University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery (229491)
Specialized in: general, abdominal, thoracic surgery
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in bowel cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases of the thorax and abdomen, endocrine glands, blood vessels and morbid obesity. If possible, the preference is always given to sparing minimally invasive surgical techniques. The department performs more than 3,000 outpatient and about 2,600 inpatient interventions every year. The department has one of the largest interdisciplinary Obesity Centers, as well as one of three supraregional Centers for Pancreatic, Stomach and Esophageal Surgery. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Jakob Izbicki.
The department's interdisciplinary team consists of surgeons, nurses, physiotherapists, therapists and psychologists who make every effort to guarantee each patient the most effective treatment adapted to their individual needs. The department's specialists have unique experience in the field of operations on the pancreas (pancreatic cancer), esophagus and surgery of rare periampullary tumors. Also, the key role in the successful treatment outcome is played by close cooperation with the Departments of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Internal Medicine, Radiology and Endoscopy. Thus, the first-class medical care is ensured for the patients with concomitant diseases, such as blood clotting disorders, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes mellitus.
The department's doctors have in their arsenal many innovative treatments. Special attention should be given to the modern treatment technique for peritoneal cancer using hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC). The essence of the method is in the combination of surgical intervention with chemotherapy, which is carried out directly during the surgical procedure. This type of treatment gives positive results even in case of advanced cancer. When applying HIPEC, the medications influence on the tumor directly, which increases the treatment effectiveness. In addition, the chemotherapeutic drugs are heated to 42-43 °C, which ensures the best possible destruction of tumor cells. Thus, tumor cells, which are not visible with the naked eye during the surgery, die. In especially complex clinical cases, HIPEC has a cytoreductive effect.
The therapeutic service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of morbid obesity (within the Center of Competence for Obesity)
- Interdisciplinary multimodal therapy
- Conservative techniques (for example, the selection of proper diet, set of exercises, drug treatment)
- Surgical treatment (for example, surgical stomach reduction, gastric banding)
- Follow-up care programs for the preservation and maintenance of the result
- Diagnostics and treatment of colorectal diseases
- Bowel cancer
- Anal fistulas and fissures
- Fecal incontinence
- All types of rectal prolapse
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the liver, biliary tract and pancreas (focus on benign and malignant diseases of the liver and pancreas) within the specialized Centers of Competence
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the lungs and thoracic organs
- General thoracic surgery
- Surgical oncology (cancer of the lung, trachea, mediastinal organs, diaphragm, thoracic wall, metastases, bronchoplasty, angioplasty)
- Septic surgery
- Surgical treatment of emphysema
- Minimally invasive methods (videothoracoscopy, mediastinoscopy)
- Thymectomy in myasthenia
- Thoracic sympathectomy in hyperhidrosis
- Palliative and diagnostic interventions in metastatic tumors and malignant pleural effusions
- Diagnostic interventions in interstitial lung diseases
- Lung volume reduction surgery in chronic emphysema
- Partial pleurectomy and resection of the apex of the lungs in pneumothorax
- Plastic reconstructive surgery of the thoracic wall
- Diagnostics and treatment of thyroid and parathyroid diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of esophageal and stomach diseases (within the Center of Competence)
- Heartburn (minimally invasive, classic techniques, as well as the innovative LINX©-Reflux-Managementsystem technique)
- Malignant esophageal and stomach diseases
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in peritoneal cancer
- Formation of dialysis access for hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- Diagnostics and treatment of soft tissue tumors (sarcomas)
- Tumor resection
- Radiation therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
- 20.10.1980 Doctoral degree (graduated with honours).
- 1979 - 1980 Grant, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Pathology and Department of Surgery, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
- 1976 - 1979 Faculty of Medicine, University of Bonn.
- 1975 - 1976 Faculty of Medicine, University of Cologne.
- 1975 Faculty of Medicine, University of Bonn.
- 1976 Study of Chemistry and Geophysics at the University of Cologne, Germany.
Clinical and Scientific Background
- Since 1998 Head of the Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- Since 1994 Professor of Surgery, Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 1992 - 1998 Senior Attending Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of General Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 1991 - 1992 Deputy Director of the Project Group on Gastrointestinal Tumors of the Cancer Center Munich.
- 1991 Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Innenstadt Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1991 - 1992 Attending Surgeon, Gastrointestinal Surgery, Thoracic Surgery and Cancer Surgery, Department of Surgery, Innenstadt Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1990 Habilitation.
- 1990 Venia legendi in Surgery (PD).
- 1989 - 1990 Instructor in Surgery (Gastrointestinal Surgery, Thoracic Surgery and Cancer Surgery), Department of Surgery, Innenstadt Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1987 Board certification in Surgery, Bavarian Medical Association.
- 1986 - 1989 Senior Resident and Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Surgery, Innenstadt Hospital, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1982 - 1986 Resident and Postdoctoral Fellow, Gastrointestinal Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Cologne.
- 13.05.1982 Graduation thesis, University of Bonn (with honors).
- 1981 - 1982 Resident, Department of Abdominal and Transplant Surgery and Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hannover Medical School.
Awards and Honors
- 1991 Johann Nepomuk von Nussbaum Prize of the Association of Bavarian Surgeons.
- 1994 G. E. Konjetzny Prize of the Hamburg Cancer Society.
- 1995 Walter Brendel Prize of the European Society for Surgical Research.
- 1995 Oncology Award of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association.
- 1995 Otto Goetze Prize of the Association of Bavarian Surgeons.
- 1995 Publication Prize of the German Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- 1996 G. E. Konjetzny Prize of the Hamburg Cancer Society.
- 1997 Prize of the European Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- 1998 Walter Schulz Foundation Award.
- 1998 Prize of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association.
- 1998 Award for Clinical Science of the European Pancreatic Club.
- K. H. Bauer Prize of the German Society of Surgery.
- 2001 Brompton Prize of the European Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- 2002 Poster Prize of the Surgical Society of Northwest Germany.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Surgery.
- American Gastroenterological Association.
- International Society for Digestive Surgery.
- International Association of Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Surgery.
- Surgical Society of Northwest Germany.
- German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases.
- German Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- International Society of Surgery.
- International Society of Surgery.
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract.
- European Digestive Surgery.
- European Surgical Association.
- American College of Surgeons.
Department of General, Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home