University Hospital Halle (Saale)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy (289941)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric radiation therapy
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Halle (Saale) ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in radiation therapy!
The department offers all types of radiation therapy for the treatment of various oncological diseases at the highest level of university medicine. The cancer patients are treated in modern rooms equipped with the state-of-art technology. In many cases, the radiation therapy is carried out on an outpatient basis. The therapeutic options are complemented with psycho-oncological and palliative care. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Vordermark.
Radiation therapy planning is carried out in a computerized planning system, which displays the data of all linear accelerators available at the university hospital. The results of CT examinations are the basis for creating a radiation therapy program. The doctor notes the required amount of radiation on the tomogram, sets the dose, as well as the maximum permissible load on critical organs, such as lungs, kidneys and spinal cord. Then specially trained medical physicists develop an individual irradiation plan (a physical one). All therapeutic activities provided in the department comply with the requirements of the German Society of Radiation Oncology and the German Cancer Society.
The department specializes in radiation therapy for the following diseases:
- Breast cancer
- Lung cancer
- Brain tumors
- Bladder cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Head and neck tumors (cancer of the mouth, pharynx and larynx)
- Rectal and anal cancer (bowel cancer)
- Malignant systemic diseases (lymphomas and leukemias)
- Tumors in children and adolescents
- Gynecologic tumors (uterine and vaginal cancers)
- Other malignant diseases
The therapeutic range of the department includes:
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy
- Stereotactic radiation therapy/brain tumor radiosurgery
- Stereotactic radiation therapy in lung tumors
- Stereotactic radiation therapy in liver tumors
- Concurrent chemoradiation therapy
- Deep inspiration breath hold (radiation therapy technique with concurrent limitation of cardiac and lung irradiation, which is mainly used for the treatment of left‐sided breast cancer)
- Other types of radiation therapy
- 10.1990 - 09.1995 Study of Medicine at the Medical University of Lübeck.
- 10.1995 - 10.1996 Study of Medicine (one-year practice) at the University of Ulm with special courses in Goppingen (Internal Medicine), Zurich (Surgery) and Pretoria/South Africa (Radiology and Radiation Therapy).
- 12.1996 - 12.2000 Intern and Research Fellow in the Department of Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Würzburg (Head: Prof. Dr. med. M. Flentje).
- 01.2001 - 12.2001 Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Radiation Oncology and Oncobiology, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA (Head: Prof. J. M. Braun), Scholarship of the German Research Foundation.
- Since 01.2002 Continuation of work as a Research Fellow in the Department of Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Würzburg.
- 15.10.2003 Board certification in Radiation Therapy, appointment to the position of a Senior Physician.
- 08.11.2004 Doctoral thesis in Radiation Therapy and Venia legendi (PD).
- Since 2008 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy at the University Hospital Halle (Saale) and W3 Professor.
- Since 2011 Additional activities at the Medical Center (MVZ) at the University Hospital Halle (Saale).
- 2012 - 2018 Deputy Dean for Research, Faculty of Medicine.
- 2013 - 2018 Representative of the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine.
- "Bradykinin metabolism in epithelial cells of cattle trachea" (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. med. P. Dominiak, Director of the Institute of Pharmacology, Medical University of Lübeck).
- "The effect of acute and chronic hypoxia on the radiation resistance of human tumor cells: researches using HIF-1 dependent markers of endogenous hypoxia" in the specialty "Radiation Therapy" at the University of Würzburg.
- High-precision radiation therapy (radiosurgery and fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy) of brain and body tumors (lungs, liver, spine, etc.).
- Urologic oncology (intensity modulated radiation therapy, high- and low-dose brachytherapy in prostate cancer).
- Radiation therapy for lung, gastrointestinal, gynecological and skin tumors.
- Palliative radiation therapy.
- Combined chemoradiation therapy.
- Side effects, long-term effects, quality of life after radiation therapy.
- Geriatric oncology.
- Radiation oncology and oncobiology (tumor microenvironment, tumor oxygenation, markers of hypoxic radiation resistance, targeting, immuno-oncology): molecular beam biology and translational researches.
- Neuro-oncology, including high-precision radiation therapy in brain tumors.
- Pediatric radiation oncology (especially Hodgkin's lymphoma).
- Urologic oncology (especially prostate cancer), including brachytherapy.
- Gynecologic oncology.
- Palliative radiation therapy.
- Supportive therapy.
- Healthcare research in radiation oncology.
- Evidence based medicine.
Membership in Scientific Societies
- Member of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO).
- German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- German Cancer Society (DKG).
- Working Group on Radiation Oncology (ARO) of the German Cancer Society.
- Commission "Uterus" of the Working Group on Gynecology (AGO) of the German Cancer Society.
- Working Group on Neuro-Oncology (NOA) of the German Cancer Society.
- Association of Onco-Pulmonologists (POA) of the German Cancer Society.
- Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology (GPOH).
- Association of Pediatric Radiation Oncology (APRO) of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
Awards and Scholarships
- 1998 Otto Roth Prize of the Society of Friends and Sponsors of the University of Lübeck (for the thesis).
- 1998 Poster Prize of the German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO) for the poster presentation "Definitive radio- (chemo-) therapy for anal canal cancer: restoration of function and quality of life".
- 2001 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation (Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University).
- 2002 Scholarship of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO) for the training in the course "Prostate Brachytherapy".
- 2004 Hermann Holthusen Prize of the German Society for Radiation Oncology (for doctoral thesis).
- 2005 Varian Clinical Research Award of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ESTRO) for the series of works "Molecular Markers of Tumor Hypoxia".
- 2006 Poster Prize of the Hanns Langendorff Foundation in collaboration with the DEGRO Congress.
Review Activities in Medical Journals
- Editor of the Column "Medical and Radiation Oncology" in the BMC Cancer.
- Editorial Board Member of Radiotherapy & Oncology Journal.
- Editorial Board Member of the Radiation Oncology Journal.
- Editorial Board Member of the Strahlentherapie & Onkologie Journal.
Review Activities in Research Funding Organizations
- German Research Foundation.
- German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe).
- German Pediatric Cancer Foundation.
- Wilhelm Zander Foundation.
- Organisation for Health Research and Development, the Netherlands.
- Research Organization, the Netherlands.
- Swiss National Science Foundation.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Halle (Saale)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Radiation Therapy.
University Hospital Halle (Saale):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.