University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (229509)
Specialized in: pediatric hematology, oncology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers all the options of modern diagnostics and therapy for children and adolescents with malignant diseases (leukemia and solid tumors), blood diseases and bleeding disorders. It is one of the largest medical facilities of this kind in Germany in this field and the only one of this kind in Hamburg. The treatment is provided in accordance with the recommendations of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Haematology with the engagement of the necessary specialists from all related medical fields. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Rutkowski.
The department's doctors have enormous and successful experience in the treatment of leukemia, brain and bone tumors, as well as other solid tumors. In addition, the doctors have excellent qualifications in the field of blood stem cell and bone marrow transplantation in leukemia, solid tumors, blood diseases, immunodeficiencies and metabolic disorders. Another focus of the department’s work is the treatment of congenital immunodeficiencies and blood clotting disorder, such as hemophilia and von Willebrand disease in children and adolescents.
The department annually treats more than 10,000 small patients on an outpatient basis. Also, the department's doctors annually perform 40 bone marrow and stem cell transplantations. An important component of the oncopathology treatment is the psychological care.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of solid tumors, malignant blood diseases
- Radiation therapy
- Maintenance therapy (for example, blood transfusions, antibiotic therapy)
- Diagnostic examinations (bone marrow biopsy, lumbar puncture)
- Functional diagnostics
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired hematopoietic defects
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired blood clotting disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of immunodeficiencies
- Diagnostics and treatment of malignant systemic diseases
- Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation
- Palliative care
- Psychosocial care
- Other medical services
- 10.1988 - 04.1995 Study of Human Medicine, University of Bonn.
- 12.06.1995 Medical Examination.
- 06.1996 Doctoral thesis, University of Frankfurt. Subject: "Cytokines in umbilical cord blood of mature newborns and premature babies during normal pregnancy and under the influence of perinatal stress and infections".
- 07.1995 - 08.2002 Intern and Research Fellow, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 09.2002 - 03.2005 Acting Head of the Department, Department of Oncology with the focus on Neuro-Oncology, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 12.2003 Board certification in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 04.2005 - 02.2009 Senior Physician, Department of Oncology and Hematology, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 06.2005 Philip Kind Prize for the Best Scientific Work in Pediatric Oncology in German-speaking countries (in collaboration with Prof. J. Kühl).
- 01.2007 Habilitation and Venia legendi, Faculty of Medicine, University of Würzburg.
- 04.2007 Venia legendi in Pediatrics, University of Würzburg.
- 02.2008 Specialization in Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
- 03.2009 - 09.2015 W2 Professor in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, as well as Deputy Head of the Department.
- Since 10.2015, Head of the Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- Since 11.2002 Elected Head of the HIT-MED Research Group of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
- Since 03.2006 Representative of the HIT Medical Network (Working Group on Pediatric Neuro-Oncology and All Researches of Brain Tumors of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology).
- 01.2007 - 06.2012 Chairman of the European PNET Working Group of the European Society of Pediatric Oncology, the Researches of Medulloblastoma and Primitive Neuroectodermal Tumors.
- 11.2009 - 12.2015 Board Member of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
- 09.2011 Adam Balinski Academy Award, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada.
- 03.2012 Scientific Director at the Сonference of HIT Medical Network within the Comprehensive Cancer Centre Hamburg.
- 09.2012 -12.2015 First Deputy Chairman of the Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
- Since 04.2014. Member of the Ethics Committee of the Medical Association Hamburg.
- Since 06.2014 Research Director, Multicenter Research SIOP PNET5-MB (sponsored by the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf).
- Since 06.2014 Chairman of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Committee, European Section of the International Society of Pediatric Oncology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
- German Cancer Society.
- International Society of Pediatric Oncology.
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home