University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Neurology (229511)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease!
The department offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nervous and muscular systems. The specialization covers the treatment of stroke, cerebrovascular diseases, movement disorders, such as Parkinson's disease, muscular diseases, inflammatory diseases of the nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis. In addition, the competence includes intensive neurological care. The Chief Physician is Prof. Dr. med. Christian Gerloff.
The department treats more than 3,800 inpatients and about 7,000 outpatients every year. The certified Stroke Unit of the department annually treats more than 1,500 patients with strokes of varying severity. Such high rates indicate the highest quality of medical care and respectability of the department.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of strokes (certified Stroke Unit), neurosonography
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory diseases of the nervous system
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders, including deep brain stimulation
- Parkinson's disease
- Restless legs syndrome
- Tic disorders
- Hemifacial spasm
- Diagnostics and treatment of muscular and neuromuscular diseases
- Myasthenia gravis
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Neurorehabilitation, including early rehabilitation
- Neurological intensive care, including neurotraumatology and neuromonitoring
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious diseases, including HIV-related infections and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of dementia (for example, vascular dementia, hydrocephalus in normal intracranial pressure, Alzheimer's disease)
- Diagnostics and treatment of genetically determined neurological diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of pain syndromes, including neuropathic ones
- Interventional neuroradiology (in collaboration with the Department of Neuroradiology)
- Balloon dilatation
- Stent implantation
- Diagnostics and treatment of other neurological diseases
Education and Professional Background
- 1984 - 1991 Medical School, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg, University of Vienna, externships in Great Britain and the USA.
- 1992 - 1995 and 1996 - 1998 Residency in the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 2000 Board certification in Neurology.
- 2000 Habilitation in Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology.
- 2000 - 2006 Senior Attending Physician in the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Tuebingen, Head of EEG Laboratory (DGKN certified instructor) and Sleep Laboratory.
- 2004 - 2006 Head of the Stroke Unit, Head of Neurosonological Laboratory.
- 2005 - 2006 Deputy Head and Extraordinary Professor, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- Since April 2006 Head of the Department of Neurology and Full Professor of Neurology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
Awards and Honors
- Award for Doctoral Thesis Defense.
- Goedecke Research Award.
- Teaching Award in the Students’ Program of the Howard-Hughes Medical Association at the National Institutes of Health, USA.
- Scientific Paper Award of the European Neurological Society.
- Teacher of the Year Award (Hamburg University).
- German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Dt. Volkes).
- German Association for Clinical Neurophysiology and Functional Imaging (DGKN).
- German Association for Neurology (DGN).
- German Association for Sleep Medicine (DGSM).
- German Stroke Association (DSG).
- German Association for Neurological Intensive Care (DGNI).
- Professional Association of German Neurologists (BDN).
- External Quality Management of Stroke Care (EQS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.