University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (229507)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the full range of services for the diagnostics and treatment of various diseases in newborns, infants, young children and adolescents. A distinctive feature of the department is the unique competence in the treatment of extremely rare and complex pathologies in young patients. The department treats more than 17,000 outpatients and about 4,600 inpatients every year. In addition, the department operates a day hospital (about 1,000 patients annually). The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Ania Muntau.
All doctors and nursing staff in the department get along well with children and try to establish a trusting relationship with a young patient. The department is deservedly proud of its state-of-the-art technical base and excellent infrastructure with playrooms for children.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of degenerative diseases of the brain/dementia in children
- Neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis
- Degenerative brain diseases of unknown origin
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, including liver transplantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of immunodeficiencies (primary and secondary) and infectious diseases, including rare ones
- Diagnostics and treatment of tropical diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune diseases and syndromes
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired diseases of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nervous system and muscles (neuropediatrics)
- Epilepsy (drug therapy, vagus nerve stimulation, ketogenic diet, etc.)
- Muscle diseases (certification of the German Muscular Dystrophy Association)
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract
- Chronic kidney failure and renal replacement therapy (peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, kidney transplantation)
- Acute kidney failure (including procedures for hemofiltration and plasmapheresis)
- Congenital and acquired glomerulopathies and tubulopathies
- Psychological and nutritional counseling
- Diagnostics within the specialized laboratory
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic lung and respiratory diseases
- Lesions of the lungs in rheumatic, oncological, neurological or metabolic disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of all types of allergic diseases (hay fever, asthma, insect venom allergy), including hyposensitization therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of various rheumatological diseases
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Reactive arthritis
- Inflammatory rheumatic systemic diseases (for example, vasculitis, collagenoses, dermatomyositis)
- Periodic fever syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital metabolic disorders
- Phenylketonuria and other amino acid metabolism disorders
- Urea metabolism disorders
- Peroxisomal disorders
- Lipid metabolism disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of lysosomal storage diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases in children and adolescents
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Ania Muntau
Academic and Professional Сareer
- Since 2014 Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- 2010 - 2014 Head of the Department of Congenital Metabolic Disorders, Dr. von Hauner Children's Hospital, University of Munich, Munich.
- 2007 - 2014 Project Manager (LMU Excellence Initiative).
- 2006 - 2014 (W2) Professor in Pediatrics.
- 2004 - 2014 Head of the Department of Pediatrics, Dr. von Hauner Children's Hospital, University of Munich, Munich, as well as Project Manager of the Bavarian Genome Research Network.
- 2001 - 2004 Postdoctoral Fellow, Dr. von Hauner Children's Hospital, University of Munich, Munich.
- 2000 - 2001 Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Physiological Chemistry, Ruhr University in Bochum.
- Since 2000 Board certification in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 1997 - 2004 Training in Biochemical Genetics and Molecular Biology.
- 1990 - 2000 Training for board certification in Pediatrics.
- 1984 - 1990 Study of Human Medicine at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Awards and Honorary Memberships
- Since 2015 Member of the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- 2012 Therese von Bayern Award.
- 2008 Honorary Mention, Nature Awards for Mentoring and Science.
- 2004 Adelbert Czerny Prize for Outstanding Researches in Pediatrics.
- 2001 - 2005 Research Scholarship of the German Research Foundation.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Congenital Metabolic Disorder Association.
- American Society of Human Genetics.
- German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- Working Group on Metabolic Disorders in Children.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.