 2011 - 2014 Clinical Coordinator of Multicenter RCT "Effectiveness of Intensive Aphasia Therapy Under Routine Clinical Conditions" (BMBF).
- 2015 - 2020 Coordinator of Collaborative Project "Brain Plasticity for Active Aging: Enhancing Sensory, Motor, and Cognitive Function by Training Interventions and Non-invasive Brain Stimulation" (BMBF).
- 2015 - 2020 Project Leader within Collaborative Project "Smartage: Neurobiological basis of polyamine protection from age-induced memory decline" (BMBF).
- 2013 - 2016 Coordinator and PI of Multicenter RCT "Physical Activity in Subacute Stroke" (BMBF).
- Since 2011, Elected Member of the Review Panel, A. von Humboldt Foundation, Germany.
- Since 2012, Editorial Board, Journal "Stroke".
- 2017 - 2018 President for the German Society for Neurophysiology and Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Greifswald:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.