University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Neurology (229511)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
The Department of Neurology at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf deals with the treatment of the entire spectrum of neurological diseases. the Department is highly competent in the treatment and study of vascular diseases, such as stroke. The Department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian Gerloff, specialist in neurology. The certified Stroke Unit, the largest supraregional Stoke Unit in Hamburg, and involvement in the program “Hamburg against the stroke” ensure the best treatment for stroke patients.
Moreover, the Department of Neurology under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Christian Gerloff provides the best possible treatment of multiple sclerosis. Another treatment focus is on movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease. The specialized medical teams of the Neurological Intensive Care Unit at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf take care of an optimal treatment for patients with the most severe diseases.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Neurology at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease!
The main clinical focuses of the Department of Neurology at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf are:
- Stroke treatment (the certified Stroke Unit), vasopathy, neurosonography
- Multiple sclerosis
- Inflammatory diseases of the nervous system
- Movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, spasticity, deep brain stimulation, tremor, restless leg syndrome, tic, myoclonus, chorea, stereotypes, hemifacial spasm)
- Muscular (myopathy) and neuromuscular diseases (e.g. myasthenia gravis); polyneuropathies, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Neurorehabilitation; especially “forced-use therapy”
- Neurological early rehabilitation
- Neurological intensive medicine with neurotraumatology and neuromonitoring
- Infectious diseases, including HIV related infections and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
- Dementias (e.g. vascular dementia, normal pressure hydrocephalus, Alzheimer’s disease)
- Genetically induced diseases
- Analgesic treatment, neuropathic pains
- Interventional neuroradiology (balloon dilatation/stenting, coil embolization) in cooperation with the Department of Neuroradiology (Prof. Dr. J. Fiehler)
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- 1984 - 1991 Medical school (Albert-Ludwigs-Universität, Freiburg; Universität Wien, Österreich); externships in Great Britain and the U.S.A.
- 1992 - 1995 and 1996 - 1998 Residency at the Dept. of Neurology, University Hospital Tübingen (medical director: Prof. Dr. Dichgans)
- 2000 Board certification for neurology
- 2000 Habilitation (Ph.D. thesis) for neurology and clinical neurophysiology
- 2000 - 2006 Senior attending at the Dept. of Neurology, University Hospital Tübingen, Head of EEG laboratory (DGKN-certified instructor) and sleep laboratory
- 2004 - 2006 Head of Stroke Unit, DRG consultant, head of neurosonological laboratory
- 2005 - 2006 Deputy director and professor (APL) at the Dept. of Neurology, University Hospital Tübingen (medical director: Prof. Dr. M. Weller)
- Since April 2006 Director of the Dept. of Neurology and full professor of Neurology, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf; director of the Head and Neurocenter
German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Dt. Volkes), German association for clinical neurophysiology and functional imaging (DGKN), German association for neurology (DGN), German association for sleep medicine (DGSM), German academy association (DHV), German stroke association (DSG), German association for neurological intensive care medicine (DGNI), Professional association of german neurologists (BDN), EQS (external quality management of stroke care)
- 1987 - 1991 M.D. thesis on stereotactic transplantation and plasticity of fetal brain tissue in rats, Department of Neuropathology of the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg (Prof. Dr. Volk)
- 1992 - 2006 Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen and NIH, U.S.A.; research focus „Physiology, pathophysiology und plasticity of neocortical functions in the human brain“; model system „sensorimotor“; methodology „Multimodal integration of EEG, magnetic stimulation and functional imaging (PET/fMRI)“
- 1995 - 1996 Postdoctoral fellowship of the DFG at the National Institutes of Health, NINDS, MNB, HMCS, Bethesda, U.S.A. (Mark Hallett, M.D.)
- Sept. 1996 Visiting Scientist in Kyoto, Japan, Department of Brain Pathophysiology (Prof. Dr. Shibasaki; MEG project)
- 1996 - 1997 Employment at the NIH as Visiting Associate und head of the EEG research laboratory of the Human Motor Control Section (Mark Hallett, M.D.)
- April 1998 Visiting Scientist in Bethesda, U.S.A., National Institutes of Health, NINDS, MNB, HMCS (Mark Hallett, M.D.; stroke project)
- 1998 - 2006 Head of the cortical physiology research group (CPRG) at the department of neurology and Hertie institute for clinical brain research (medical directors Prof. Dr. Dichgans, since 2006 Prof. Dr. Weller)
- June 2003 Visiting Scientist in Bethesda, U.S.A., National Institutes of Health, NINDS, MNB, HCPS (Leonardo G. Cohen, M.D.; Project on coherence and cortical excitability/plasticity)
- Since April 2006 Brain imaging and neurostimulation (BINS) laboratory in Hamburg; methodological focus: Neurostimulation, multimodal brain imaging; scientific focus: stroke, neuroplasticity, motor control
AWARDS IN NEUROSCIENCE AND TEACHINGS
Several awards, for example, M.D. thesis summa cum laude, Goedecke research award, Teaching award in the students’ program of the Howard-Hughes Medical Association at the National Institutes of Health, U.S.A., Career award of the CNS and Hannelore-Kohl foundation, Scientific Paper Award of the European Neurological Society (ENS), Teacher of the year award (Hamburg university)
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home