University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Neurology (229511)
Specialized in: neurology
The Department of Neurology at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf deals with the treatment of the entire spectrum of neurological diseases. the Department is highly competent in the treatment and study of vascular diseases, such as stroke. The Department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Gerloff, specialist in neurology. The certified Stroke Unit, the largest supraregional Stoke Unit in Hamburg, and involvement in the program “Hamburg against the stroke” ensure the best treatment for stroke patients.
Moreover, the Department of Neurology under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Christian Gerloff provides the best possible treatment of multiple sclerosis. Another treatment focus is on movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease. The specialized medical teams of the Neurological Intensive Care Unit at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf take care of an optimal treatment for patients with the most severe diseases.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Neurology at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease!
The main clinical focuses of the Department of Neurology at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf are:
- Stroke treatment (the certified Stroke Unit), vasopathy, neurosonography
- Multiple sclerosis
- Inflammatory diseases of the nervous system
- Movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, spasticity, deep brain stimulation, tremor, restless leg syndrome, tic, myoclonus, chorea, stereotypes, hemifacial spasm)
- Muscular (myopathy) and neuromuscular diseases (e.g. myasthenia gravis); polyneuropathies, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Neurorehabilitation; especially “forced-use therapy”
- Neurological early rehabilitation
- Neurological intensive medicine with neurotraumatology and neuromonitoring
- Infectious diseases, including HIV related infections and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
- Dementias (e.g. vascular dementia, normal pressure hydrocephalus, Alzheimer’s disease)
- Genetically induced diseases
- Analgesic treatment, neuropathic pains
- Interventional neuroradiology (balloon dilatation/stenting, coil embolization) in cooperation with the Department of Neuroradiology (Prof. Dr. J. Fiehler)
- Hamburg, Germany