University Hospital Greifswald
Department of Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery (569787)
Specialized in: traumatology, reconstructive surgery
About the Department of Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery at University Hospital Greifswald
The Department of Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery at the University Hospital Greifswald offers the full range of treatment of injuries of varying severity. The department is one of the best medical institutions of its kind in Germany, which is confirmed by prestigious certificates, for example, the certificate of the German Society of Traumatology (supraregional Trauma Center), Leading Medicine Guide certificate, etc. The specialists of the department not only provide comprehensive therapy of injuries, including sports and professional ones, but also offer patients high-quality outpatient rehabilitation aimed at restoring patient mobility. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. Axel Ekkernkamp.
All surgical interventions are performed in perfectly equipped operating rooms. To ensure the best possible accuracy during the operation and not damage healthy tissues, the department is fitted out with the advanced navigation and computerized surgical systems.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Polytrauma treatment
- Extremity and pelvic surgery
- Conservative and surgical treatment of bone fractures
- Therapy of post-traumatic and degenerative hip, knee, shoulder diseases
- Prosthesis replacement
- Spinal surgery
- Surgical treatment of spinal injuries
- Minimally invasive joint surgery
- Diagnostic and therapeutic arthroscopy of all large joints
- Hand, foot and replantation surgery
- Treatment of fractures, tendon and soft tissue injuries
- Corrective interventions
- Sports traumatology
- Conservative and surgical treatment of injuries of the musculoskeletal system, sustained when exercising
- Navigation-assisted surgery
- Navigation and computerized interventions (spinal surgery, prosthetics and cruciate ligament replacement)
- Primary treatment of patients with high-severity burns
- Septic surgery of the entire musculoskeletal system
- Surgical and conservative treatment of acute and chronic infections of bones and soft tissues
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation (within the framework of an outpatient rehabilitation center)
- Follow-up of patients after injuries (including comprehensive counseling)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr.h.c. Axel Ekkernkamp
- Study of Human Medicine and Dentistry in Muenster (Westfalia), study of Human Medicine in Bern (Switzerland).
- 1983 State exam, admission to medical practice, doctoral degree.
- 1983 Visiting Doctor, Department of Orthopedics at the University Hospital Vienna.
- 1984 Work in the Bundeswehr Hospital Osnabrück.
- 1984 Captain of the Medical Service, Munich.
- 1984 - 1997 Research Fellow and Senior Physician in the Department of Surgery, Bergmannsheil Hospital at the Ruhr University in Bochum (Prof. Dr. G. Muhr, Dr. R. Op den Winkel).
- 1988 - 1989 Assistant Physician, St. Joseph Hospital at the Ruhr University in Bochum (University Hospital), Prof. Dr. V. Zumtobel.
- 1989 Medical Specialist in Surgery.
- 1992 Visiting Doctor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University Hospital Bern (Prof. Dr. med. R. Ganz).
- 1992 Habilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Ruhr University in Bochum, Venia Legendi in Surgery.
- 1993 Participation in the first foreign mission of the German Federal Armed Forces UNTAC in Cambodia.
- 1994 Acting Medical Director of the Bergmannstrost Halle/Saale Hospital.
- 1994 Visiting Doctor, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, USA.
- 1994 Elected as the Head of the Department of Traumatology, Trauma Clinic Berlin (Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin), (groundbreaking ceremony 1994, commissioning 1997).
- 1996 Appointment as Medical Director of the Trauma Clinic Berlin (Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin).
- 1997 Extraordinary Professor, Ruhr University in Bochum.
- 1997 Head of the Department of Traumatology at the Trauma Clinic Berlin (Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin).
- 1999 Full Professor at the Chair of Traumatology, University of Greifswald.
- 1999 Head of the Department of Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery at the University Hospital Greifswald.
- 1999 Managing Director of the Trauma Clinic Berlin (Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin).
- 2009 Professor at the Thai Binh Medical University, Vietnam.
- 2017 Chairman of the Board and Chairman of the Medical Advisory Board of BG-Kliniken GmbH.
- Hand surgery.
- Sports medicine.
- Physiotherapy and balneology.
- Emergency medical care.
- Intensive care.
- Special traumatology.
- Qualifications for consulting in genetics.
Awards and Honors
- 1979 Scholarship of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
- 1988 EU Erasmus Scholarship Program in various UK clinics (Oswestry, Sheffield, Nottingham).
- 1993 Herbert Lauterbach Prize.
- 1998 Ernst von Bergmann Memorial Medal of the German Medical Association.
- 2001 Federal Cross of Merit.
- 2007 Dr.h.c. of the University of Pyongyang (Korea).
- 2007 Federal Cross of Merit (first class).
- 2011 Order of Merit of Berlin.
- 2015 Badge of Honor of Kommandeur Sanitätskommando I.
- 2017 DGUV Silver Medal for many years of work in the field of compulsory insurance against accidents.
- 1998 Corresponding Member of the Association of Orthopedicians and Trauma Surgeons (OTA).
- 1998 Honorary Membership of the American Fracture Association (AFA).
- 1998 Founding Member of the Rotary Club Berlin-Alexanderplatz.
- Clinica Physiologica Anaesthesiologica (CPA), (membership until 31.12.2016).
- 2001 Founding Member, Berlin Capital Club.
- 2002 German-Turkish Health Forum (Founding Member, Berlin, 19.12.2002).
- 2005 Member of the Board of Trustees, German Association of Physical Therapy (ZVK).
- 2007 Founder of the Journal of Trauma Management & Outcomes.
- 2008 President of the German Society of Traumatology.
- 2008 Deputy President (Founder) of the German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 2008 Honorary Membership of the Latin American Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SLAOT).
- 2008 Presidium, Health Care Club (Club der Gesundheitswirtschaft (cdgw)).
- 2008 Head of the Initiative Quality in Medicine (IQM).
- 2009 Corresponding Member of the German Society of Military Medicine and Military Pharmacology.
- 2011 Member of the Editorial Board of DGUV Kompact.
- 2012 Founding Member, World Orthopedic Alliance (Beijing, 15.11.2012).
- 2013 Founding Member of the Ayinger Discussion Group.
- 2013 National Center for Plasma Medicine (Constituent Council, Berlin, 03.06.2013).
- 2013 Scientific Advisory Board, Deutsche Verkehrswacht (DVW).
- 2013 ProBrasil Board of Trustees, Martim de Lima, Sao Paulo.
- 2013 Founding Member, Advisory Board, InterComponentWare AG ICW.
- 2015 Founding Member, German-Korean Health Forum.
- 2016 Corresponding Member, Austrian Society of Traumatology (ÖGU).
- 2016 Center for Innovative Competence.
- 2016 Member of the Advisory Board, German Society for Comprehensive Medical Assistance (DGIV).
- 2016 Honorary Member, National Center for Plasma Medicine.
- 2018 Senate Member, German Society for Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (DIGEST).
Photo of the doctor: (с) Universitätsmedizin Greifswald
Department of Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery.
University Hospital Greifswald:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.