University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine (229501)
Specialized in: obstetrics, prenatal medicine
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine at the University Hospital Hamburg ranks among the top Germany medical facilities specializing in the provision of obstetric services!
The department offers comprehensive management of pregnancy, safe childbirth and high-quality postpartum care both for mother and baby. The department is the Level I Perinatal Center, which indicates the credibility of the medical facility. A special focus is on the management of high-risk pregnancy and individualized analysis of prenatal risks. For many years, the department has been maintaining its leading position in the field of its competence and taking care of the safe childbirth. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Kurt Hecher.
More than 3,000 children are born every year in the department’s five ultramodern delivery rooms. The great advantage is an excellent technical base, which allows the doctors to effectively detect and treat many pathologies in children at the stage of prenatal development. The specialization also covers intrauterine interventions, for example, laser manipulations in pathological bigeminal pregnancy.
The department's clinical activities are closely intertwined with such fields as neonatology, anesthesiology, pediatric cardiology, pediatric surgery, infectology and human genetics. Thus, it is possible to guarantee optimal medical care, which meets international standards.
The service range of the department includes:
- Prenatal medicine
- Comprehensive management of pregnancy
- Management of high risk pregnancies
- Management of multiple pregnancies
- Management of pregnancy in women with concomitant diseases (for example, in congenital or acquired heart defects, organ transplantation)
- Medical care in intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR)
- Laser interventions in the womb in bigeminal pregnancy (if monozygotic twins have common placenta)
- Umbilical cord blood transfusion
- Prenatal diagnostics in accordance with the requirements of the German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine and the Fetal Medicine Foundation
- Classic ultrasound screening of fetal development
- First trimester screening
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Ultrasound examinations (to exclude malformations)
- Fetal magnetic resonance imaging
- Natural childbirth
- Caesarean section
- Postpartum care both for mother and baby
- Acupuncture as a pain therapy
- Other medical services
Qualifications and Accreditations
- 1980 Doctor of Medicine, University of Graz, Austria.
- 1984 General Practitioner, General Medical Council, Austria.
- 1990 Medical Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynecology, General Medical Council, Austria.
- 1996 PhD thesis in Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vienna, Austria.
- 1997 Medical Specialist in Perinatal Medicine, General Medical Council, Germany.
- 2003 Professor in Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine, University of Hamburg, Germany.
- 1981 - 1983 Resident in Internal Medicine, General Hospital Klagenfurt, Austria.
- 1984 - 1991 Resident in Obstetrics and Gynecology, General Hospital Klagenfurt.
- 1992 - 1993 Research Fellow, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Harris Birthright Research Centre for Fetal Medicine, King’s College, University of London.
- 1994 Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Klagenfurt.
- 1994 - 2003 Consultant in Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine, Deputy Head, Department of Prenatal Diagnostics and Therapy, Barmbek Hospital, Hamburg, Germany.
- Since 2004 Professor and Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Awards and Other Professional Activities
- 1992 Erwin Schroedinger Fellowship, Austrian Science Foundation.
- 1992 Honorary Lecturer in Obstetrics and Gynecology, King’s College School of Medicine, University of London.
- 1999 Werner Otto Foundation Award for Clinical Research.
- 2000 Hans Geisenhofer Foundation Research Award, Bavarian Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- 2008 Haackert Foundation, Gold Medal Award for Prenatal Medicine.
- International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Department of Obstetrics and Prenatal Medicine.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home