University Hospital Jena
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (274446)
James Friedrich Beck
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Jena ranks among the top German hospitals specializing in diabetes treatment!
The department offers the full range of highly specialized methods for the diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic pediatric diseases. The department's focuses include general pediatrics, pediatric oncology and hematology, neonatology and intensive care. The department specializes in perinatal medicine, pediatric oncology and stem cell transplantation, treatment of epilepsy, pediatric nephrology, diabetology, endocrinology, treatment of metabolic disorders, etc. The department has DIN EN ISO 9001 certification and it is the only University Pediatric Center, which provides maximum care for children and adolescents up to 20 years in Thuringia. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. James Friedrich Beck.
The department has advanced experience in the field of general pediatrics and all specializations in this field. For example, it successfully treats congenital and acquired diseases of the respiratory tract and lungs, endocrine glands, liver, gallbladder and pancreas, gastrointestinal tract, vascular anomalies, hematological diseases, etc. Special attention is paid to the diagnostics and treatment of cardiovascular diseases in children of all age groups. In the field of pediatric oncology, the department specializes in the treatment of leukemias, brain and spinal cord tumors, autonomic nervous system, malignant diseases of the lymph nodes, kidneys, musculoskeletal system, liver, hormone-producing glands, rare tumors. There is provided the outpatient counselling for the patients with kidney diseases, cardiac diseases and congenital heart defects, lung diseases, cystic fibrosis, etc.
In addition, the department offers the full range of intensive care services. The specialists have the cutting-edge heart-lung machines, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) devices, NO-therapy devices, as well as the very latest diagnostic and therapeutic methods, including the implantation of central venous catheters, ultrasound brain diagnostics, bronchoscopy (in collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Pulmonology), etc. In addition, the department's specialists have all the capabilities of modern perinatal medicine, which deals with the diagnostics and treatment of diseases during the perinatal period.
The diagnostic and therapeutic range of the department includes the following options:
- General pediatrics
- Congenital and acquired diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract
- Congenital and acquired diseases of the endocrine glands (thyroid, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, insular part of the pancreas)
- Congenital and acquired diseases of the liver, gallbladder and pancreas
- Congenital and acquired diseases of other gastrointestinal organs
- Congenital and acquired vascular anomalies
- Congenital and acquired kidney diseases
- Congenital and acquired metabolic disorders
- Congenital and acquired immunodeficiency disorders
- Congenital and acquired infectious and parasitic diseases
- Kidney failure
- Symptomatic treatment for chromosomal disorders
- Neurometabolic and neurodegenerative diseases
- Congenital and acquired neuromuscular diseases
- Care for patients before and after organ transplantation
- Pediatric psychology
- Pediatric oncology
- All types of leukemia
- Brain and spinal cord tumors
- Tumors of the autonomic nervous system
- Malignant diseases of the lymph nodes
- Kidney cancer
- Musculoskeletal tumors
- Liver cancer
- Tumors of the hormone producing glands
- Rare types of tumors
- Pediatric hematology
- Neonatology / pediatric emergency care
- Diagnostics and treatment of preterm and full-term newborns
- Perinatal Center
- And other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Education and Professional Experience
- 1980 - 1988 Study of Medicine and Biochemistry at the Free University of Berlin.
- 1985 - 1988 Writing of PhD thesis.
- 1988 Admission to medical practice (approbation).
- 1989 Title of Candidate of Medical Sciences.
- 1989 - 1990 Advanced training in General Pediatrics at the University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1990 - 1991 Neonatology, Department of Intensive Care in Newborns.
- 1991 - 1992 Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatric Intensive Care.
- 1992 - 1993 Neuropediatrics, Developmental Neurology.
- 1994 - 1995 Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation.
- 1995 Certified Pediatrician.
- 1996 - 1999 Senior Physician (Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation, Tuebingen).
- 1989 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1999 - 2007 (C3) Professor and Head of the Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology at the Clinic for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University of Greifswald.
- 2000 - 2002 Deputy Dean of the Greifswald Medical School.
- Since 2007 (W3) Professor and Director of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Jena.
- 2014 President of the Congress of the 110th Convention of the German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine in Leipzig.
- 1988 Admission to medical practice.
- 1995 Certified pediatrician.
- 2002 Specialized Hematologist and Oncologist in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 2008 Permission for certification of pediatricians and additional specialization in Hematology and Oncology in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- Society for Pediatric Oncology and Hematology.
- American Cancer Research Society.
- European Working Group on Bone Marrow Transplantation
- German Working Group on Gene Therapy.
- Thuringian Cancer Society.
- Commission Member of the Central Research Group on Soft Tissue Sarcomas (CWS).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Universitätsklinikum Jena
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Jena:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.