University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (229521)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric oral, maxillofacial surgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the full range of medical services in these fields. Of particular interest is the treatment of benign and malignant neoplasms of the facial skin, salivary glands, as well as oral cavity and skull bone tumors. In case of malignant diseases, a treatment strategy is developed with the participation of specialists from all necessary areas within the University Cancer Center Hamburg. The department's tasks also include the treatment of children and adolescents with maxillofacial diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Martin Gosau.
To achieve an optimal result of surgical treatment, the department’s doctors have in their arsenal the most modern intraoperative tools, such as navigation systems and three-dimensional imaging devices. Important attention is also paid to ensuring the best possible safety. The tissue defects resulting from the surgical intervention are often repaired during the same operation using microsurgical transplants. The subsequent adjuvant therapy (radiation therapy, chemotherapy, etc.) is prescribed and planned individually, depending on the specific clinical situation.
Another key focus of the department’s work is the treatment facial skull and soft tissue injuries. To this end, the department offers the most advanced osteosynthesis procedures, including individual three-dimensional composite titanium plates and meshes. Also, the physicians of the department specialize in the correction of abnormal bite (dysgnathia), cleft lip and palate in children. When performing any surgical intervention, the surgeons not only guarantee the patient the best functional result, but also take into account the aesthetic aspect.
It should be noted that the department’s experts have excellent qualifications in the treatment of diseases of the oral mucosa, bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw and cluster headache. In addition, the spectrum covers all modern procedures of dental surgery and dental implantology.
The department has at its disposal one inpatient and two outpatient operating rooms. All operating rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art technology in accordance with the requirements of professional societies. The surgeons of the department annually perform more than 5,000 operations, which testifies to the credibility of the medical institution and the huge clinical experience of doctors.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of maxillofacial diseases
- Basal cell cancer
- Salivary gland tumors
- Removal of the lymph nodes in the face, cheeks, lips, mouth, upper and lower jaw, skull base
- Removal of metastases in the head and neck
- Reconstructive surgery (focus on defect repair through microsurgical tissue transplantation)
- Conservative and surgical treatment of injuries to bones and soft tissues of the face and skull
- Teeth injuries
- Nose bone fractures
- Lower jaw fractures
- Midface fractures
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory maxillofacial diseases
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw
- Lymph node inflammation
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurofibromatosis
- Correction of cleft lip and palate in children
- Correction of congenital deformities in Crouzon syndrome, Apert syndrome, Franceschetti syndrome and other syndromes
- Diagnostics and treatment of hemangiomas, genetic diseases in children and adolescents
- Diagnostics and treatment of craniosynostosis
- Correction of vascular malformations of the face and mouth
- Treatment of temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Conservative and surgical treatment of diseases of the temporomandibular joint
- Dysgnathia (abnormal bite) correction
- Dentoalveolar and periodontal surgery
- Oral mucosal diseases
- Jaw cysts
- Radicular cysts
- Follicular cysts
- Odontogenic tumors
- Keratocystic odontogenic tumor
- Oral mucosal diseases
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Martin Gosau
After completing his studies in the field of Human Medicine and Dentistry in Würzburg and Munich, Prof. Gosau underwent board certification at the University Hospital Munich. From 2008 to 2013, he worked as a Senior Physician and then as a Deputy Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Regensburg. Then Prof. Gosau headed the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Trauma Clinic Murnau. This was followed by the position of the Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Clinic Nuremberg.
Dr. Gosau's research interests include biomaterials and the development of antibacterial coatings, as well as bone tissue repair using dental stem cells. The main clinical focuses cover the treatment of cleft lip, jaw, palate, improper jaw position (dysgnathia), head and neck tumors using primary microvascular reconstructions, even in case of extensive local tumors.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.