University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Vascular Surgery (289947)
Eike Sebastian Debus
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers all the modern options for the diagnostics and treatment of vascular diseases. The activities of the department are based on an integrated approach to the treatment, therefore, the experts in the field of vascular surgery, interventional treatment and conservative therapy work hand in hand here. An important role in the department's clinical practice plays the use of sparing minimally invasive techniques. The department annually serves about 4,000 outpatients and more than 1,500 inpatients. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Eike Sebastian Debus.
Of particular interest to department's physicians is the treatment of carotid artery stenosis, aortic aneurysms, peripheral arterial occlusive disease, varicose veins, thromboses and vascular malformations. In addition, the scope of competence covers the treatment of chronic wounds and wound healing disorders (within a specialized center), rare diseases, such as compression syndromes or malignant vascular tumors.
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- Color duplex sonography of the entire vascular system
- Treadmill ergometer
- Percutaneous measurement of oxygen partial pressure
- Capillary microscopy
- Conservative therapy (drug treatment, modification of the risks of development of vascular disease)
- Catheter interventional therapy (stent implantation, balloon angioplasty)
- Open surgical interventions
- Emergency medical care (24 hours) in the following cases:
- Aortic rupture or dissection
- Acute stroke
- Bleeding from large vessels
- Acute arterial occlusion
- Traumatic vascular lesions
- Dialysis access formation
- Other medical services
The department specializes in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Carotid stenosis in the case of development of risk or previous stroke
- Intracranial and subclavian artery stenosis
- Thoracic or abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Aortic dissection
- Stenosis, occlusion and aneurysms of the arteries of the internal organs
- Stenosis, occlusion and aneurysms of the aorta, pelvic vessels and lower limbs
- Vascular tumors
- Congenital vascular malformations
- Varicose veins
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Diabetic foot syndrome
- Chronic wounds
- Prosthetic infection
- Compression syndromes (for example, Dunbar syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome)
- Rare vascular diseases
- Other pathologies of the circulatory system
Prof. Dr. med. Eike Sebastian Debus began his medical education at the University of Marburg, and then continued it at the University of Würzburg (Germany), where he received a diploma in General and Vascular Surgery. After his PhD thesis defense and appointment as PD, he focused his activities on vascular surgery. In 2003 he was appointed as the Head of the Department of Surgery at the General Hospital in Hamburg (District Hospital in Hamburg, Germany), before he moved to the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, where he was appointed as a Full Professor and Head of the Department of Vascular Surgery.
Activities and Positions
- Secretary General of the European Society for Vascular Surgery.
- 2013 - 2014 President of the German Vascular Society.
- Since 2013 President of the Society of Northwest German Surgeons.
- Since 2017 President of the Society of Northwest German Vascular Surgeons.
- 2000 - 2005 Chief Editor of the "Journal of Wound healing".
- 2004 - 2013 Chief Editor of the Gefässchirurgie, Springer Publishing House.
- Since 2014 Founder and First Editor of GefäßmedizinScan, Thieme Publishing House.
- Editorial Board Member of various international journals.
- Innovations in open and hybrid vascular procedures and devices.
- All vascular territories.
- 1st and 2nd ACST trials for carotid surgery in asymptomatic patients (Researcher/Operating Surgeon at the Medical Center in Hamburg).
- Vascular epidemiology and care for patients with vascular diseases.
- Aortic pathologies.
- Peripheral occlusive disease.
- Various projects of the European Society for Vascular Surgery, for example, the project of the European Organization VascuNet, the International Collaboration of Vascular Registries and the MDEpiNet research program.
- Board Member of the European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery and Committee Member for the Development of Recommendations of the European Society for Vascular Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Department of Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.