University Hospital Halle (Saale)
Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine (229529)
Specialized in: obstetrics, prenatal medicine
About the department
The Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine at the University Hospital Halle offers the full range of prenatal diagnostics, pregnancy management, childbirth and postpartum care in accordance with all the standards of modern medicine. Due to its successful clinical activities and the highest level of service, the department has earned the status of the Level I Perinatal Center. In addition, the department includes the Fetal Surgery Center, within which various therapeutic procedures are carried out for the treatment of fetal pathologies before delivery, in the womb. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Michael Tschirikov.
The department’s specialization covers not only the management of women with a normal course of pregnancy, but also the treatment of rare diseases during pregnancy. Various screening tests are carried out in order to exclude pathologies at the stage of fetal development, including invasive ones. If a malformation or a congenital disease is detected, the doctors carry out comprehensive consultations with parents, during which they inform them about the possible consequences of the pathology, optimal treatment options and their predicted results.
It is worth noting that the department is one of the few centers in Germany, which perform intrauterine interventions in the case of rare diseases such as feto-fetal transfusion syndrome (FFTS), fetal congenital diaphragmatic hernia or obstructive uropathy.
The service range of the department includes:
- Pregnancy management
- Medical care in preterm birth in the case of uncomplicated pregnancy
- Medical care in preterm birth in the case of high-risk pregnancies
- Medical care in pregnancy with pelvic presentation
- Auxiliary delivery techniques in the second period of natural childbirth (for example, vacuum extraction)
- Misgav Ladach method for cesarean section (sparing cesarean section), primary or secondary one
- Classic caesarean section, primary or secondary one
- Prenatal diagnostics
- First trimester screening
- Accurate ultrasound diagnostics in accordance with DEGUM II standards
- Fetal echocardiography
- Preeclampsia screening
- Fetal magnetic resonance imaging
- Chorion biopsy
- Amniocentesis (amniotic fluid test)
- Cordocentesis (umbilical cord blood sampling)
- Fetal surgery
- Feto-fetal transfusion syndrome
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Obstructive uropathy (lower urinary tract obstruction)
- Fetal therapy using umbilical cord puncture (cordocentesis)
- Implantation of port systems in the case of fetal bladder rupture and placental insufficiency
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 1984 - 1992 Medical University in Kalinin (Russia) and St. Petersburg State I.P. Pavlov Medical University, (Russia).
- 1992 Doctoral degree (with honors), St. Petersburg State I.P. Pavlov Medical University.
- 1992 - 1995 Medical specialization, Ott Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St. Petersburg State I.P. Pavlov Medical University, Russia.
- 1995 - 2002 Medical specialization, Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Hamburg, Germany.
- 25.02.2002 Medical Specialist, Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Hamburg, Germany.
- 23.11.2004 Habilitation, University Medical Center, University of Hamburg, Germany. Subject: "Ductus venosus bypass in the fetal venous circulation: regulation mechanisms, diagnostic methods and clinical importance".
- 02.02.2005 Venia legendi, Lecturer for Obstetrics and Gynecology (§17 Abs. 2 HmbHSG), University of Hamburg, Germany.
- 01.06. 2005 Medical Specialist, Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine, University of Hamburg, Germany.
- 2006 - 2011 University Professor, Head of the Department of Obstetrics at the Faculty of Medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany.
- Since 2011 University Professor, Head the Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine, Director of the Center of Fetal Surgery, elected Director of the Tertiary Perinatal Care Center at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Halle (Saale), Germany.
- 1998 - 2001 Eurofetus Program, Leuven University, Belgium.
- 2002 Loma Linda University, CA, USA.
- 2003 SFBR National Primate Center, San Antonio, TX, USA.
Scholarships and Awards
- 1990 - 1992 Lenin Scholarship at the Russian Academy of Science, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- 1995 - 1996 DAAD Scholarship, Institute of Physiology, University of Hamburg, Germany.
- 2000 Trophoblast Research-IFPA: New Investigator Award at the 14th Rochester Trophoblast Congress, New York, USA.
- 2003 Haackert Award of Perinatal Medicine, awarded at the German Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duesseldorf, Germany.
- 2003 Scientific Research at the SFBR National Primate Center, San Antonio, TX, USA.
- 2011 Nominated by the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz for a "German Research Award 2011".
- 2017 "Innovation Award Halle", Germany.
- 2017 Winner of the Hugo Junkers Award 2017 (1st place) in the category: "The most Innovative Project and Applied Research". Innovation title: "Artificial amniotic fluid and perinatal port system for the treatment of preterm membrane rupture".
16 Patents and family patents (Inventor: Prof. Dr. Michael Tschirikov).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Halle (Saale)
Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine.
University Hospital Halle (Saale):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.