University Hospital Halle (Saale)
Department of Cardiology and Angiology (229635)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology
The chief physician of the Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital of Halle (Saale) is PD Dr. Ulrich Hofmann. As the specialist in the field of internal medicine/cardiology, Dr. Ulrich Hofmann has a special qualification in such areas as chronic heart insuffiency, interventional cardiology, acute coronary syndrome.
The range of medical services of the Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital of Halle (Saale) covers all areas of maximum medical care, including interventional cardiology (e.g. treatment of acute coronary syndrome, treatment of heart valves and atrium with the use of such catheters as TAVI and Mitraclip, interventional rhythmology, including ablation, resynchronization systems) and highly specialized techniques of therapeutic intensive care (e.g. extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and subcutaneous heart support systems).
The Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital of Halle (Cardiology, Angiology, Internal Intensive Care Medicine) employs not only the chief physician PD Dr. Ulrich Hofmann, but also 4 senior surgeons and two therapists/cardiologist, who provide the whole range of interventions for structural heart diseases.
All kinds of coronary interventional techniques are available for emergency care and for the treatment of patients with acute myocardial infarction. The specialists of the Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital of Halle use a transradial access through the hand, when possible. Thus, the patient can get up right after the surgery and benefits from a small blood loss at the puncture site.
The Section of Angiology provides diagnosis and treatment of patients with all angiologic diseases.
Here are conducted the following procedures and examinations:
- All ultrasound studies for diagnosis of vessels, including contrast-enhanced ultrasound
- Determination of ankle-brachial index and tumor burden index
- Arterial oscillography
- Transcutaneous measurement of partial oxygen pressure
- Treadmill ergometry
- Venous occlusion plethysmography
- Capillary microscopy
- Determination of thickness of the intima-media complex of the carotid artery
- Measurement of reactive hyperemia and vasodilation of the brachial artery
- Assessment of dialysis fistulas
- Screening for aortic aneurysm (enlargement of the abdominal aorta)
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital of Halle (Saale) are:
- Invasive cariology
- Coronary diagnosis and interventions on the coronary vessels
- PFO closure
- ASD closure
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Intervensional closure of the arterial appendage
- Invasive electrophysiology
- Internal intensive care
- Non-invasive cardiac imaging
- Halle, Germany