University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Department of Cardiac Surgery (289948)
Specialized in: cardiac surgery
About the department
The Department of Cardiac Surgery offers the full range of surgical treatment for patients with heart diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hermann Reichenspurner.
The priority fields of the department's work include minimally invasive treatment of valvular heart diseases, modern therapy for pathological changes of the coronary arteries, coronary artery bypass grafting (including with the help of minimally invasive techniques without using a heart-lung machine), etc. The department's competent cardiac surgeons annually perform more than 2,000 surgeries using the heart-lung machine and about 400 transcatheter aortic valve implantation procedures. The innovative surgical equipment and effective treatment methods are the basis of the successful clinical practice.
The department's medical team has long experience in surgical interventions on the cardiovascular system. Despite the fact that cardiac surgery is a high-tech medical discipline, the department's doctors pay due attention to a friendly, sympathetic attitude towards the patient, as well to his individual needs and wishes.
The service range of the department includes:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery
- Total arterial myocardial revascularization
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Minimally invasive mitral valve repair surgery
- Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- Minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting
- Hybrid coronary revascularization
- Catheter therapy in heart valve diseases
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- Catheter clipping of the mitral valve (MitraClip)
- Aortic valve reconstruction and treatment of bicuspid aortic valves, including aortic dilatation in bicuspid aortic valve
- Heart transplantation and surgical treatment of heart failure (ventricular assist device, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation)
- Lung transplantation
- Aortic surgery
- Surgical ablation
- Electrophysiological surgery
- Implantation and replacement of pacemaker, defibrillator
- Minimally invasive (endoscopic) implantation and removal of the epicardial probe
- Monitoring of pacemakers and defibrillators
- Other surgical options
- 1979 - 1985 School of Medicine, University of Munich.
- 1987 - 1989 Resident, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Groote Schuur and Red Cross Children’s Hospital, University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- 1991 - 1994 Fellow, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Grosshadern, Munich.
- 1994 Exam in Cardiothoracic Surgery and United States Medical Licensure Examination.
- 1995 Fellow, Heart/Lung Transplant, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Stanford University Hospital, Stanford, CA, USA.
- 1996 - 1997 Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Co-Director, Heart and Lung Transplantation, Cardiovascular Institute, University Hospital Dresden, Germany.
- 1997 - 2001 Associate Professor, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Grosshadern, Munich, Germany.
- Since 2001 Professor and Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiac Surgery, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, Medical Director of the University Heart Center Hamburg.
- 1984 Philip Caves Award of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- 1987 Award for the Best Doctoral Thesis of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- 1988 President Award of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- 1999 Franz J. Köhler Prize of the German Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- German Transplantation Society.
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (2011 - 2014 President).
- European Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.
- European Society for Organ Transplantation.
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (2001 - 2002 President).
- European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Department of Cardiac Surgery.
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home