Osteosynthesis for fractured forearm (program ID: 371191)
University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf
Karl-Heinz FroschSpecialized in: trauma, hand and reconstructive surgery
Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- physical examination
- review of medical records
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- indicators of inflammation (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- x-ray examination
- preoperative care
- titanium osteosynthesis plates placement
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- physiotherapeutic procedures
- orthopedic appliances
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- explanation of future recommendations
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf offers the full range of surgical treatment and reconstruction for injuries and lesions of the musculoskeletal system. The department specializes in severe pelvic and spinal injuries, inflammation and bone tissue tumors, treatment of life-threatening polytrauma, as well as the treatment of elderly patients. Also, the department has a special experience in the treatment of knee and shoulder injuries. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Karl-Heinz Frosch.
In addition to general trauma surgery, which covers both surgical and conservative treatment of all acute musculoskeletal injuries, the department includes such focuses as pelvic, elbow and knee surgery, hand surgery, musculoskeletal pain surgery, etc. In the field of knee surgery, the department is a recognized Center for Arthroscopic Surgery. Most often, the department treats patients with cruciate ligament, meniscal tears and cartilage lesions. The department offers all options of modern trauma surgery, ranging from simple meniscal resection to ligament replacement and cartilage transplantation. Another focus is on surgical procedures to correct the axis of the lower extremities.
Another key focus of the department is the treatment of bone and soft tissue tumors of the musculoskeletal system. At the same time, the priority is also given to the achievement of the optimal functional result. An important prerequisite for the successful treatment is close cooperation with various related specialties.
Within the framework of the specialized center, the department treats spinal injuries, which may occur not only due to an accident, but also due to osteoporosis. To eliminate chronic complaints, the patient may need surgical treatment. The decision on the availability of indications for surgery is made on the basis of the data obtained from modern imaging diagnostics (including MRI, CT, etc.). The specialists of the department also provide remote counseling for complex pathologies.
The medical services of the department include:
- Reconstruction/plastic surgery of all joints
- Diagnostics and treatment of bone inflammation
- General trauma surgery
- Thigh soft tissue and thigh bone injuries
- Ankle and foot injuries
- Lumbosacral spine and pelvic injuries
- Shoulder and shoulder girdle injuries
- Elbow and forearm injuries
- Neck injuries
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Knee and lower leg injuries
- Head injuries
- Thoracic injuries
- Foot surgery
- Joint replacement surgery/endoprosthetics
- Hand surgery
- Hand and wrist injuries
- Pathological changes: Dupuytren's disease, rhizarthrosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, lunate bone necrosis
- Spinal surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of musculoskeletal tumors
- Minimally invasive endoscopic procedures
- Shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee and ankle arthroscopy
- Plastic reconstructive interventions
- Shoulder surgery
- Bone-purulent surgery
- Sports medicine/sports traumatology
- Removal of metallic/foreign bodies
- Treatment of pressure ulcers
- Aesthetic surgery/plastic surgery
- Burn surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of arthropathies
- Diagnostics and treatment of systemic connective tissue diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of spinal and back deformities
- Diagnostics and treatment of spondylopathies
- Diagnostics and treatment of other spinal diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of muscular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the joint synovial membrane
- Diagnostics and treatment of other connective tissue diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of osteopathies and chondropathies
- Pediatric orthopedics
- Rheumatic surgery
- Pain therapy/multimodal pain therapy
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of other injuries, diseases and malformations of the musculoskeletal system
Education and Professional Career
- 05.1990 - 10.1995 Study of Medicine, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.
- 11.2009 Doctoral thesis defense on the subject: "Regulation and expression of CD40L in healthy persons and SLE patients".
- 01.2003 Board certification in Surgery.
- 09.2004 Senior Physician of the Department of Trauma, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital Göttingen.
- 09.2004 Specialization in Trauma Surgery.
- 01.2007 Habilitation in Trauma Surgery on the subject: "Development of stem cell-colonized titanium mini-prostheses for the superficial partial knee replacement surgery"; Award "Best Habilitation of the Semester" at the University of Göttingen.
- 08.2007 Board certification in Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery.
- 08.2007 Additional qualification "Special Trauma Surgery".
- 03.2008 Permanent Medical Representative in the Department of Trauma, Plastic and Restorative Surgery, University Hospital Göttingen.
- 07.2008 - 06.2010 Managing Director of the Department of Trauma, Plastic and Restorative Surgery, University Hospital Göttingen.
- 01.2009 - 12.2013 Member of the Temporary Advisory Board of the German Society for Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- 07.2010 - 07.2018 Head, Center for Trauma Surgery, Chief Physician of the Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Asklepios Clinic St. Georg, Hamburg.
- Since 09.2010 Instructor of the Society of Arthroscopy and Joint Surgery.
- Since 2014 Member of the Extended Presidium of AOTrauma Germany.
- 01.2014 - 09.2017 Deputy Head of the Program Committee of the German Society for Traumatology.
- 01.2014 - 10.2017 Head of the Trauma Committee of the Society of Arthroscopy and Joint Surgery.
- 01.2016 - 12.2017 President of the German Knee Society.
- Since 08.2018 Head of the Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf.
- Joint surgery.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Knee Society.
- German Society for Traumatology (DGU).
- German Society for Orthopedics and Traumatology (DGOU).
- Society for Arthroscopy and Joint Surgery (AGA).
- AO Trauma.
- German Society of Surgery.
- German Society for Endoprosthetics (AE).
- Society for Orthopedic Traumatologic Sports Medicine (GOTS) of the German Society for Osteology.
- "Emadeus" Club of the German Sports Aid Foundation for Former Top Athletes.
- German Association of Senior Hospital Physicians.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)