University Hospital Halle (Saale)
Department of Urology (229629)
Specialized in: urology
About the Department of Urology at University Hospital Halle (Saale)
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Halle (Saale) ranks among the top medical institutions in Germany specializing in prostate cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of urinary tract diseases in men. Of particular interest are kidney transplantation, treatment of benign and malignant urologic diseases. The department has become one of the pioneers in the field of minimally invasive robot-assisted surgery (da Vinci), thanks to which it has exceptional experience in this area. In addition, the department became the second medical facility in Germany, which performed kidney transplantation using a da Vinci robotic system.
The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Paolo Fornara, a highly qualified urologist with over 35 years of successful clinical experience. In his work, the doctor pays special attention to the maximum expansion of the scope of minimally invasive surgery, in particular for cancer treatment. Prof. Paolo Fornara has served as a president of the German Society of Urology (DGU) and is also a member of the European, American, and Italian Societies of Urology. Scientific contributions to medical literature include more than 300 publications, 4 books, and 54 book chapters. In addition, during his work, the doctor had more than 900 reports and poster presentations. The doctor has received many prestigious awards, including the American Urological Association (AUA) Innovation Awards in Urology.
The department’s priority clinical focus is the treatment of cancer of the urogenital tract. The basis for the treatment of malignant tumors is an interdisciplinary approach, so each clinical case is studied at a consultation of doctors of various directions. The therapeutic possibilities in this field cover all modern options, ranging from drug treatment to open surgery, laparoscopy and robot-assisted surgery. The treatment regimen is developed individually for each patient, which guarantees the most effective and long-term result. The patients with end-stage oncopathology are offered to participate in clinical trials of new drugs, surgical techniques. Thus, the department has in its arsenal all the necessary resources to provide patients with the highest level of medical care.
The department has the Kidney Transplant Center founded in 1974. Since its inception, it has performed more than 2,000 kidney transplantations. The specialization covers kidney transplantation from both living and deceased donors. The department’s doctors have excellent competence in the field of kidney transplantation from a living donor. Kidney extraction procedures are performed laparoscopically, that is, without extensive incisions in the abdominal wall. The specialists of the department work in close cooperation with the surgeons of the University Hospital Magdeburg, which allows for combined kidney and liver transplants (in the future it is planned to expand the spectrum to combined kidney and pancreas transplantation).
As a progressive department with modern infrastructure, it offers many innovative treatment methods, for example, laser therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia, kidney stone disease, destruction of prostate cancer cells using heat and high-frequency ultrasound, implantation of stimulants and artificial systems in case of bladder dysfunction, etc.
The service range of the department includes:
|Diagnostics and treatment of malignant diseases of the urogenital tract in men|
|Diagnostics and treatment of benign diseases of the urogenital tract|
|Kidney transplantation from living and deceased donors|
|Other medical services|
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Paolo Fornara
- 1974 - 1980 Study of Medicine at the University of Padua.
- 28.02.1981 Admission to medical practice.
- 24.03.1981 Doctorate (summa cum laude).
Academic and Professional Career
- 1981 - 1984 Department of Surgery and Transplant Surgery, University of Padua.
- 1984 - 1986 Transplant Center, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 1986 - 1989 Department of Urology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 1988 Board certification in Urology.
- 1989 - 1990 Senior Physician, Department of Urology, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Grosshadern Hospital.
- 1990 - 1995 Senior Physician of the Department of Urology at the University of Lübeck.
- 1992 Board certification in Surgery.
- 1995 - 2000 Deputy Head of the Department of Urology at the University of Lübeck.
- 1997 Habilitation and PD title.
- 1999 Invitation to the position of C3 Professor of Urology, University of Lübeck.
- 2000 Invitation to the position of C4 Professor of Urology and appointment as the Head of the Department of Urology at the University Hospital Halle (Saale).
- 2001 - 2006 Deputy Medical Director of the University Hospital Halle (Saale).
- 2001 - 2004 Board Member of the German Society of Urology.
- Since 2003 Member of the Council of the Medical Faculty, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg.
- Since 2004 Member of the Board of Examiners of the Permanent Committee for Organ Transplantation of the German Medical Association.
- Since 2007 Member of the Permanent Committee for Organ Transplantation of the German Medical Association.
- Since 2013 Member of the Working Group on Living Donation Guidelines of the German Medical Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Halle (Saale)
Universitätsklinikum Halle (Saale)
Department of Urology.
University Hospital Halle (Saale):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.