University Hospital Jena
Department of Otolaryngology (252207)
Specialized in: otolaryngology
The Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Jena is the certified Head and Neck Cancer Center. With a history of 120 years, it offers the full range of ENT treatments meeting the latest standards. The department has modern diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. The department has at its disposal 3 ultramodern operating rooms equipped with the state-of-the-art medical equipment. The head of the department is Prof. Dr. Orlando Guntinas-Lichius.
In cooperation with the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, the Department of Otolaryngology supervises the Head and Neck Cancer Center, which treats all benign and malignant tumors of the lips, oral cavity, pharynx, larynx, salivary glands, nose and paranasal sinuses, skull base and head, as well as facial skin using the latest methods.
The Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Jena is certified by the German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe) as the Head and Neck Cancer Center.
Another focus of the department is the treatment of hearing disorders in children. The University Hospital Jena provides hearing screening in newborns, treatment of hearing and speech problems in case of a cleft palate, speech disorders in childhood. Within the Institute for Phoniatrics, the medical facility treats problems with voice and speech, impaired speech flow, impaired perception and processing of information related to hearing, as well as deafness in adults in one or both ears. In addition, the department also specializes in cochlear implantation.
The medical team under the direction of Prof. Dr. Orlando Guntinas-Lichius has the state-of-the-art medical devices. These include surgical microscopes, laser systems for surgical procedures in anemia, nerve stimulation devices for facial nerve monitoring, video-assissted flexible and rigid endoscopes, miniature endoscopes for salivary duct endoscopy, argon-plasma projectors and computerized navigation systems for paranasal sinus surgery.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the external / middle / internal ear
- Middle ear surgery (corrective surgeries to improve hearing, surgical treatment of otosclerosis, hearing aid implants)
- Cochlear implantation
- Surgical correction of malformations of the ear
- Diagnosis / treatment of vertigo
- Screening of newborns
- Diagnosis and treatment of uppers respiratory tract infections
- Other diseases of the upper respiratory tract
- Diagnosis and treatment of Osler's disease and cystic fibrosis
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the paranasal sinuses
- Transnasal closure of liquor fistulas
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the tear ducts
- Plastic reconstructive surgery
- Pediatric trauma surgery (treatment of the injuries of the middle facial area, otobasal and rhinobasal fractures)
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the oral cavity
- Diagnosis and treatment of salivary gland diseases
- Salivary gland surgery with facial nerve monitoring, treatment of Frey syndrome with botulin toxin
- Diagnosis and treatment of laryngeal / tracheal disorders
- Jena, Germany