University Hospital Jena
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology (458762)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric diagnostic, interventional radiology, neuroradiology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Jena offers the full range of services in these medical fields. Here patients can undergo all modern imaging diagnostic studies and therapeutic procedures, the quality of which corresponds to high international standards. The department also specializes in conducting radiological studies in children and adolescents. The cutting-edge technical equipment and the rich clinical experience of doctors contribute to the successful work of the department. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ulf Teichgräber.
The department is part of three modern interdisciplinary centers: the Center for Diagnostics and Prevention of Breast Cancer, the Center for Diagnostics and Treatment of Prostate Cancer and the Center for Diagnostics and Treatment of Uterine Fibroids. The centers cooperate with the relevant departments of the hospital (for example, the Department of Urology, Gynecology), and thus provide accurate diagnostics and comprehensive, effective treatment even in the most complex clinical cases.
A special feature of the department is the performance of radiological studies in infants, young children and adolescents (the only department of its kind in the federal state of Thuringia). To this end, doctors use special equipment that meets the needs of young patients. Most often, specialists of the department resort to imaging diagnostics in children to detect bone fractures or pathological changes in the structure of tissues and organs. The main diagnostic methods in the field of pediatric radiology include X-ray, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT). All studies are conducted with the best possible safety for the child's organism, which guarantees a minimal radiation dose.
Also, priority clinical focuses of the department include neuroradiology. In close cooperation with the Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, as well as with the Department of Neuropathology, doctors provide quality neuroradiologic diagnostics and therapy. The focus is on endovascular treatment of vascular malformations of the head and neck, spinal cord, endovascular treatment of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, and analgesic therapy.
Since 2013, the department has a specialized outpatient clinic for minimally invasive interventions and postoperative care. Any kind of therapy is prescribed individually, with due consideration of a specific clinical situation. The main therapeutic options of the outpatient clinic include the following minimally invasive procedures (interventional radiology):
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA)
- Laser angioplasty
- Angioplasty with stenting
- Thrombectomy with the use of Rotarex system
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)
- Port system implantation
- Other treatments
The service range of the department includes:
- All types of X-ray studies
- Ultrasound examinations
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Breast cancer screening with the use of magnetic resonance imaging/MR mammography (within the interdisciplinary center)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the prostate to detect prostate cancer and determine its stage, prostate biopsy (within the interdisciplinary center)
- Prostate embolization for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (within the interdisciplinary center)
- Uterine fibroid embolization (within the interdisciplinary center)
- Conventional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain and spinal cord
- Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging
- Doppler tissue imaging
- Functional MRI
- Computer tomography (CT) of the brain and spinal cord
- Angiography (contrast-enhanced X-ray diagnostics of vascular disease)
- Digital subtraction angiography
- Conventional X-ray studies of the brain and spinal cord
- Other services
- Pediatric radiology
- X-ray and fluoroscopy (for example, to examine lungs, musculoskeletal system, spine, skull, etc.)
- Computed tomography, including contrast-enhanced one (for example, to examine the skull, lungs, abdominal organs, spine, musculoskeletal system, etc.)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (for example, to examine all organs of the abdominal cavity, brain, musculoskeletal system, lungs, whole body, functional diagnostics of the brain, gastrointestinal tract, heart, vessels, kidneys and urinary tract)
- Ultrasound examinations (for example, to examine brain, joints, soft tissues, thyroid gland, blood vessels (Doppler and duplex sonography), bones in suspected osteoporosis, bone decalcification, etc.)
- Other services
- 2005 - 2007 Master of Business Administration, Frankfurt School of Finance.
- 1997 Harvard School of Public Health.
- 1996 - 1997 Faculty of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Clerkship.
- 1990 - 1997 Master of Business Administration, State Examination in Human Medicine.
- 1990 - 1997 Study of Human Medicine, Hannover Medical School.
- May 2003 - July 2010 Senior Physician, Head of the Section of Interventional Radiology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- October 1990 - May 1997 Student/Doctoral Fellow, Hannover Medical School.
- 1996 - 1996 Clerkship, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital.
Licenses and Certificates
- June 2007 Certificate of the Head of the Seminar of the German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (without expiration).
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology.
University Hospital Jena:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.