University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Gynecology and Mammology (229499)
Specialized in: gynecology, mammology
About the Department of Gynecology and Mammology at University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in breast cancer treatment!
The department offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in its areas of specialization. Due to its successful clinical activities, the department has the status of a supraregional Competence Center for Surgical and Conservative Gynecologic Oncology, as well as of the leading Breast Cancer Center. All therapeutic measures meet the modern standards of both national and international specialized societies. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Barbara Schmalfeldt.
The department's competent team of doctors and nurses provides treatment of all gynecologic diseases at the highest level of university medicine. The treatment is provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. If surgical treatment is necessary, the preference is always given to organ-sparing and minimally invasive interventions. The department also has an advanced robotic da Vinci surgical system. The department's surgeons annually perform about 1,300 inpatient and more than 1,150 outpatient interventions.
The department's therapeutic options include the treatment of all female genital diseases, including pathological changes in the mammary glands, hemorrhages (also in uterine myomas), diseases of the uterus, ovaries, external genital organs, pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence.
The department has unique experience and qualifications in the field of gynecologic oncopathologies. The department's doctors managed to achieve the most outstanding results in the field of ovarian and breast cancer treatment. The interdisciplinary consultations serve to develop an optimal treatment regimen for each patient and adapt it to the specific clinical indications. An integral part of cancer therapy is psycho-oncological care.
Breast cancer treatment is carried out in strict accordance with the guidelines of the German Cancer Society and the German Society of Senology. The department's doctors have many effective treatment methods for this pathology, including organ-sparing operations. In especially difficult and neglected cases, when it is not possible to preserve the patient’s own breast, the doctors offer reconstructive plastic surgery (breast reconstruction using implants, nipple reconstruction, etc.). Breast reconstruction can be carried out directly during the tumor removal or in the form of the subsequent secondary intervention.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant diseases of the external genital organs in women, ovarian, uterine and cervical cancers
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood clotting disorders and benign uterine neoplasms (myomas)
- Diagnostics and treatment of urogynecologic problems
- Pelvic prolapse
- Urinary incontinence
- Diagnostics and treatment of hormonal disorders due to the gynecologic problems
- Menstrual disorders
- Diagnostics, conservative and surgical treatment of endometriosis
- Therapy within the clinical trials
- Minimally invasive surgery (da Vinci)
- Organ-sparing breast interventions
- Oncoplastic breast surgery
- Removal of the mammary glands with their immediate reconstruction
- Secondary breast reconstruction
- All types of reconstructive surgery using implants
- Preventive removal of the mammary gland with its immediate reconstruction in hereditary breast cancer
- Breast reduction
- Second opinion in difficult clinical cases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases of the female genital organs, breast cancer
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Barbara Schmalfeldt
- 1984 - 1986 Study of Human Medicine, Preclinical Training, University of Regensburg.
- 1986 - 1991 Study of Human Medicine, Clinical Training, Technical University of Munich.
Academic and Professional Background
- 06.1991 - 12.1991 Intern, Department of Internal Medicine I, Technical University of Munich.
- 1992 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, Technical University of Munich. Subject: "Pressure parameters in the right and left heart during tachyarrhythmias".
- 01.1992 - 04.1997 Preparation for board certification, Department of Gynecology, Technical University of Munich.
- 1997 Board certification in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 1997 - 2001 Senior Physician, Department of Gynecology, Technical University of Munich.
- 2000 Habilitation and Venia legendi in Gynecology and Obstetrics, Technical University of Munich. Subject: "Factors contributing to invasion and proliferation in progression of the malignant ovarian tumors".
- 2003 - 2015 C3 Professor (lifelong) in Gynecologic Oncology, Technical University of Munich.
- 2001 - 2015 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Gynecology at the Technical University of Munich.
- 2009 - 2015 Head of the Center for Gynecologic Oncology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 2013 - 2015 Executive Director of the Roman-Herzog Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- Since July 2015 Head of the Department of Gynecology and Mammology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2001 Optional advanced training in Special Surgical Gynecology.
- 2002 Optional advanced training in Special Obstetric Services and Prenatal Medicine.
- 2007 Specialization in Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2012 Qualifications for Specialized Genetic Counseling.
- 2012 Certification in Minimally Invasive Surgery of the Working Group on Gynecologic Endoscopy.
- Conservative and surgical treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the uterus, ovaries, vulva and breast.
- Minimally invasive surgery.
- Gynecologic oncology.
- Hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
- Phase III researches for the development of new drugs in the field of gynecologic oncology and breast cancer.
- Identification of biomarkers for the targeted therapy in gynecologic cancer.
Positions in Scientific Societies
- 2001 - 2015 Leader of the Project Group "Malignant Ovarian Tumors" in the Comprehensive Cancer Center Munich.
- 2003 - 2008 Press Secretary and Commission Board Member (Kommission Ovar) of the Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology.
- Since 2012 Deputy Chairman of the Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society for Obstetrics And Gynecology.
- German Cancer Society.
- Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology.
- American Association for Cancer Research.
- Professional Association of Gynecologists.
- Project Group on Breast Cancer of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Munich.
- Project Group on Uterine Diseases of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Munich.
- Project Group on Ovarian Malignancies of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Munich.
Scholarships and Awards
- 1987 - 1991 Scholarship of the Student Foundation of the German People.
- 1996 Scientific Prize of the Bavarian Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- 10.2009 Award of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Munich.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Gynecology and Mammology.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.