University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Dermatology and Venereology (229495)
Stefan W. Schneider
Specialized in: dermatology, venereology
About the Department of Dermatology and Venereology at University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
The Department of Dermatology and Venereology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the broadest options for the diagnostics and treatment of all skin diseases and sexually transmitted diseases. Of particular interest is the treatment of patients with skin tumors, chronic wounds, phlebological disorders, autoimmune pathologies and chronic inflammatory skin diseases, such as eczema, psoriasis, neurodermatitis. In addition, the service spectrum covers the comprehensive diagnostics and treatment of allergic diseases, the most modern treatment methods in the field of aesthetic dermatology. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Stefan W. Schneider.
The doctors of the department spend a lot of time advising patients on all possible issues in the field of dermatology and venereology. For example, they hold consultations on chronic wounds, aesthetic dermatology (scar revision, wrinkle treatment using botulinum toxin and fillers), surgical treatment of skin tumors and lower extremity ulcers, as well as consultations on andrology for men suffering from infertility.
The department annually performs about 2,500 surgical procedures, treats about 7,000 inpatients and more than 23,000 outpatients. Such high numbers testify to the outstanding quality of medical services and high competence of the the department’s physicians.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of dermatoses
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergies
- Hay fever
- Insect venom allergy
- Food allergy
- Drug allergy
- Contact allergy
- Occupational dermatoses
- Rare forms of hereditary angioedema
- Diagnostics and treatment of infertility in men (andrology)
- Aesthetic dermatology
- Wrinkle treatment (using hyaluronic acid, botulinum toxin, fillers, etc.)
- Hyperhidrosis (increased sweating) treatment using botulinum toxin A
- Hyperhidrosis (increased sweating) treatment using sweat gland curettage
- Scar revision, including deep scars (for example, using hyaluronic acid injections)
- Consultations on skin care, the use of sunscreens and cosmetics
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic immunodermatoses
- Bullous autoimmune dermatoses (for example, bullous pemphigoid, pemphigus vulgaris)
- Systemic scleroderma
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Mixed connective tissue diseases
- Sjögren syndrome
- Rheumatic diseases with skin lesions
- Various forms of vasculitis
- Serological autoimmune diagnostics
- Skin biopsy (including direct immunofluorescence)
- Photodermatological tests
- Local use of ointments
- Systemic therapy using tableted drugs or infusion drugs
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin tumors
- Malignant melanoma
- Epithelial tumors (basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma)
- Skin lymphoma
- Rare skin tumors (or example, Merkel cell carcinoma)
- Surgical treatment and postoperative care
- Laser therapy
- Tumor removal
- Scarless tattoo removal
- Unwanted body hair removal
- Red vascular nevus removal
- Diagnostics and treatment of primary cutaneous lymphoma
- Diagnostics and treatment of atopic eczema (within the specialized outpatient clinic)
- Comprehensive diagnostics of atopic eczema, including microbiological skin smears, blood tests, all types of skin and provocative tests
- Different types of local therapy
- Systemic therapy using tablet preparations
- Therapy using immunomodulatory drugs, including monitoring the therapy effectiveness
- Specialized consultations
- Dermatologic surgery
- Acne scar polishing
- Sentinel lymph node removal
- Sweat gland curettage, including liposuction
- Phlebological interventions
- Treatment of various dermatoses using UVA, UVB, UVB 311nm, UVA-1
- Cold light therapy
- Balneotherapy (PUVA bath, shower)
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic wounds
- Vascular diagnostics (venous and arterial)
- Autoimmune diagnostics, skin biopsy, microbiological diagnostics
- Classical therapy for chronic wounds
- Systemic therapy of chronic wounds due to the immunological disorders
- Innovative therapy methods
- Vacuum therapy
- wIRA (infrared filter A treatment with water filtration)
- Surgery and sclerotherapy for varicose veins
- Wound sanitation
- Skin grafting
- Keratinocyte transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Other diseases, other diagnostic and therapeutic methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Stefan W. Schneider
- 11.1987 - 05.1994 Faculty of Medicine, University of Würzburg.
- 11.1989 - 02.1994 Doctoral thesis on Physiology, University of Würzburg.
- 05.1994 Admission to medical practice, University of Würzburg.
- 07.1994 Doctoral degree (Summa cum Laude).
- 1994 Doctoral thesis on Physiology, University of Würzburg, Germany.
- 2001 Habilitation on Physiology, University of Muenster, Germany.
- 08.1994 - 07.1996 Scholarship of the German Research Foundation at the Department of Physiology at the University of Würzburg, Department of Surgery and Cellular Physiology, Yale University, USA.
- 08.1996 - 09.1997 Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 08.1997 - 09.1997 Scholarship (Anniversary Award of the University of Würzburg), Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University, USA.
- 10.1997 - 06.2002 Department of Physiology, University of Muenster.
- 11.1997 Admission to medical practice.
- Since 11.2000 Head of the Working Group "Cell dynamics".
- 07.2001 Habilitation (Venia legendi in Physiology).
- 03.2002 Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Muenster.
- 08.2002 Specialization in Physiology.
- Since 2005 Development aid in Cambodia (regularly in Phnom Penh).
- 04.2006 Specialization in Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology.
- 06.2006 Senior Research Leader, Department of Dermatology, University of Muenster.
- 06.2006 3rd place in the list of W3 Professors of Physiology, University of Ulm.
- 06.2007 Extraordinary Professor.
- 09.2008 Specialization in Phlebology.
- 12.2008 Full W3 Professor, "Cellular Differentiation", University of Mannheim.
- 11.2011 Certificate "Good clinical practice".
- 12.2008 - 09.2016 Head of the Section of Experimental Dermatology and Deputy Head of the Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Allergology.
- Since 10.2016 Head of the Department of Dermatology and Venereology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Prizes and Honors
- 05.1995 Franconian Science Prize in Human Medicine.
- 03.1999 Bennigsen Foerder Award.
- 04.2005 Oskar Gans Award in Dermatology.
- 10.2007 Award for "innovative medical technology" of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Dermatology and Venereology.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.